Sexism in the Media

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Sexism in the Media

Postby Sabina » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:10 pm

"Adverts which use sex to sell or promote gender stereotypes could be banned by the EU", says the Telegraph.co.uk. This is old news, from 2008.

Here is what happens, in a nutshell.
People, mostly women, are stereotyped. The advertisements with these stereotypical people act as a semi-subtle, yet constant brainwash... affecting consumers and "teaching them" what to find attractive, how they should look, and what they should buy.

How are we to ever become an equal society when something as blatantly degrading as sexist advertisements is part of most people's daily life?

Here is what a man named Jack thinks:
"This is so stupid they’re not enforcing stereotypes, they’re just using the most appealing images that will get their products to sell. If it happens to be a woman wearing nothing but strands of hair covering her nipples, then so be it. It’s not like they’re saying, “Hey, all you women out there, you need to walk down the street it nothing but high heels.” This is just an appeal for ugly women in the EU to feel like they aren’t ugly. They have a problem with their own self image because they don’t look like these models, and so they are using their power and abusing the position that they are in to challenge a company’s right to advertise their products in whatever way they choose."

Another person called Jools says:
"They aren’t saying ‘hey ladies, walk around with nothing but high heels on’. That isnt the stereotype or the aim, they are deliberately reducing women to an object to be looked at, encouraging men to view women as sexual items to be picked up and enjoyed at will, like the product. All the girls in the ’sexy ads’ are pretty much nude. They could be wearing all kinds of clothes to be made sexy, alluring, intelligent or charismatic but no. They are naked. Is that supposed to make ugly women feel attractive? The point is that the sexy ads aren’t damaging self confidence, there are plenty of other things that do that such as womens mags, weight loss ads, special k aimed at women, but because the ads are reducing women to a physical shape, and a product. This sustains the dominant male groups values – we like our women naked, vulnerable. To obsess over them reinforces the fact that women are sexual objects, the viewer is encouraged to be obsessed with her naked figure, not her wit or intelligence. Their poses are all submissive too, hows that for a stereotype. Beckham is practically roaring at the camera, and is starting to get up and come towards you, he looks powerful which is admittedly another stereotype of males, but none of the females are powerful looking, and none of the males look feminine. Its saying ‘this is our society, fit in!’"

Questions:
1. Should sexist adverts be banned? What is your opinion?
2. Have you ever asked yourself to which extent you are already brainwashed, when it comes to you personally, as well as your view of others?
3. Are you aware of sexism in daily life?
4. How do you react to it?
5. Do you try to affect a change in any way? If yes, then how?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Sexism in the Media

Postby mirjana » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:28 pm

Questions

Eva-Britt Svensson, the Swedish MEP who recently obtained the European Parliament's backing for the UNIFEM campaign against violence against women, is the GUE/NGL group's candidate as the next EP president.
In a statement issued immediately after her nomination, Eva-Britt Svensson said "I want to see a radically different policy compared to the rest of the candidates. I strive for a Europe that truly priorities human needs rather than the needs of the market."
It is brilliantly explained and I stand for banning sexist adverts.
There is a little danger though. Who will be the team that will estimate what belong to that? I put this question because there is always a danger to split into the opposite when trying to clean something which is not clean. In that sense it is very important to have natural and respectively expressed reasons what is what so that we do not become sexual inquisition.

2. Have you ever asked yourself to which extent you are already brainwashed, when it comes to you personally, as well as your view of others?
Yes I have. Having two daughters who are both very aware it wouldn't be possible not to. They are my Eva-Britt Svensson. <3
Yes I am. Maybe not as much as my daughters, but enough to react in every situation I was aware of the manifestation of sexism. Beside, this answer is very connected to the answer nr. 2.
I react the same way as I react to any other injustice that I meet, opposing and with as much arguments and explanations that could contribute to the change of the particular individual or group opinion I oppose. When I was younger I was more radical than I am today.
5. Do you try to affect a change in any way? If yes, then how?[
I think that I have always been a type who contributed to changes by personal and educational example wherever I used to live.
During my study I was revolutionary and took part in each concrete fight for better world, equal rights for all people and things like that.
When I married, in the family of my husband, with quite patriarch education and with lot of daughters, I was the one who has always tried to influence their awareness about their unique nature and all rights to show it and stand for it. Their words later when they became young women have shown me how much I influenced them. It was more that I personally was aware of.
During my professional career as a chef redactor I was opposing the so called directory followers’ line under the danger to lose my job. Actually it would turn that even if you oppose directly you are more respected than those who are strict followers.
I do hope that I was a positive example for my daughters at least in a decent numbers of cases for standing for things I considered important and worth that.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Ryan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:51 pm

Sabina wrote:Questions:
5. Do you try to affect a change in any way? If yes, then how?

Answers:
    1. Yes, I think there shouldn't be any objectification of any person or group of people.
    2. Yes, I have...
    3. Most definitely!
    4. I get irritated.
    5. Yes, by not contributing and by making sure my children are aware of the problem.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby Sabina » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:29 pm

I have also observed that a lot of it still goes by unnoticed... like, in a world in which certain very extreme things become normal, or even worse, are called "natural", lesser instances of the same are not recognized as that at all. And very often someone who does recognize it is proclaimed nuts (or synonyms thereof).
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby dermot » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:42 pm

Sex sells, always has, I'm pretty sure it always will.

In answer to the questions posed- I would say I'm fully aware of media led influences.

But here's another question.

That women are used and objectified in advertising is obvious. What may be less obvious is who is being targeted as the paying consumer.
Do men find skeletal models attractive?
Do men find women sporting orange tan from a bottle attractive?
Do men 'need' to see women dicing with disaster whilst perched precariously stop 6inch heels?
Who came up with the idea that fake nails were where its at?
The handbag phenomenon?

Personally I buy Mach3 shaving blades because they are sharper than the others, and last longer. Not because there's a blonde staring at my not so chisseled features.

So that's my question, is it the ultimate irony that the objectification of woman is in the end sold to their own gender?

Please don't assume anything other than innocence at play here!
D.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby Sabina » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:45 pm

Dermot, who is being targeted here is beside the point. I started replying to you about that aspect specifically, and it was a very long reply, but then I realized that it has nothing to do with sexism anymore. It still has to do with advertising and brainwashing, but that's not the topic. The topic is sexism in the media. Objectification... whether it is objectification of men or objectification of women, and both exist. Objectification strips us of our humanity and it is a form of brainwashing as well. It is a way to manipulate people, if they allow it, and most do!

Objectification leads to many very sick forms of behavior... some socially accepted, others still treated as a disease.

Anorexia... people feeling like they are fat even when they look like this:
anorexia.jpg
anorexia.jpg (58.99 KiB) Viewed 3097 times

Approximately 90% of people with anorexia are female.

Here is a video on sexual violence and objectification of women in music videos... again, teaching impressionable viewers how women should be treated. Please watch it.

Here are some popular examples... What is the message of these ads?

sexism-dg1.jpg
sexism-dg1.jpg (73.84 KiB) Viewed 3097 times

sexism-dg2.jpg
sexism-dg2.jpg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 3097 times

"Exposure to sexist magazine ads featuring women as sexual objects produced a stronger acceptance of sex role stereotyping and of rape myths among male undergraduates."
- Report of the APA Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls
Sabina

Postby dermot » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:03 pm

We agree Sabina, nothing i wrote can be in any way seen as condoning the practise.

I had hoped that what i said would be appreciated.....that without a market, this objectification would not happen. Simply that.
The video examples you posted are degrading.

You asked me to please watch one of them.......it would seem you think i need to be convinced?

Why would you think i need to be convinced?......have i not already stated my feelings re this form of control/abuse/etc?

My point was as stated......i think its valid.
d.
dermot

Postby Sabina » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:09 pm

I didn't think you need to be convinced that it exists, I think you are perfectly aware of that. Your point in saying that women are being targeted with certain things is ok... yes, they are. Men are being targeted with other things. Both are being brainwashed... It's called sexism in the media... sexism goes both ways.

The opening line of your first reply ("Sex sells, always has, I'm pretty sure it always will. ") suggests that nothing can be done about this. Is that correct?
Sabina

Postby dermot » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 pm

No, its not correct.
What do you suggest i do?
d.
dermot

Postby Sabina » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:58 pm

=0)

Ok, well here is an inspirational real-life story... at least I thought it was very inspirational.

In 1999 the Austrian Railways (ÖBB) had an ad poster, that looked like this:

oebb.jpg
oebb.jpg (11.23 KiB) Viewed 3091 times

"Heiße Fracht" means "Hot Load". This image is not even SO bad.. there are many that are much worse, right?
Still, many people were shocked with this and condemned it as being sexist. 3 model type women with the text "Hot load"... what is that supposed to imply?

It was put to a vote and it was decided that it was not sexist with the following explanation:
- The idea was to get the trucks off the streets, so to promote the use of trains for transport of goods instead.
- 57% of the population in Austria is female, hence the 3 women in the ad.
Those two points were the explanation, the rationalization of that particular ad.

The thing is... the ÖBB pulled the ad back because it was received so negatively by the public. So even though the official vote was that the ad was allowed to stay, the people still won.
Not to mention, it doesn't pay off to create ads and then pull them back, so I'm sure the Austrian Railways were more careful in the future of how they advertise...

There was a catalog I used to order from every once in a while. What they had fit my personal style, and I must admit, I also liked that the images they used to display the items were very natural. The women weren't 12 year olds made up to look like they are 20. They were real women.
Then one day I got their newest catalog and it was filled with pictures of girls with fake breasts. Like very obviously fake breasts...
I called and told them that I don't want to receive their catalog anymore. I decided not to buy anything from them anymore. I believe it is our duty to affect change first and foremost through our choices, and then continue (like in the case of the Austrian Railways above).
Sabina

Next

Return to Spirited Debate