Serial killers and stuff

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Serial killers and stuff

Postby Metatron » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Any of you know the show Dexter? If you don't, here you can find out about it. If any of you does know the show, is watching it, then I'd like to warn you that there's a major SPOILER coming up ahead.

The other day I found a comment on a video on youtube. The vid showed Debra talking to her psychiatrist. Her shrink suspected that over the years she has developed deep feelings for Dexter, her adoptive brother.

What really surprised me that people were very negative about the development, saying how wrong and immoral it was. Then I posted a comment saying it is funny how people have no problem watching a show about a serial killer and even cheer for him, yet they're outraged at a woman having developed romantic feelings for her adoptive brother.

So the reason I'm posting this is because I think it's interesting how some people view morality and I wanted to point this out, but also to ask about your opinions.

I personally don't think it's wrong - they could have perfectly normal children because they're not blood related and aside from that, I see no other rational argument against incest (this doesn't include incest between a parent and their child - which is child sexual abuse, naturally).

And as for Dexter, I love his character but I don't agree with everything he does.
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Re: Serial killers and stuff

Postby Sabina » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:57 pm

I just lost my entire reply to you..... here goes again, probably slightly abbreviated this time.

I haven't watched the series. I read about it, saw it had top reviews, but when I saw that it is about a serial killer, I decided not to watch it... What made you decide to watch it, by the way?
Not what you like about it now, but initially? What was the attraction?

In regards to the question you posed, I can only answer generally speaking, without any regard for the specific case, and it seems like a clear case of double morals.

A boy and a girl grow up in the same building, playing together every day, doing their homework together, etc., and they become very close friends. They spend every day together and as time goes by, some years later, they eventually begin to realize that they are in love with each other, additionally to being close friends.

What is the difference between the two I mentioned and the two in the series? That in your case they are raised by the same people, correct?
It doesn't seem like that should be such a large issue.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Serial killers and stuff

Postby Metatron » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:54 pm

Before I started to watch it I'd heard about it a few times but never enough to get into it. It was later recommended to me by a friend. I like cop shows anyway but most of them are pretty much the same format, nothing too interesting. So I thought that a show about a serial killer who works as a forensic blood spatter analyst may have something to it, so I gave it a shot. What got me almost immediately was the depth of it and how challenging it was. Dexter's inner monologues, analysees of people and moral issues are very, very interesting and psychology always interested me. Sure, there's gore in it and sure it's rather touchy to cheer for a serial killer, but I'm glad there's someone out there who's willing to touch these subjects on such large scales. I think that simply because of the psychological aspect you would like it too, Sabina :)

And now regarding the question I asked, you were right. Debra is starting to fall in love with Dexter, her adoptive brother, who she shared a household with and were raised by the same man.

The example you posted was what I had in mind too; there's a pair of kids who grow up together and fall in love. One is a pair of siblings, the other is a pair of friends. So the problem is within the labels, not the unique situation they actually represent.

I just thought it was interesting that people like to watch a show about a serial killer and even grow to like him, yet they are outraged at a woman falling in love with her adoptive brother.
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Return to Spirited Debate