Semantic Saturation

Not just for linguists and logophiles (word lovers)
The exploring, discovering and discussing of words, language & communication from different perspectives.

Semantic Saturation

Postby Sabina » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:40 pm

This was too sweet, so I had to share it with you....

Semantic Saturation (or semantic satiation) is a cognitive neuroscience phenomenon in which repetition causes a word or phrase to temporarily lose meaning for the listener, who can only process the speech as repeated meaningless sounds.

Many other names have been used for what appears to be essentially the same process: inhibition, refractory phase and mental fatigue, lapse of meaning, work decrement, cortical inhibition, adaptation, extinction, satiation, reactive inhibition, stimulus satiation, reminiscence, verbal satiation, and verbal transformation.

In literature:
In Terry Carr's short story "Stanley Toothbrush", the protagonist repeats the word "shelf" to himself so many times that it loses meaning, to the point where all the shelves in his house disappear. He also exhibits semantic generation when repeatedly talking about something leads it to become real.
Source: Wikipedia

__1__

Personally, I was amused by the ramifications of this explanation for our brain and its basic needs. The need for change in particular. Without it, we become dull, our senses are bored and shut down.

Can you think of any time when you were semantically satiated?
Can you think of any time when (some of) your words had this effect on the listener?

If you have any other thoughts or associations with, or in regards to, this phenomenon, please share.
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Semantic Saturation

Postby ubermensch » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:15 am

there is a book i was reading about psychological experiments to perform on yourself. one of them was repeating your name over and over again , as if calling yourself from a distance . very interesting effects, almost creepy how the self seems to be far away , like you see yourself from a great distance calling and calling . at first it does seem kind of silly but it does produce effects. especially if you begin to adjust the volume of your voice. surprisingly it also brought back old memories from when i was a child.
The more I give to consciousness/awareness , the more consciousness gives to me . .... ....
ubermensch

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Hitlers War David Irving
Favorite movie: The Game
Things I like: reading , learning , yoga ,chess and chess problems , lifting weights, becoming a better person physically and mentally , meditation, world religions
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 6

Postby mirjana » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:37 pm

Yes, it is amazing how words and working with them can change our reality. Similar to Terry Carr's short story "Stanley Toothbrush, actually all techniques of Spiritual Technology, system developed by Z.M. Slavinski , is based on the right way of working with words. I shall mention for this time only a few of them , Verbal Reduction and Expansion, Ivana End of Words and Gnostic Intensive.
Words have hidden power in their inner core. We put our thoughts, emotions and other elements into words, symbols, sounds, and they become creative elements of our subjective reality, we create our reality.
And it goes in both directions, we not only create our subjective universe with words, we also able to discreate it, or better to say transform it into another , higher level of reality.
When we change words in a special way, we change that reality.
Any problem, emotional, psychological, spiritual, usually vanish in a very short period of time. At the same time on the place in the mind where was located the problem, there is new opposite and valuable creation, a positive state of mind, new and optimistic energy. One enters into the higher level of Being, emotional, mental and Spiritual.
If we want to experience ourselves, following the question “Who am I?”, instead of Direct Experience of our self, we get all things we learned from our surrounding, from our parents and other members of our family, over the things we have learned in school or read in books, or we have heard from other people or learned from authorities. They are all different versions of indirect experiences.
The only way to have Direct Experience of Truth on the eternal question “Who am I” is to empty all the contents of our mind. When we attain that emptiness, Direct Experience of Truth happens spontaneously and naturally.
The special technique called Gnostic Intensive enables that! Then it happens the phenomenon similar Terry Carr's short story "Stanley Toothbrush, all the mind content vanish and instead of that, from the core of the Being comes the answer, which brings the person into the short state of enlightenment. Fantastic experience!!
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:23 pm

ubermensch wrote:there is a book i was reading about psychological experiments to perform on yourself. one of them was repeating your name over and over again , as if calling yourself from a distance . very interesting effects, almost creepy how the self seems to be far away , like you see yourself from a great distance calling and calling . at first it does seem kind of silly but it does produce effects. especially if you begin to adjust the volume of your voice. surprisingly it also brought back old memories from when i was a child.

I can imagine that being kind of creepy.... and that it may produce some interesting side-effects.
I just might give this a try! ;0)
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Return to Words & Language