Selfless Love

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: Selfless Love

Postby ANURAG » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:27 pm

SABINA,

I AGREE WITH YOU ON "SELFLESS LOVE" BUT COULDN'T REALLY ARRIVE TO A CONCLUSION REGARDING "MOTHER'S LOVE"? I THINK MOMS NEVER EXPECT ANYTHING IN RETURN...SHE LOVES HER CHILD UNCONDITIONALLY AND WITHOUT EXPECTING ANYTHING IN RETURN?
ANURAG

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: GITA
Favorite movie: WEDNESDAY
Things I like: BOOKS AND MOVIES WHICH LEAVES A QUESTION FOR YOU TO THINK UPON.
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 0

Postby ANURAG » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:27 pm

SABINA,

I AGREE WITH YOU ON "SELFLESS LOVE" BUT COULDN'T REALLY ARRIVE TO A CONCLUSION REGARDING "MOTHER'S LOVE"? I THINK MOMS NEVER EXPECT ANYTHING IN RETURN...SHE LOVES HER CHILD UNCONDITIONALLY AND WITHOUT EXPECTING ANYTHING IN RETURN?
ANURAG

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: GITA
Favorite movie: WEDNESDAY
Things I like: BOOKS AND MOVIES WHICH LEAVES A QUESTION FOR YOU TO THINK UPON.

Postby MongooseEnya » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:11 am

In large part, I would tend to agree with your viewpoint on selfless love. However, there is one specific case that I feel must be examined. There is a husband and wife (or whatever strong loving relationship you can imagine - mother and child, father and child, etc.). One faces an incredibly difficult decision - he/she can die to save the other, or save him/herself but let his/her loved one die. If he/she chooses to die in return for the other's life, they have not gained anything as they will not be alive to gain it. However, they still gave an incredible gift - life.
MongooseEnya

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: White Fang
Favorite movie: The Machinist
Things I like: Dogs, Animals, Knowledge, Books
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired

Postby Sabina » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:25 am

MongooseEnya,
If you believe in the concept of an eternal spirit, then death is merely a physical change and the spirit has "gained" by dieing and through the sacrifice just the same.

Anurag,
Are you talking about the "Ideal Mother"?
Mothers aren't always as you described.... especially as the child grows older and is no longer "an innocent child".
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Metatron » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:37 pm

MongooseEnya wrote:In large part, I would tend to agree with your viewpoint on selfless love. However, there is one specific case that I feel must be examined. There is a husband and wife (or whatever strong loving relationship you can imagine - mother and child, father and child, etc.). One faces an incredibly difficult decision - he/she can die to save the other, or save him/herself but let his/her loved one die. If he/she chooses to die in return for the other's life, they have not gained anything as they will not be alive to gain it. However, they still gave an incredible gift - life.

Sure, you could say that and in a way you're right. But let's look at this way: if that relative decided not to sacrifice their life for the sake of their loved one, they'd have to live the rest of their life knowing they could've done something or simply live thier lives with an empty space caused by their loved one passing away. Even if there's no afterlife like Sabina suggested, they still have gained something, or rather, have given up on something negative.

Regarding the question at hand, I agree with Sabina and I generalize it further and say I don't believe in selflessness in anything and I don't understand why we need a concept of selflessness, when it seems kind of counterproductive. Why should I not enjoy something I have done for someone else? The fact that there's an emotional gain involved in performing a good deed motivates one to be as effective in its performance as possible.

I should think that someone who's not emotionally touched by the happiness of someone else (which has been brought about by them) may as well be diagnosed as a psychopath. There's always some kind of gain which is at the very least emotional.

Another form of selflessness would be if I hated every single aspect and result of the deed I have performed for the good of someone else. I really don't think that's a good motivation at all. Is it so wrong to grow as a person along with others?

I think it's the same in love. What's the point of chasing a relationship where I'm only a giver and I don't feel like I'm appreciated. Humans by definition need the closeness (not only physical) of another human being. Every baby needs the love of their mother or someone who's willing to give it to them.I can't function properly without feeling the love of someone else, I believe such an existence would be nothing but destructive in the long run. Naturally, there are exceptions to every rule but indidivuals who do not need affection have probably become such persons because of special circumstances.
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Postby poornima » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:34 am

I agree. Love is not selfless. Love is definitely 'life's longing for itself'.
poornima

Favorite book: The Alchemist
Favorite movie: walking in the clouds
Things I like: Music, books, chatting with friends, visiting places

Postby mirjana » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:49 am

poornima wrote:I agree. Love is not selfless. Love is definitely 'life's longing for itself'.

Hi poornima,
welcome to Deep Spirits. =0)
It is simple but very nice answer.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby dermot » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Selfless Love...Love itself, what is its absence?

I've been wondering about this recently, specifically is evil and anyone approaching being evil simply out of contact with Love as it is?

The more we connect with Love...which is innate, the more we stay in that zone. Sometimes its easy, sometimes its not so easy. Making a decision (which it requires?) to stay in touch with Love as a motivating force is a choice. If we choose to act with anger or any of the negative emotions often enough, do we lose Love as a moral guide and allow our reasoning to become skewed? Is this what happens when someone eventually goes off the deep end and engages in mindless violence for example?

Love is a life force and disconnecting from it might just remove our ability to reason?

What do you think?

d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Kudos: 52

Previous

Return to Spirited Debate