Sadness

Not just for linguists and logophiles (word lovers)
The exploring, discovering and discussing of words, language & communication from different perspectives.

Re: Sadness

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:19 pm

I agree completely......for me it is what motivates me to make the most of every day.....hour....minute. As someone said......"Time is an illusion created by God to give value to life."

My moments of regret are brief and usually when I am tired, hungry or worried about something. My habit is to remind myself that "This too shall pass" and then I try to "Fake it til I make it".

Your grandmother set a valuable example for her grandchildren and all of us. I hope I can do that also.

In that vein I have found the meeting place of "of old guys who like to play basket ball". About 30 of them over 60 play twice a week and many of them have paticipated in the senior olympics for Basketball.

I went and played with them for the first time last wekend. They were pretty good, but I was almost afraid I was going to hurt those old fossils! 80S I'm so used to playing with the 2o year olds that I was a "Superstar" with the old farts. B0)

I found out recently at an AA meeting that one of my buddies there plays BB so met him at the gym. He is 64 and played big time SEC BB for Mississippi State many years ago. He challenged me to best out of 100 free throw. "Pride cometh before the fall." He beat my 83 out of 100 with 92 foul shots made out of 100. I'llm get him next time. We are looking for a 3rd oldtimer to compete in the 3 on 3 BB Senior Olympics coming up in a couple of months. B0)
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby dermot » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:27 pm

This topic 'Sadness', is i suppose about the feeling of being or feeling 'sad'. Its a good topic because most people dont acknowledge the feeling and dont know how to 'enjoy' it. That sounds weird, but it is a feeling with potential like any other feeling.
As someone who has 'enjoyed' the feeling, i would like to say i quite enjoy feeling happiness too. In many ways the pendulum swings both directions to the extent that you allow either feeling to be recognised.
Sometimes my heart just bounces along with the feeling of happiness, this can come from many sources, humour, appreciation, acceptance, music, nature, ......lots of things, but mostly connection with special people.
Its interesting, where different people get their motivation from, and probably difficult for some to understand someone saying sadness is 'good' . Give me a face that displays an array of emotion any day over the dreaded 'shiny happy people' brigade - but thats just me!
dermot
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Postby Sabina » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:36 pm

=0) =0/ <3

I'll communicate in sign language from now on.
No, I won't.
I understand what you are saying. I think Ryan does as well, by the way, it's just that for him it is a slightly more abstract type of understanding, while for me it is concrete.
The thing is.. there are different kinds of sadness. There is the kind which is close to desperation, but some people still call it sadness. There is nostalgic contemplation, but some people call it sadness. There is a sadness which you can share with others, and immediately it becomes a unique brand of happiness. Like a happy sadness or a sad happiness.
And many other types of "sadness"....
Anyway, I love you people, whether you are happy or sad. =0/

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby dermot » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:12 pm

I agree, i dont have any problem with anyone not understanding the idea of sadness, i really dont, its almost too abstract for words! =0(
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Previous

Return to Words & Language