Sadness

Not just for linguists and logophiles (word lovers)
The exploring, discovering and discussing of words, language & communication from different perspectives.

Sadness

Postby Sabina » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Sad Sand and Sandals
I wonder how they are related.

S.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Sadness

Postby Ryan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:58 pm

Well... if you walk a few miles with sand in your sandals you might be sad...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby Heidi » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:11 pm

When I feel lonely or sad, I put on my sandals, go the the beach, sit on the sand and watch the sun go down on the horizon...
Heidi

State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 17

Postby mirjana » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:30 pm

What sadness is for the sad man, that is the sand for sandals.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby theadvertheretic » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:38 pm

To the standing sands,
I have no wish to walk thee -
For the sandals to my soul are in a momentary plea.
महीप

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
theadvertheretic

State of Mind or Tendency: Adventurous - male
Kudos: 7

Postby dermot » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:26 pm

Interesting topic again !
Personally i kind of like the feeling of sadness, just that feeling without anger, resentment, or real pain. For me its a powerful reflective place out of which normally comes creativity and inspiration.
Not sure many people would understand this, but i wonder if its sometimes confused with other emotions.
If sadness brings me closer to creativity then it brings me closer to the essentials, beauty, truth, and love. Buddists say life is suffering, that its inevitable, so sadness for me is just that. To me that does'nt mean i am powerless and must suffer, i can search for happiness which is the reason to live.
The feeling of being alone, with maybe some good music to listen to and nothing to do except look out at the rain (usually) is hard to beat.
dermot
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby Sabina » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:44 pm

So very out of context, just because it matches the title of the topic, I add these beloved lines:

"I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

=0/

To inspiration, creativity & beauty - in all shapes & forms!

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Ryan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:06 pm

I know for me when I am sad I can write some decent poetry, but it just doesn't flow otherwise. I believe that my ability for writing poetry is just one aspect of my creativity. And it becomes a way for me to either fill an emptiness or to release those feelings in order to make room for more joyous feelings... or even a way to reflect upon that which has caused me to feel sad in the case that it is an issue I haven't completely worked out.

I don't make an attempt or even dance around an implication of trying to say sadness (or any "negative" emotion) doesn't serve a meaningful purpose in creativity or engaging one to progress in development... as with anger, pain, and all those other feelings/emotions.

Here's my deal... My main two shared emotions are happiness and anger... so much falls under both of these... for me. All, what I would refer to as negative emotions, are outwardly visible to others as anger. Somebody keys my car... I'm sad but you will see anger, Someone I care about flippantly let's me know they don't care for my opinion... I'm hurt but you will see anger, my kid runs out into the street and almost gets hit by a car... I'm scared to death but you will see anger. Maybe this has to do with me as a kid... I didn't weigh over 100 pounds (45 Kilos) until I was 13-14 years old... my best defense was CRAZY RAGE! A year later I weighed over 155 lbs (70 Kilos) and was around 6 foot (182 cm) tall. Crazy rage went along way then... it was easy and it did the job. Was it good... no... it was destructive and it was a means to control by intimidation. Was I creative... you betcha!! I could belt out a stanza of some hard core metal to fit any situation.

I am not trying to imply that your sadness or the appreciation you have for it is in any means a negative projection upon anyone in your surroundings. What I am trying to say is that... I am, was, and always will be a creative person... and no matter what my state of mind... or more to the point... emotional state of being, but regardless of creativity I still believe we are all meant to be happy.

I am definitely not saying any of this to change your mind about embracing your sadness... as a matter of fact... reading over this now... I don't know what I am trying to say any longer... I knew when I started writing this post...
Ryan

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:47 am

Unfulfilled potential and wasted years are what makes a fella sad as he gets older and suddenly realizes that "There is not always another day" =0(
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Ryan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:44 am

Ah! Don't sell yourself short and end time before time has ended. My great grandmother lived to be 101 years old. She died when I was in high school. She was bed ridden most of the time I knew her as a result of a couple broken hips from falls and a couple of minor strokes. But what a life she had! The stories, the life in her... she made some of the most beautiful quilts, kept scrap books. My only regret is that I didn't appreciate her and her stories enough... but I cherish the time I did get to spend time with her. I could be sad because I didn't appreciate her enough... or I can be happy for all the time I was able to spend with her... I pick the latter. That's the way she lived her life... most of the time I saw her get out of the house it was to be hospitalized. But she enjoyed the life she had and appreciated every moment she had in that life.

Appreciation for those things you still have... not sadness for those you don't...

I don't know... for me sadness is exhausting... it's almost like walking through knee deep mud. While happiness, on the other hand, is more like floating on a cloud...

Maybe it boils down to "different stroke for different folks" and some people thrive from sadness the way I thrive on happiness.... I don't know... it's just hard for me to imagine as a result of my life's experiences.

You ever watched the animated movie "Monsters Inc."? I like that movie... It isn't the greatest animated movie ( I like Cars much more ) but the main message of the movie is the power of joy and love. If you haven't seen it I'll summarize it for you... basically it's about boogie men... or creatures in the closet or under the bed... and it shows the parallel of the lives of those "monsters". In the monster's world their energy resource comes from the screams and cries of children and they live similar lives like we do. Until one monster get's the feeling that there is something wrong with that and through a series of events it turns out that the amount of energy they can get out of a child's laughter is a hundred times more concentrated and powerful than that of the child's scream and cries... That's pretty much been my experience as well...
Ryan

Next

Return to Words & Language