Resignation into Acceptance

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Resignation into Acceptance

Postby IsonaliAki » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:29 pm

Greetings All!

I'm not entirely sure what intro to put into the question here, so I'll just throw out the thought and see what happens...

Though the two seem to be one in the same, there is a line between resignation of any given situation and acceptance of any given situation. My question is... in your own thoughts... what are the differences between the two, and how would someone move from resignation into acceptance, most especially in a situation over when they must be a part of but have no apparent control over.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Dave
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry
And has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams
IsonaliAki

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 3

Re: Resignation into Acceptance

Postby Daywhite » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:37 pm

Initially, thinking of this, I thought resignation comes before acceptance. For instance, I just finished watching a World Cup match between Ghana and the U.S. The U.S. was down for much of the match. They were able to tie it up, holding that, forcing extra time. Ghana scored early in extra time. With the way the U.S. was playing, I had little hope they would be able to come back yet again. I was, as I see it, resigned to the fact they were likely going to lose. However, I maintained a sliver of hope, of a possibility, so I hadn't fully accepted they were going to lose. And that, to me, is the difference in the two. With resignation, there may still be hope, though slim. But, acceptance only comes when no hope remains.

This may not be the way others see this; I can only answer for myself. A similar example as the one above would be in a relationship. Say a guy is talking with his friends, saying how he feels his marriage/relationship is going bad, and he feels there's nothing he can do to save it. He may ask what his friends think. He's resigned the relationship is ending, but he continues to hold out hope there may be some answer. He may only reach acceptance after divorce papers are signed.

There are five stages of grief, denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Acceptance comes after everything else. I would see resignation as falling somewhere between bargaining and depression. One still looks for answers, still harbors hope. But, in the end, the last thing an individual can do is simply accept that it is what it is, and nothing is going to change that.

Resign is compared with "to become reconciled." Reconcile is associated with "to make acquiescent." Acquiesce is defined as "to consent without enthusiasm." Although all of this may make resignation and acceptance sound all the more familiar, I think it points out a difference, also. To simply consent to something may be an act of acceptance, but it doesn't necessarily have to be an act of resignation. In order for it to be an act of resignation, it would seem to have to contain no enthusiasm. Yes, one can accept something without enthusiasm, which may indeed be resignation. But, obviously, one can also accept something with much enthusiasm, which, by definition, it would seem, would not be resignation.

So, perhaps, there is even a technical difference in the words outside of my individual feeling of how I see each word. I'm resigned to the fact this may seem a jumbled explanation, but I won't fully accept that until I hear from others on DS.
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby Ryan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Daywhite wrote:I'm resigned to the fact this may seem a jumbled explanation, but I won't fully accept that until I hear from others on DS.

=0@

I think you explained nicely and it makes a lot of sense... I was turning it over in my head while reading your post and wondering if resignation has to be a negative act... as in giving up on or giving into something that you would have liked to be different... Of course I realize that the common usage of the word is generally negative and by definition it is negative... but could it be used more positive or would that be something else?

I mean, acceptance is done both of the positive and negative... you accept a compliment and through that the current positive image the person giving the compliment has of you... or you accept the negative outcome of the soccer game... or you accept a person for who they are... both positive and negative... But to give a resignation, is it always negative... does the resignation of a negative possibility make it positive... and is it even logical to give resignation of a negative?
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby dermot » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:15 pm

Maybe Resignation means there's nothing you can do about a situation, even though you want to.

While Acceptance means you have come to terms with the situation and you dont want to do anything more?
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Postby Sabina » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:43 pm

That sounds right to me Dermot.
Simple and true.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Return to Psychology