Recycled Plastic Houses

What should the ideal community or society be like?
Thoughts and ideas on making the utopian idea reality.

Recycled Plastic Houses

Postby Sabina » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Instead of mountains of trash: Recycled Plastic Houses
That sounds like it has potential, doesn't it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A Welsh company called Affresol is doing that. They are converting waste into a moldable liquid compound called TRP3 (Thermo Poly Rock) which can be poured like concrete, yet is even stronger than concrete, they say.

affresol-connection.jpg
affresol-connection.jpg (54.97 KiB) Viewed 11599 times

Furthermore, it is
      • Water proof
      • Fire retardant
      • Very durable (~ 80 years)
      • Not susceptible to insect infestation.
affresolhouse-inventor.jpg
affresolhouse-inventor.jpg (51.4 KiB) Viewed 11599 times

TPR offers excellent thermal insulation, does not rot, and has a "Low Carbon Footprint".
It is made from recycled materials that have been diverted from landfill, and has 100% end of life recyclability.

I couldn't find the English BBC video anymore, so here is the report from BBC Brazil..
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Recycled Plastic Houses

Postby Ryan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:33 pm

Interesting, but I cannot find information about buying the compound, its preparation, or anything of that matter. Do they only do their own modular homes at the moment or what exactly is the case?
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby Sabina » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:15 pm

Well, they have a contact page with their phone number and e-mail address....
No, there isn't a handy order form yet, but I found this:

Speed of Erection
    A TPR™ frame home is quicker to erect than a traditionally built home. The components are built in the factory (under strict quality controls), which greatly reduces the work to be done on site. This helps to keep sites tidier, easier to control and to reduce on site waste...

Simple to Assemble
    Affresol will provide a full on site erection service.

Now just because they provide that service does it mean that this is the only way, so for them to erect it?
I don't know.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby enjoitherhythm » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:54 am

Cool stuff. Though I'm not sure if I could stand being walled in by petroleum...

Here's where my visions of a dream home fly to lately:

http://www.atelierworkshop.com/pab-views.htm

Recycled shipping container houses are COOL. And boy are they affordable. Be sure and push play on the slide show linked to above.
There is a spiritual obligation, there is a task to be done. It is not, however, something as simple as following a set of somebody else's rules.

T. McKenna
enjoitherhythm

Favorite book: .
Favorite movie: .
Things I like: .
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 0

Postby Ryan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:03 pm

Yeah, I have seen some nice houses constructed from containers. You say they are affordable... how affordable? I haven't looked into pricing any.

Is it that the container is cheap but the transport fees will kick you in the butt or what exactly? I ask because it would seem they would be perfect for quickly constructing a house in a modular sort of way and simply welding them together and then taking a cutting torch to make windows and door ways (plumbing, etc.) and then some fiberglass insulation and sheet rock and viola... but it doesn't seem to be taken advantage of considering you say they are inexpensive... so... just wondering... Why? (with an excessive explanation in regards to my wondering)
Ryan

Postby crystaldart » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:38 pm

The very thought of the word recycled plastic associated with home make me uncomfortable. Recycled plastic is said to have the tendency to retain certain toxic elements like Bisphenol A (BPA). It could slowly leech into our atmosphere. Its kind of zombie in the material world. Walking dead. Its already dead in the sense it has virtually zero reaction with the nature. But its so alive in all walks of our life.

That's just the technical reason. Home is more than just a decorated roof over our head. Sciences like Vastu, gives a glimpse into how our life is inter woven in the places we live. Even if we stay in place for a long time (need not be a house - could be just a open space) we create an atmosphere in that vicinity, like a nest woven out according to our characteristic. We exchange around 24,000 living cells per second.

So, its not about economy or environmental conservation that's called in here, its harmony in our life. We should find other ways to use the trash than living in one. That's never a worthy bargain.
crystaldart

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 2

Postby Ryan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:05 pm

I understand your aversion...but technically you already live in a plastic house...almost all paints are a petroleum product, all your sewage pipes are PVC, most of your water pipes are PVC. Most roofs, at the very least, have a layer of tar paper if not tar shingles as well. Most carpeting is petroleum based, or maybe you have linoleum, or laminated parquet flooring... all plastics. Counter tops are formica. I could probably name some other things as well... like vinyl siding... but even if you lived in a solid wood constructed home you still sealed the wood with some sort of polymer... which is still a plastic...

The point of using the plastic for other purposes is to keep from burying it in the ground in hopes to make use rather than make waste. The opening post of this topic is not suggesting to live in a Tupperware container but rather a substitute for concrete... its exterior and interior could be finished with whatever material you choose. And, at the current plastic usage rate among us humans, it won't really matter if your house is "leeching" BPA or what... if it is going to do that and we have buried ton upon ton of it into the ground... how do you think that will affect the ground water, soil, and atmosphere?? Yes, ideally we, as a society, should stop the usage of plastics (at least to the extent at which we do) and find a more harmonious material... but we still have to find something to do with that which we already have rather than burying it.
Ryan

Return to Utopia