Pronoia ...

Not just for linguists and logophiles (word lovers)
The exploring, discovering and discussing of words, language & communication from different perspectives.

Pronoia ...

Postby ubermensch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Ran across this word the other day in a text I was reading online and had to look it up . As defined on wikipedia -Pronoia is a neologism that is defined as the opposite state of mind as paranoia: having the sense that there is a conspiracy that exists to help the person. It is also used to describe a philosophy that the world is set up to secretly benefit people.- I think it might be a good idea to have a healthy dose of this in our lives. Allowing us to see people who may have shallow criticisms of us , and seeing them as trying to help us evolve as a person and test our patience. Seeing everyone as involved in a plot to help us become better people , does sound a bit far fetched. However I can definitely see how it would benefit me , someone who has limited a sense of patience with the outside world . Can anyone give examples in their life on how practicing pronoia might benefit them as well ? Thanks in advance for the answers.
The more I give to consciousness/awareness , the more consciousness gives to me . .... ....
ubermensch

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Hitlers War David Irving
Favorite movie: The Game
Things I like: reading , learning , yoga ,chess and chess problems , lifting weights, becoming a better person physically and mentally , meditation, world religions
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 6

Re: Pronoia ...

Postby mirjana » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:05 am

I didn´t know the word. Interesting pollarities: paranoia and pronoia.
According to definition, it seems that following words, concepts, philosophies belong to pronoia:

All kind of blessings
gratitude
the concept of positive thinking
synchronicity,
oneness,
all kind of protective or supportive relationships
fishing compliments
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: Pronoia ...

Postby Sabina » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:31 am

ubermensch wrote:Ran across this word the other day in a text I was reading online and had to look it up . As defined on wikipedia -Pronoia is a neologism that is defined as the opposite state of mind as paranoia: having the sense that there is a conspiracy that exists to help the person. It is also used to describe a philosophy that the world is set up to secretly benefit people.- I think it might be a good idea to have a healthy dose of this in our lives. Allowing us to see people who may have shallow criticisms of us , and seeing them as trying to help us evolve as a person and test our patience. Seeing everyone as involved in a plot to help us become better people , does sound a bit far fetched.

I love this... great suggestion!

ubermensch wrote:However I can definitely see how it would benefit me , someone who has limited a sense of patience with the outside world . Can anyone give examples in their life on how practicing pronoia might benefit them as well ? Thanks in advance for the answers.

I can definitely imagine this not being easy all the time, but that's the challenge, isn't it?
I often see difficult situations as a test... so I am being tested during this life here, and if I fail then the same test will return in one form or another.
So.. I might as well pass.
That can help me to rise above a situation and look at it from outside myself, from another (or various other) angle(s).
The funny thing is that sometimes that can mean doing something that doesn't seem like the obvious kind thing to do.
For instance, if - in some specific unpleasant situation - I always respond with kindness and patience, and that doesn't bring results, and so the situation keeps repeating, then I am obviously not learning from this experience... so I need to learn to react appropriately to that situation, even if I know that I will be judged by some people who know me.
I am not sure if I am making any sense at all.... but I hope it makes some!
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Return to Words & Language