Progress not Perfection

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: Progress not Perfection

Postby clay » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Ryan wrote:
"If you draw a perfect circle can you not elaborate and make it larger if you think it should be? Does that make it any less perfect because you think making it larger would be better?"

Bravo, Ryan, what a great analogy! I read that yesterday and it kept returning.
May I expand here and attempt to show the difference between inanimate objects and the problem with according humans beings the same traits. I suppose there may be an analogy there also, "but now , we've already been thru that; and it is not our fate".
I have been taxed with the ability to see and do everything to change my defects of character. The ones I look for (unless I am reveling in their glory at the time) are:1. Pride
2. Avarice (Greed)
3. Envy
4. Wrath
5. Lust
6. Gluttony
7. Sloth
Pretty hard to task a circle with lust or sloth(Damn thing just LAYS there!!!LOL)
But not so with my psyche! I will and have gone to great lengths to deny that I am dabbling in one or another of the 7 so that I can enjoy the warm, easy, flow of pleasure that comes before the great,blinding truth ....I goofed again! Then its time to dig ,get the light of day penetrate the denial and try again. Not too sure where this is going, but for some its tough sledding to get past the defects. Clear as mud?
Truth is malleable.....
clay

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 1

Postby Ryan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:29 am

80|
You said it... clear as mud... I'm sorry... I asked Sabina to help me... she could only guess...

Anyway, thank you!
=0)

(I will write some more on my thoughts in hopes that it addresses what you are talking about in some way... if not I am sorry again.)

I elaborated a little more on a post that followed the circles using a rock as the subject of my analogy... but again it is inanimate...

A more critical piece that hasn't been mentioned here, but was mentioned on another topic that references this one, and that is that the "adjustments" (making it larger or smaller) are, in my opinion, a means to be in harmony with our environment. So, being that we are animate objects our adjustments are subject to more extreme levels due to the mass diversity in our surroundings and that we can quickly find ourselves in completely different environments rather suddenly just because of a mood change of another person in our surroundings... and for the most part we can and succeed in doing so... and that's great and perfect too... isn't it?

As for the seven deadly sins... I really don't get it... you are saying how do I account for these in my theory because they are widely acknowledged as defects or faults? Well... in the perfect circle analogy it is more difficult to fit this in because when we imagine the circle it is all smooth and there are no wobbles or bulges in the line... but in the rock analogy I include the idea of imperfection through showing that the cracks, crevices, rough spots, and sharp edges... all of these have purpose and are in themselves perfect... they have positive and negative attributes...
Pride... what's really the matter with it? If you create something beautiful and/or helpful I say have pride in it. It's natural and normal... and that feels good and that good feeling may provoke you to do more beautiful and helpful things... I think where it becomes a problem is when all these "deadly sins" become extreme... but then they aren't in harmony with their surroundings... now the need to carry these things to extremes is for a reason and to find these reasons, address them, and adjust things is what is being called for... and the extremities will proceed until we bring them back into balance and adjust our circles accordingly to be in harmony with our surroundings. If we choose to ignore the need to adjust our circles I believe there will come a point where you won't be able to ignore it any longer or... maybe the circle will just pop...?

Anyway... hope it helps if not please point me in the right direction.
;0)
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby clay » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Ryan- Well, sorry that I wasnt more careful/specific .
I did, years ago, a long list of things which had caused problems between me and others in my life , specifically listing the episodes/situations where I was at fault. In order to qualify these situations I had to use a point of reference, thus the 7 sins. Im not a christian follower, but these few standards of behavior were simple for me to grasp. I used them in my list and daily life, as a point of reference.
I hope this clears it up. You are right, they wouldnt be correct in the nature/circle analogy, would they? Keep me posted on what you think? Thanks, Clay
Truth is malleable.....
clay

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 1

Postby Alvino » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:34 am

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY CLAY:

ME THINKGS you hinted at an absolute truth which you may have
never heard before:
SINNING IS FUN.

a second great and absolute truth about life is :

The purpose of life is to have Fun Lots of FUN.

i AM trying to tell you == YOU HAVE BEEN PERFECT
more perfect then MOST of us.
truth is NOT malleable in this case?
Alvino

State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

Postby GenerousGeorge » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:39 am

Alvino understands that "Life is a buffet.....take BIG BITES" =0o
GenerousGeorge

State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Ryan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:43 am

Yeah, well of course you can't pin pride upon a rock... but the "sins", "evils", whatever are just extremes, and you are right... there will be results from these extremes that will probably show you that you need to adjust something to be more harmonious with your environment.

But you can still witness extremes in nature even though most things in nature (aside from our species) tend to stay harmonious with their surroundings in both respecting and recognizing something's purpose... even in inanimate objects...
weather: hurricanes, drought, tornadoes
earth: earthquakes, volcanoes, glaciers

But even in animals within nature... there is a BBC documentary that show some amazing things...
A war party of Chimpanzees going to attack another group of Chimps for encroaching upon their territory... be sure you watch it to the end... it is possible that you will find it amazing...

It's balance... if there wasn't a check, the trees' fruit would be consumed in no time and there would be an epidemic of starvation... and more than likely there would be wider repercussions to other species of plants and animals.

I love the statement in Star Wars episode 1 where Obi Wan says to the Gungan Boss Nass "You and the Naboo form a symbiont circle. What happens to one of you will affect the other. You must understand this."... of course although he disregarded those words he found out how true they were a bit later.

Here's a method to ensure balance and we fight such things tooth and nail rather than respecting it's purpose, understanding the truth in its existence, and accepting it as having a positive purpose...

After having put this here and thinking about its implications... I feel I need to do some explaining because this can be misunderstood and be a bit hurtful in that case. I know both you and Pat are lung recipients and so I want to clarify that I am not in any way trying to say that disease serves a purpose and we shouldn't try to stop its affects. I know there are tons of natural ways to heal all kinds of diseases. And surgery, in any form, is a wonderful thing as well. I don't want to imply, or be misunderstood, that when anyone is inflicted with a disease we should pick them up like the ants and dump them a safe distance away from the colony. What I am trying to address is living with other plant and animal species that pose serious health threats to us as a species. Our tendency is to eradicate them rather than to appreciate their purpose and to respect their right to exist just as we have a right to exist as well. Again it is all about balance and harmony... and the eradication or extinction of any species does not fit in my idea of harmony or balance.

I hope it isn't misunderstood...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Previous

Return to Spirited Debate