Progress not Perfection

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: Progress not Perfection

Postby Alvino » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 am

GEORGE, I LIKE YOU (A little bit, anyways).
So I am going to make sure you ATTAIN PERFECTION.

FIRST = remember it is AMAZING HOW immediately you can
change an ugly looking women into a very BEAUTIFUL woman.
by MERELY CHANGING THE DEFINITION OF BEAUTIFUL.

So HENCEFORTH, GEORGE whenever you shoot (make)
80 free throws out of every 100 attempts IT WILL BE PERFECTION.
** I HAVE SPOKEN, AMEN. no response requested or wanted
only your ACCEPTANCE of 80/100 as being PERFECT work.

added you are OLD so all wise men would agree that
if you make 75 out of 100 it will be GOODER THEN PERFECT.
Alvino

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:35 am

Alvino.....I will get to 90 out of 100 in 30 days...it is all about concentration. B0)
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby clay » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:51 am

Hope you dont mind an aside
Generous George,progress not perfection is the way, but it sure feels like it should happen sooner or later,no?
Alvino- Can you do that for me too? Just maybe hitting 6 birds out of 25 in my first round of trap shooting in a few decades should be considered relative perfection. At least i got SOMETHING....

More,more,Alvino, be the Pied Piper toward Perfection???? B0)
Truth is malleable.....
clay

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 1

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:19 am

Searching for perfection or put another way constantly trying to improve yourself may be what keeps the world from running down i.e. entropy There are benefits to striving for something, even though we know will never reach the goal of perfection. Progress not perfection does not mean (to me anyway) that we believe that we know what "perfection" is or that it is a finite goal we can reach. Kind of like the search for the "Holy Grail". The benefit is in the search or the journey, although some day I will report here that I made 100 foul shots in a row. Got 96 out of 100 once. =0o
GenerousGeorge

Postby Alvino » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:48 am

CLAY you have NOT aimed and fired for a decade =

how about a 6 year old trap shooting IF HE hit
3 out of 25 wouldn't you shout for joy at his
awesome skills. How difficult would it be for you
to TELL that young shooter that he had done a PERFECT JOB
BY HITTING even one.

using your ABSENCE FROM shooting for so long
it is ABSOLUTELY PERFECTION if you hit 5 out of 25
the first week or so.

another view IF NEEDED is:::: use yesterday s success to measure
today's success YOU HIT 6 one day so if you do it for two more
days = my mind would say THIS MAN is doing perfect shooting
since I, myself, CANNOT HIT 1 out of 25 = YOU ARE PERFECT

whisper PROGRESS is perfection in your LIFE ENJOYMENTS
of shooting at flying stuff or increasing our patience
or decreasing our angry or any other thing we strive to attain...

ANOTHER idea is using definition == yesterday i hit six
so IF I HIT more ( 8) today I will have had a PERFECT
shooting day.

remember DO NOT JERK the trigger and LOCK your elbow
Alvino

Postby Alvino » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:07 am

WHISPER TO my friend GEORGE.

sir, there are SEVEN DIFFERENT TYPES OF INTELLIGENCE
music intelligence is one

logical thinking intelligence is another

spatial intelligence is another -unscramble these letters to make a word == lpsela (forget it)

George M . JORDON AND ALL great atheletes , including
awesome high school football (etc) players have
BODY COORDINATION INTELLIGENCE..
remember WILLIE MAYS catches and THROWS to the plate
how did he DOOD THIS = he had what is the word KINESThatic - intelligence ( spelled wrong

my point is THINK it over IS CONCENTRATION all you use to make 90 out of a 100 free throws

is concentration ALL you use to make even one free throw
NO = your body has to make about 100 different decisions for YOU TO GET THE BALL
into the basket == knee pressure FOOT PLACEMENT = FINGER PLACEMENT
etc 97 more things your body has to do - yes your body has intelligence
just look at your blood IT decides to do about 400 different jobs to keep you HEALTHY.

YOU LOVE to study LEADERSHIP so you know POWER is assigned or assumed
and you know POWER comes from five basic SOURCES
intelligence, knowledge HEALTH etc
so you know it takes POWER TO make those baskets
where do u get this AWESOME POWER to shoot so many successfully
awesome applies because of your age, George. = bottom line
is CONCENTRATION is the LEAST thing that you use to make 90 baskets out of 100.

just my opinion, Geo == so CONTINUE THE MARCH = know u are RITE and I am blind to the truth..
Alvino

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:53 am

The Zen of foul shooting. =0/
GenerousGeorge

Postby Ryan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:07 pm

GenerousGeorge wrote:Ryan, I'm a little confused with where you are going on this perfection thing. What was you point in asking me....."So, you have an idea of perfection and you are going to go through the steps as though you think it is possible to achieve although you doubt it is?"

I don't have an idea of perfection. Are you referring to the AA 12 steps? In that context it means, being content to make steady progress with identifying and correcting your character defects and making progress in learning to function in a more appropriate way in society. =0/

It could also mean you should not get frustrated by "comparing your insides to someones elses outsides seemingly perfect appearance" and despair that you have not corrected a lifetime of bad habits in a couple weeks/months/years whatever.......and decide the hell with it and go back to the comfort of JD. 80S =0o

Somehow I feel like you have a disagreement with me or the statement "progress not perfection". 80| If so please tell me more directly what your concern is. If not, I guess I just missed the point somehow. 80S

My whole point of asking the question is because I have witnessed that nature doesn't create anything that is not perfect. When I look at the surface of a rock and view all the cracks, rough spots, sharp edges, holes that may or may not house a lizard or ants or whatever, etc... it is picture perfect perfection through and through... and even though it is totally unique in every sense... you won't find another rock that is identical and they are all perfect. Plus... no rock ever remains the same throughout its entire existence but regardless of its changes it is never imperfect. I apply this same outlook upon the people in my surroundings... I certainly realize that people do not share my view point and I am just posting the topic to see how others feel about it all. I used your saying because everyone here has read it at least once... it implies imperfection and the need/desire to progress towards perfection.

PS: Thank you for asking...
<3
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:42 am

Ryan wrote:My whole point of asking the question is because I have witnessed that nature doesn't create anything that is not perfect. When I look at the surface of a rock and view all the cracks, rough spots, sharp edges, holes that may or may not house a lizard or ants or whatever, etc... it is picture perfect perfection through and through... and even though it is totally unique in every sense... you won't find another rock that is identical and they are all perfect. Plus... no rock ever remains the same throughout its entire existence but regardless of its changes it is never imperfect. I apply this same outlook upon the people in my surroundings... I certainly realize that people do not share my view point and I am just posting the topic to see how others feel about it all. I used your saying because everyone here has read it at least once... it implies imperfection and the need/desire to progress towards perfection.
PS: Thank you for asking...

I see....thanks Ryan. It's really a different topic then, perhaps? Regardless it caused me to think about it some more. In my opinion what you say about things in nature is that nature does not make things that are imperfect. I guess that is true if your definition of "perfect" is that things are just the way they are "supposed to be" and therefore perfect in that sense.

The more common definition though is " the state of being without a flaw or defect" and that is how I am....... I have lots of flaws and defects and I want to make progress in eliminating some of them so that I am improving and striving towards having "zero defects". It is certainly a "never ending journey" and I don't expect to arrive at perfection.

So "progress, not perfection" for me means that I should not get discouraged because I have not quickly eliminated ALL MY FLAWS AND DEFECTS, and that I should be happy and content with growing socially, spiritually and morally toward a goal of "zero defect". Even though I will never get there, I will make better progress if I do not become discouraged and/or paralyzed by the idea I need to become perfect very quickly. (or ever, for that matter)

I understand your example of ......"a rock.... picture perfect perfection through and through... and even though it is totally unique in every sense... you won't find another rock that is identical and they are all perfect. Plus... no rock ever remains the same throughout its entire existence but regardless of its changes it is never imperfect. I apply this same outlook upon the people in my surroundings."

If that means you are tolerant of what some might regard as imperfections, I understand, but I do not believe the analogy is appropriate for the philosophical concept of..... "progress not perfection"...... which, in my experience, is a good mental outlook for a person striving to improve themselves by removing a progression of flaws and defects of character over time, with the goal of having as few as possible and functioning more like "God" might have conceived us to function in an ideal way..
GenerousGeorge

Postby mirjana » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:33 pm

George,

I understand your answer and there is a part which corresponds very well to my approach to my life journey in regard to this question:
"The more common definition though is " the state of being without a flaw or defect" and that is how I am....... I have lots of flaws and defects and I want to make progress in eliminating some of them so that I am improving and striving towards having "zero defects". It is certainly a "never ending journey" and I don't expect to arrive at perfection.

So "progress, not perfection" for me means that I should not get discouraged because I have not quickly eliminated ALL MY FLAWS AND DEFECTS, and that I should be happy and content with growing socially, spiritually and morally toward a goal of "zero defect". Even though I will never get there, I will make better progress if I do not become discouraged and/or paralyzed by the idea I need to become perfect very quickly. (or ever, for that matter)"
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

PreviousNext

Return to Spirited Debate