Progress not Perfection

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Progress not Perfection

Postby Ryan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:26 pm

... How do you know when it is progression and not regression? What is the goal? I mean there has to be some point to which you are trying to progress towards, right? Or is it more to the point to say movement not stagnation? Just so long as you are not remaining the same... it doesn't matter whether it is progression or regression then?
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Re: Progress not Perfection

Postby GenerousGeorge » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:13 pm

I use "Progress not perfection" to mean I am "a work in progress" ....."Don't be too hard on myself when I am not perfect." "Don't expect instant gratification." "It is the journey that counts", "Don't be afraid to make mistakes," "Choose reasonable goals and don't look at everything in balack & white." =0/

For example, I am shooting 100 free throws at the gymn daily............. last week I averaged 81 out of 100, this week ....... so far I am averaging 85 out of 100.....I doubt I will ever average 100 (perfection) for a week but it's a good goal. Maybe I will hit a plateau, where I just cannot seem to get better, then I could work on my attitude about that and my form etc. so maybe I make the same amount, but with more style and better mental concentration. =0@

I guess in some ways it is similar to "It is the journey that counts".

Hope that helps.
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Ryan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:59 pm

I don't know... let's see...

So, you have an idea of perfection and you are going to go through the steps as though you think it is possible to achieve although you doubt it is?

Do you think there is anyone that can reach perfection? 100 out of a 100 for the week... or whatever?
Ryan

Postby mirjana » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:09 pm

Not Progress nor Perfection, just Music

mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby GenerousGeorge » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:28 am

Ryan.....if someone gets 100 average for a week we will just move the goal post. 80S 100 average for the month for example. =0o

Anyway, what's the point. There really is no such thing as perfection (with the possible exception of the Christian "God") It's a hypothetical term like infinity.

The saying "progress, not perfection" is actually just about improving yourself and being satisfied with that and not worry about being the "biggest", or "loudest" or whatever "est" B0) Just be satisfied with your motives and attempts to constantly better yourself, you never really "get there", but it makes the journey more entertaining and valued. <3
GenerousGeorge

Postby Ryan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:36 am

It depends on your definition of perfection doesn't it? To me each and every tree in the forest is perfection. All the "flaws" one may find upon them just adds to its perfection. Does that mean the tree ceases to grow and shape itself because it has reached perfection?

To me, you are perfect just the way you are... you think you can be better and strive to be so... that just adds to your perfection...

Perfect is a matter of opinion... what I may consider a perfect day... you may not... does that make your idea of perfection any less perfect because I don't agree?

If you draw a perfect circle can you not elaborate and make it larger if you think it should be? Does that make it any less perfect because you think making it larger would be better?

=0/
Ryan

Postby clay » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:12 pm

"Anyway, what's the point. There really is no such thing as perfection (with the possible exception of the Christian "God") It's a hypothetical term like infinity."

Occurs to me that the term "christian god" is in itself imperfect (or any attempt to limit god).The one who just "Is".

What I see as perfection today may have been just progress tomorrow, tho its sometimes hard to detect the progress.Ill prolly never get that 100%.

Infinity as viewed by me is by definition finite, as in "if I dont know the question, how can I be capable of looking for the answer?

Thanks for having a great place to exercise my mind and stretch my synapses a bit.
Truth is malleable.....
clay

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 1

Postby mirjana » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Clay, thanks for joing us =0) Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!
This topic is a very good example how in many different words we can say more or less the same.
GenerousGeorge wrote:I use "Progress not perfection" to mean I am "a work in progress" ....."Don't be too hard on myself when I am not perfect." "Don't expect instant gratification." "It is the journey that counts", "Don't be afraid to make mistakes," "Choose reasonable goals and don't look at everything in balack & white." =0/

or this one...
GenerousGeorge wrote:Just be satisfied with your motives and attempts to constantly better yourself, you never really "get there", but it makes the journey more entertaining and valued. <3

or a question as a food for thought
Ryan wrote:If you draw a perfect circle can you not elaborate and make it larger if you think it should be? Does that make it any less perfect because you think making it larger would be better?
=0/

or this
clay wrote:What I see as perfection today may have been just progress tomorrow, tho its sometimes hard to detect the progress.Ill prolly never get that 100%.

I haven't noticed big differences in opinions, but nice different expressions that give the additional beauty to the understanding of something we somehow already have known. I have enjoyed the company so far... =0)

Mirjana
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Mirjana, nicely observed. [El]
Clay, a big warm welcome to DS! =0)

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:41 am

Ryan, I'm a little confused with where you are going on this perfection thing. What was you point in asking me....."So, you have an idea of perfection and you are going to go through the steps as though you think it is possible to achieve although you doubt it is?"

I don't have an idea of perfection. Are you referring to the AA 12 steps? In that context it means, being content to make steady progress with identifying and correcting your character defects and making progress in learning to function in a more appropriate way in society. =0/

It could also mean you should not get frustrated by "comparing your insides to someones elses outsides seemingly perfect appearance" and despair that you have not corrected a lifetime of bad habits in a couple weeks/months/years whatever.......and decide the hell with it and go back to the comfort of JD. 80S =0o

Somehow I feel like you have a disagreement with me or the statement "progress not perfection". 80| If so please tell me more directly what your concern is. If not, I guess I just missed the point somehow. 80S
GenerousGeorge

Next

Return to Spirited Debate