Privacy

By Sabina

Privacy

Postby Sabina » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:28 pm

It is not ideal from some angles, but it should allow us (all of us, even the shy ones) to roam around the forums more freely.

Starting today the Deep Spirits forums can only be read by members.

The reasons why can be seen here in more length: Why join?
I hope everyone is happy with this modification, but if not, feel free to express yourself.

A while ago Mirjana suggested that we have something like "DS articles". A variation of that could be that we take some posts as forum excerpts and make them viewable outside the forum (so viewable by guests as well), sort of as "samples" of the happenings on the inside. What do you think?

<3
Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Privacy

Postby GenerousGeorge » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:44 pm

OK by me..... I just wanted to agree with something as well....I am tired of disagreeing. 80S <3
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby HGolightly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm happy with this modification, and I like the suggestion, "DS Articles" provided by Mirjana.

<3
HGolightly

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Postby Heidi » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:17 pm

I don't agree. Keeping the forum private is not a good reason for someone to subscribe as a member. Why would someone want to join a forum he doesn't know anything about? But if that someone can read the members' posts, he may want to join, to give his own view or contradict a specific idea or member. And even if he/she doesn't become a member, being or feeling part of DS is important. After all, our conversations on knowledge, spirituality and our opinions on such matters should be free to anyone, member or not. As for us, members, we can always write and share as much as we are comfortable with.

To give you a personal example. I know nothing concerning economic matters, and official articles are too difficult for me to understand. There is an economic site which has a forum with plenty of threads and a lot of different views. By reading these views I get better informed than by reading the official articles on the site. If I weren't allowed to read the forum, I don't think I would visit the site at all. I am not tempted to join as a member because my contribution would be less than minimal, but I always enjoy reading the posts of some specific members.
Heidi

State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 17

Postby Sabina » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Heidi, I can totally relate to that argument. I've been thinking about this back and forth, pros and cons, and ok.. this is a brand-new change/modification. Let's talk about it. That is an invitation to everyone, all the members. What do you see as the pros and cons of each option and which would be your recommendation?

Sabina
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby HGolightly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi all! I'm for the privacy aspect, but can certainly appreciate Heidi's point of view.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am less than likely to have a discussion that the whole wide-web world can see. I get the the gist, but the reality for me, is that people google potential employees to gather information to determine if a person is suitable for employment. Unfortunately, this would limit my ability to exercise my freedom of expression to limited topics that are more secure. And, I am fine with this. I also enjoy perusing sites that are open for the purposes of learning, so I can see your point, which I hadn't really thought of.

=0D
HGolightly

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Postby mirjana » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:32 pm

Sabina,
First to answer your initiative, I agree. I am not shy and I do not have problems with writing in the forum so that everybody can see it, even when it is not always my best. But, this is not a point. People who are interested to take a part in one forum do not read the whole what is written there in order to make their decision. Mostly it is something which is appealing and not necessarily connected with the forum, but with the charm of the whole site. And DS has the charm and enough to offer beside the forum’s charm. Not to forget that we became a forum thanks to this other stuff DS has offered from the beginning as at the beginning there was not a forum. As the matter of fact, most people who are here today are those who made it to be what it is now. It has the vibration that will attract spirits that belong here I do not doubt. Besides, we have had one version; now we can try this new one, and nobody says that it will be the last one. It is up to us all to accommodate further on the way we feel that it is the best for DS.
Holly and Heidi,
Holly, you said very nicely and I agree that Heidi’s opinion has the strength too. Therefore, additionally to that what I have already answered Sabina, I think that what Heidi said only can help us to concentrate all together more so that we can make together our final articles as a productive results of our debates and talks. That way we shall increase the value of the materials that will attract new members further on and additionally we shall make the best of our talks by presenting the essence that according to our opinion can be of help or educational support for others.
Heidi, your explanation is a big motivation for all of us to make the best as a team. Beside, doing like that and making visible that those articles are product of a collective work of DS members will be a new motivation for those who want to contribute to changes by joining us.
George,
I love your answer, not because I appreciate necessarily agreements but because I am convinced that DS members together with all our critical approaches and agreements have abilities that can really make good things, not only for all of us in further mutual exchange but for others who are waiting to join us.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Heidi » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:18 pm

OK, Mirjana. Let's give it a try in its new format and see how it works.
But have in mind that not all of our posts are articles, but they may contain important points...
Heidi

State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 17

Postby mirjana » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:37 am

Heidi, you are right. It only means more responsibility for us about that what we write, how we do it, how we respond to each other and finally how we shall make that what will represent our thoughts at the end. We can elaborate the way how we shall do it and it is already time for us to suggest things that could be helpful for this new approach.
And I do think that in this case the time will show if this is the correct choice or not.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:39 am

Well, I have been going crazy over how to do this... 80|
Right now, at this very moment it is setup so that guests cannot read anything except a special forum for guests only, which is a selection of previous talks on DS... so they can get a feel for things.
If you log out and visit the forum (Exploration link in the menu), you will see the guest forum (read only), otherwise it is not visible, same as the regular active forums are not visible to guests.

Holly, as for your concerns about privacy, how could anyone find you here by running a search on Google? By the first name only, or in your case a username which is neither your first name nor your last name, how do you think they could find you?
Sabina

Next

Return to DS Chronicle