Personality Disorders

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Personality Disorders

Postby Sabina » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:02 pm

The new section about psychology and the human mind in general is now live on Deep Spirits, so I feel very inspired to point out something interesting...

There are 16 personality types, based on Jung's archetypes. What you will also notice is that each has a corresponding personality disorder. What that means, basically, is that the particular disorder (whichever is listed for that type) is compatible with the traits that are typical for that archetype. Like a more extreme (pervasive) version of that personality type.

In that sense it is very nice to have an awareness of these traits, and actually I would say not just to have the awareness of the disorder that corresponds to your personality type, but to have some knowledge of disorders in general.
For example, I have noticed that people sometimes say "passive-aggressive" for things that in reality wouldn't qualify as that, and so on. So, now we have a nice reference, right here on the site.

__1__

In closing, a little bit of personality disorder trivia...

In 2005, psychologists Belinda Board and Katarina Fritzon at the University of Surrey, UK, interviewed and gave personality tests to high-level British executives and compared their profiles with those of criminal psychiatric patients at Broadmoor Hospital in the UK.
They found that 3 out of 11 personality disorders were actually more common in executives than in the disturbed criminals, they were:

I thought this was a "sweet" piece of information.... B0)
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Personality Disorders

Postby Ryan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:08 am

Totally!
B0)
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Sabina wrote:I thought this was a "sweet" piece of information.... B0)

I agree =0/
The whole new section about Personality Disorder is very well done and gives a lot of interesting information. I have already done my extrovert/introvert test and was quite surprised. I have always thought that I am more extrovert, but this test has shown that I am introvert. Interesting realization.
I have been studying personality types and I think that I found which one is the most me. So, now I shall concentrate more on disorder part. ;0
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:50 pm

Ok, well, here is another piece of interesting information.

First, it should be understood that since the MBTI is a common test in the United States, there are statistics that show which percentage of the US population is which personality type. Not global statistics, but US only.
Regardless... I noticed something I thought was interesting.
The most common type, for both, males and females, is the ISTJ, which is the Inspector personality.
It is a bit more common among men than among women (Source: capt.org):
    Females: 7-10%
    Males: 14-19%
The personality disorder that corresponds to the Inspector type is Depressive.
Being depressive is so common that it is sometimes not even considered a disorder, at least not as grave as some others, and when you look at the numbers, it makes sense how some can come to that conclusion.
The most common personality type brings forth a very common personality disorder...
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Return to Psychology