Page 1 of 1

Percentages

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:06 am
by Leahann
I've noticed over the years that certain percentages have come up a number of times, such as 5%, 4%, 2% etc.

For example, it is 2% of the population in the USA that have most of the money.

It takes 5% of the world population to hold a belief to influence the other 95% or to make a change.

Also I noticed personally that when I have taken IQ tests, or EQ tests and personality profiles etc I'm always either part of 4% or 2% of the population.

There seems to be a small amount of the population that fall into certain categories, and they seem to be coming up more and more as I read and learn.

These percentages seem to be very real within the spiritual community, and I'd bet that the amount of people that actually think in this way are within that small percentage...if that makes sense.

I know there must be some form of scientific or mathematical reasoning around this, but I'm not a numbers person in that way...I see mathematics in an abstract manner and while I see the association between numbers and math equations within everything, I can't actually do the math.

Seeing as there are some more mathematically minded people here that maybe you see this too...or may have a theory or explanation for these things.

=0) Leahann

Re: Percentages

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:13 am
by Ryan
You know... it has always been my opinion that for any statistics provided one can always find another set of statistics to support another viewpoint/approach and then I found the following elaboration...

[quote]From a strictly mathematical viewpoint it goes like this:
What Makes 100%? What does it mean to give MORE than 100%? Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%? We have all been to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%. How about achieving 103%? What makes up 100% in life?

Here’s a little mathematical formula that might help you answer these questions:

If:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z is represented as:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then:

H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K
8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

and

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E
11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But,

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E
1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

And,

B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T
2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%

AND, look how far a$$ ⊗ kissing will take you.

A-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G
1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty that While Hard work and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you there, it’s the BullshiT and a$$ ⊗ kissing that will put you over the top

=0/

Re: Percentages

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:37 am
by mirjana
Ryan, I like this little funny kind of numerology game.
Yes, statistics can be a tricky thing, but still it can point some things too.
There is one proverb that says:
"You have two cars,
I don't have any
It means that statistically I have one too." or something like that.

Leahann, when we put little jokes aside, then I agree with the following paragraph from your text:
"These percentages seem to be very real within the spiritual community, and I'd bet that the amount of people that actually think in this way are within that small percentage...if that makes sense."

I think that what is not easy to measure are people in between. In this huge number of people, I do hope that many are not far away to become very aware and spiritual in the sense you have talked. That is why I always underline the responsibility of those who feel belonging to so called true open minded, spiritually oriented and aware people. Awareness of belonging to the certain percentage is connected with everything else that such belonging means, including the responsibility to help other people to become aware the same way.
It is again the example of the stone, water and wave. If you don't throw the stone in the silent water, the waves it makes organically are not to be seen easily. But with the stone, the chain of waves (changes) starts so that even the furthest is still under the change. It is better to be the stone or one of waves, even the last one than the Dead Sea.

Mirjana

Re: Percentages

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:22 am
by Leahann
Ryan...lolol...I have not seen that one for a couple of years...but it makes me laugh =0@