People and Guns

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: People and Guns

Postby Alvino » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:14 am

George, I strongly and very much WANT TO SAY TO YOU:

GEORGE , PLEASE LOVE GUNS.

but I will NOT say that to you.

second BUT , BUT i WILL SAY to you,
GEORGE ARE WE (you) AFRAID OF GUNS.
Alvino

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

Postby Sabina » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:15 am

GenerousGeorge wrote:I have shot the last gun I will ever shoot. I really am not against guns for sporting purposes, or even defense I guess, but I had all I want from both ends.

George, that's understandable. 80|
But I thought we were rather talking about guns in general, thoughts on the existence or the necessity of guns in general rather than just our standpoint toward guns and personal usage.

Alvino, you asked George if he is afraid of guns or if we are afraid of guns... Why that question? What are your thoughts on guns and their existence, purpose and usage?

I am sure we can all think of examples of how guns can be useful in today's world.. that's easy... this world is quite messy and the purpose of guns is either to kill or to control.... isn't it? Does that imply that their existence is right though? Is there no other way but forced control in your opinion? Is control needed at all?

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby GenerousGeorge » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:53 pm

It's a tough question. One of the challenges I see is that it is often very frightened people who buy guns who see the word as one big threat and some can even be paranoid about it. These kinds of people can be much more dangerous with access to guns.

Then you have the criminal element and gangs who can be a much bigger threat to "civilized" society with guns and even "automatic" weapons.

On the other side of the coin are sportsmen who should be able to own guns for their sport without a huge hassle.

Like many issues there is not a clear cut or easy answer and I don't have any recommendations either way.

Having said that, I have seen the horror of people with guns killing each other, and I have participated in that. As a result, I don't even like to see a gun these days because they remind me of what evil uses they can be used for. I think for most the idea of gun control is more of an academic issue. However, for me and others like me it is a symbol of mans inhumanity to man that cannot be erased from my memory and spirit.

One last thing, in general, I don't believe having a gun in your home makes you safer. In confrontation between the average person and a criminal the willingness to use a gun is different and just escalates the chances of the "inexperienced" party coming out on the short end of the stick in hostile encounters.
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Ryan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:24 pm

I respect and understand everything you have said, but just out of curiosity with possible further comments, what exactly is included when you say "sportsmen"? Who and what all sports do you put under that label?
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby GenerousGeorge » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:29 pm

You know.....like bank robbing, kidnapping, terrorism etc. =0o 80S

Just kidding......I'm not sure, as I am not a big hunting fan. If you put me on a lie detector, I would probably say don't let them have guns either, but I do understand that.

I used to do some bird hunting (Pheasant) when I was younger. Once one of the guys shot a rabbit and it was in pain and I just did not see the sport or fun in that.

I have even toyed with the idea of just eating fish, fowl or veggies and not meat.

So I compromise and just get hamburgers from McDonalds.... they only kill one cow for every 3 billion burgers, the rest is cardboard. (I think?) 80S B0) 80S

Seriously, I just don't like the idea of killing for sport, but I understand it.
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Sabina » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:50 pm

GenerousGeorge wrote:I have even toyed with the idea of just eating fish, fowl or veggies and not meat.

So I compromise and just get hamburgers from McDonalds.... they only kill one cow for every 3 billion burgers, the rest is cardboard. (I think?) 80S B0) 80S

=0@ =0@ [El]

=0X
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby Ryan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:23 pm

I hear ya, George... I have done more than my fair share of hunting (birds, squirrel, and deer). And as I explained... I don't see the sport in it either... I never had a problem with it, I never empathized with the animal... I am not a very empathetic person.

So, my standpoint is generally against guns completely, however, once we become a healthier species I could understand the use of guns to hunt for survival... not fun... it just seems a bit twisted to me.

"Hey! Let's say you and me go on down to the bottoms and kill something for the fun of it?!"

Isn't there something wrong with that?
80|
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby Sabina » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:16 pm

Holly shared a video with us in another topic, and a part of this video shows an exaggerated magnified outcome of "guns". Ryan wrote:
"I think that guns just allow us to distance ourselves from what is actually being done, leave a higher chance that we are not hurt in our attempt to kill another, and makes it easier to kill for more reasons than what is absolutely necessary."

Well, that has been perfected, and exactly in the described sense.... Shoot someone on another continent then go home for dinner.
And we talk about guns being bad. 80|
A new generation of soldiers is coming/is already here, and shooting in video games is "morphing" into becoming a soldier and shooting in a video-game-like environment.

The video is 90 minutes long (minus a few). I think we can all benefit from watching it. I have posted it as a separate topic: Digital Nation
Sabina

Previous

Return to Spirited Debate