One week in

By Agate

One week in

Postby Agate » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:12 pm

One week into this journey, and I hit my first major meat craving. Fortunately I long since learned to handle stuff like that; instead of focusing on what I cannot have, I go through the list of what i can have until something sounds good. In this case, a double-handful of sunflower seeds. Whatever it is my body was asking for must have been in those seeds 'cause I heard myself making happy sounds as I munched through them! More to the point, the craving felt satisfied.

In other news, I did make one hysterically funny mistake. Apparently at some point I left a bottle of my favorite salad dressing out a bit too long before returning it to the refrigerator. It's pretty strong stuff, so I didn't notice a significant difference in taste when I used it the other day...until I noticed that I was giggling and oddly lightheaded. Apparently, the dressing had fermented. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I got drunk on SALAD DRESSING.

That takes talent.
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Re: One week in

Postby Sabina » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:16 pm

I asked a friend of mine who is a chef, what he would recommend to someone who has a meat craving and doesn't want to eat meat, and he recommends the following recipe:

Black Bean Burgers
black-bean-burgers.jpg
black-bean-burgers.jpg (64.26 KiB) Viewed 5800 times

Ingredients
          2 Cups Black beans, cooked, rinsed and drained
          1 Cup Brown rice, cooked
          ½ Cup Oatmeal, dry
          2 Lg Eggs, lightly beaten
          ½ Tsp Garlic salt
          ½ Tsp Fresh cracked black pepper
          ½ Tbsp Olive oil
          4 Each Whole wheat hamburger buns
          4 Leaves Lettuce leaves, washed and dried
          1 Cup Salsa
          ½ Cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

Procedure Steps

1. Place black beans in a medium bowl and slightly mash some of them with a fork or potato masher, leaving about half of them whole.
2. Stir in the rice, oatmeal, eggs, garlic salt, and fresh black pepper. Mix well to incorporate. Then divide the mixture into 4 even portions, shaping into 1-inch thick patties.
3. Heat olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat and brown the patties for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and heated through.
4. Place each patty on the bottom portion of each bun, then top each with ¼ cup of the salsa, 2 tablespoons of the Gorgonzola cheese, and add lettuce and tomato to the top half of the bun.

__1__

You can see the complete instructions, incl. many pictures, on the following page:
Cajun Chef Ryan's Black Bean Burgers

__14__

I hope this helps with the craving!
I haven't tried the recipe myself, but it is now on my list as well.

As for the salad dressing incident, I hope it was a fun experience. :)

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: One week in

Postby Agate » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks, Sabina! Those look great and will be taste-tested in the very near future. Please hank your chef friend for me as well.

And yes, the salad dressing incident was entertaining. Of all the bizarre ways to become intoxicated!
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Return to Full of Beans