One Thing Only

What should the ideal community or society be like?
Thoughts and ideas on making the utopian idea reality.

One Thing Only

Postby Sabina » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:44 pm

If you could change one thing,
and one thing only,
about the world...

What would you change?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: One Thing Only

Postby Ryan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:11 pm

The way we get electricity...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:34 pm

Ryan wrote:The way we get electricity...

..which means?

80|
Mirjana
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Ryan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:00 pm

I would like that the way we get electricity is clean and sustainable... free would be even nicer... but I am not going to push it... let's start with the first part.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby Metatron » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Ryan wrote:The way we get electricity...

Bahaha, priceless :P
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Postby dermot » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:53 pm

Change one thing only.....

That would be ignorance please.

I have a low threshold for ignorance of any type, although they are all related and seated in the human.
Even typing this i am remembering various instances of human behavior that REALLY GET ME...GRRR.

What a world it would be ..imagine!!!!!!
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby mirjana » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:44 pm

I like your answer, Dermot. My would be a knowledge, but after that what you said, it seems that living in the world without ignorance would mean that we leave in the world of knowledge and understanding. That would be a huge difference in comparison how things are at the time.
Mirjana

Imagine John Lennon

Imagine there’s no Heaven
It’s easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today
Imagine there’s no countries
It isn’t hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
You may say that I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one
I hope someday you’ll join us
And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world
You may say that I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one
I hope someday you’ll join us
And the world will live as one
mirjana

Postby Daywhite » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Great topic and interesting answers all, everything from the concrete, Ryan's answer of the way we get electricity, to Dermot's more abstract and cerebral reply of ignorance. Mirjana's contribution of what I consider one of the greatest songs of all-time, John Lennon's Imagine, I think fits the topic perfectly because we are simply asked to imagine what change we would most like. Lennon's own suggestions of things to imagine and how nice the world may be....so nice.

My first thought on reading the topic and thinking of an answer was an old Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. Those unfamiliar with the strip can find info here: http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/

Calvin is a young boy with an incredible imagination and not easily satisfied mind. His best friend is his stuffed Tiger, Hobbes. The conversations between the two of them are some of the best thought provoking writing I've seen in a while.

My favorite C & H strip was released on a Sunday; I don't remember the exact date. In this one, Calvin and Hobbes are talking and Calvin is telling Hobbes all of the things he would have if he could have anything in the world. Calvin describes jewels and riches and many other things that seem attractive to most. Calvin describes these things in detail, in awe at the possibilities.

Finally, Calvin asks Hobbes, "What would you want if you could have anything in the world?" Hobbes ponders, hand to chin, before finally answering, "A sandwich."

Calvin is flabbergasted. "You can have anything in the world and all you ask for is a sandwich?!! You have no imagination." In the last frame of the comic, Hobbes is shown holding a sandwich, and replies, "I got what I wanted."

I understand many will say we should strive and wish for things not so easily attained, in a sense as Robert Browning said, "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?" Thoreau said, "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." I see and appreciate those who wish for incredible things, peace on earth, a brotherhood of man. I believe them very possible.

But, as for what I would wish for if I could change one thing and one thing only about the world, I would wish for more understanding and acceptance among people. Maybe that's a castle built in the air. As for my reach exceeding my grasp, I simply grasp for myself, what I can change. I may reach and hope for this among all people, but I grasp what I can and do my best with that. As Gandhi said, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby mirjana » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Daywhite wrote:...
But, as for what I would wish for if I could change one thing and one thing only about the world, I would wish for more understanding and acceptance among people. Maybe that's a castle built in the air. As for my reach exceeding my grasp, I simply grasp for myself, what I can change. I may reach and hope for this among all people, but I grasp what I can and do my best with that. As Gandhi said, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

Daywhite,
Understanding and acceptance are crucial so that everything else can be involved as well. With that knowledge would be spread easier, ignorance would be easier to conquer and therefore new ways not only for electricity, but for many other things as well would be easier to get or develop.
What I like the most is how you made this quote of Gandhi be a part of this topic. If our personal choice of one word is strengthened with our applying and spreading it by personal example, then we are contributing to the world to become a better place.
mirjana

Return to Utopia