No Place Like Home...

A collection of interesting tales or information regarding nature itself and/or people in nature.
by Ryan

No Place Like Home...

Postby Ryan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:27 pm

When you know what you are doing, and how to work with what you have, things come together rather nicely.

You can find his DVDs and more at:
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Re: No Place Like Home...

Postby mirjana » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:07 pm

Ryan,

This is fascinating, everything, their idea, tools, skills how they do it. Good to know things like that.
I think it is great that you made this choice for being part of DS Breeze. =0)
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Ryan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:46 pm

=0)
Glad you like it.
Ryan

Postby mirjana » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:57 pm

I am always fascinated when people understand nature and its gifts and live in balance with nature and this is a beautiful example. Natural knowledge that has come from the experience and practical sense gave very efficient result...
Good choice Ryan.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Ryan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:32 am

Here are some more shelter constructions...

Woodland Shelters
__9__

This first is rather complex but fairly nice and he gives a nice bit of information in regards to fallen, decaying beech leaves which are used to insulate and roof the shelter...
After Ray's part is a woman talking about "Island Bagging"... a new one for me... somewhat interesting but not really having to do with this topic... watch it or don't... your call.

This next clip is a more simple shelter but effective, practical and comfy... also there is an additional bit of helpful advice on starting a fire in damp climates.

This next clip's shelter is pretty interesting but not really one for a spur of the moment kind of situation. Ray explains that other materials can be used to close in the shelter other than birch bark. After the shelter Ray tells how to cook a simple bread... and bacon, and then takes a spin in a birch bark canoe. This clip is from a series in which Ray refers to actual historical survival situations mostly dealing with people living during different wars so some of the content is a bit off topic. So, after the canoe ride Ray talks a bit about Roger's Rangers during the American Revolutionary War.

The following shelter is a simple... and really really small shelter. It is mainly for just getting out of the elements.
WARNING: After the shelter and small piece about fire in general and signal fires they discuss trapping and preparing animals in the wild and if you don't want to see such things you should stop watching. There is a nice little bit about a type of moss and another plant after the animals part... but it would be a bit problematic to navigate to if you don't want to see the other stuff.

Sub-Zero Shelters
__9__

The following shelters are for those temperatures where you would rather be indoors... but maybe you can't be...

You've known of them to be the homes of Eskimos... now you can build your own igloo. There is also a portion showing what they do to heat the igloo and have light. Of course, this type is more for the prepared stay in the winter wonderland.

While this next shelter is also more for the prepared stay it could also be used in a more unprepared situation as well.

This next shelter is also one you should be a bit prepared in order to make... but then again if you know you are going to be in or around such conditions it would kind of be stupid not to be slightly prepared.

These last couple are specifically for dire shelter needs... they are not build with comfort in mind only survival. This clip has the same woman that was talking about "Island Bagging" above... except this time she is riding a sail cart on a beach... fun looking but off topic... watch at your own risk.

Well, that concludes the shelters post for now... Of course once you have a basic understanding of the things to pay attention to and take into consideration when building a shelter the above described techniques can be used in a multitude of ways to build all kinds of shelters.
Ryan

Return to Knowing Nature