Neighbors

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Re: Neighbors

Postby dermot » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:07 pm

Sabina wrote:Yes Dermot, I have observed the same phenomenon numerous times, but surprising even these people is sometimes more welcome than you would think.
Let's give them something to talk about... ;0)

Yeah, and it can be soo much fun too!

A warm hello, followed by a big smile, nearly trips them up! Actually mostly i find people warm up pretty quickly if you challenge the silence......it can be quite rewarding.

Theres a kind of unknowing going on, a slumber of sorts. When i feel that within myself it drives me daft, makes me want to push the boat out a little further....then the guys with the white coats arrive, again.
=0X
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Postby mirjana » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:47 am

Nice thoughts.
Each of us is also somebody’s neighbour or "people" for others. And each one of us knows the value of a smile, dedicated word, directed question, any kind of real attention that comes from another. When we recognize it, our heart smiles too.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Daywhite » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Dermot,

I agree; it's great fun to see someone go from a blank stare, like a robot, to a shared smile and, maybe even better, a shared moment between ones who were unnoticed by each other only a moment before.

Dermot said: A warm hello, followed by a big smile, nearly trips them up! Actually mostly i find people warm up pretty quickly if you challenge the silence......it can be quite rewarding.

I love how you say, "...challenge the silence." Great phrasing. And I think you describe it perfectly. I've done this many times, but the instance that first popped into my head was once in Greece I was out early one morning and noticed an older woman on a balcony above me, shaking her rugs. As I glanced up, we made eye contact, but her expression was mostly blank. I smiled and said, "Kalimera!" A simple good morning. At this, she immediately responded with her own enthusiastic, "Kalimera," a big smile and a wave. I saw her in passing a couple of different times after, and each time she would smile and either nod in greeting or offer a hello, depending how far apart we were. It was such a nice exchange, and a perfect example of the way shared positive energy can defeat indifference or even negativity.

As for the men in the white coats you mention, personally I always liked the nice jacket they offer me, long sleeves, shiny silver buckles...makes me feel special. Perhaps that's a story for another time, though.
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby searching » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:45 pm

I think a good neighbour is one who would be there for you if in need but is not intrusive in any way. That would go for me too - I would want to help, but I think there are boundaries that one does not disrespect. Sure, some neighbours become close friends but in all of the houses I have lived in I can say there were no fast friends - oh, maybe a glass of wine on the deck - something like that. Or an invite in at Christmastime for a social event. But if you have a bad neighbour which my husband and I had the sorry misfortune to have a few years back - then there is nothing like it. And I don't mean -yes, because we are individual there will always been little issues. These issues were huge -so huge that eventually everyone on the street was either calling the cops, or by-law - or not walking their dogs because of fear of attack from their vicious dogs. Add raucous music, many vehicles parked all over the place and the attitude "if you don't like my music - put a for sale sign on your house and get the hell out". LOL. But really not funny. We did eventually sell - but not until a few years after this family moved out and the guy was in jail!!

On the other hand the neighbours I have now in my new community have been outstanding -not intrusive -but outstanding in their support of both my husband while he was ill -and in their support to me since he passed. I would not have been able to stay in this community if it were not for the neighbours -simply because of the sadness of losing my husband almost immediately after moving here. The neighbours have made the difference for me!!

So there are two stories on neighbours - good and bad!
searching

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 1

Previous

Return to Psychology