Natural Shelters

What should the ideal community or society be like?
Thoughts and ideas on making the utopian idea reality.

Natural Shelters

Postby Sabina » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:17 pm

When you hear the phrase "natural shelter" you might associate it with a lean-to or another form of improvised housing, however it doesn't have to be that improvised, and can still be a very natural "shelter".
Here are a few examples showcasing how ancient techniques can be used to create an impressive, not to mention cute, home.

1. Cob cottage on Mayne Island (exterior and interior):
cobcottage-mayne-island.jpg
cobcottage-mayne-island.jpg (76.2 KiB) Viewed 3757 times

cobcottage-mayne-island2.jpg
cobcottage-mayne-island2.jpg (51.89 KiB) Viewed 3757 times

cobcottage-mayne-island3.jpg
cobcottage-mayne-island3.jpg (52.47 KiB) Viewed 3757 times

2. Hollyhock house on Cortes Island, British Columbia, Canada:
hollyhock-house.jpg
hollyhock-house.jpg (100.68 KiB) Viewed 3757 times

3. Sun Ray yoga studio exterior:
sun-ray-cob.jpg
sun-ray-cob.jpg (69.79 KiB) Viewed 3757 times

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Natural Shelters

Postby mirjana » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:07 pm

I could enjoy photos of these kind of architecture for hours. I can imagine what a pleasure must be to live in such a house. It is personalized much more than other houses and so much harmonized with nature. I do hope and looking forward to more things of this kind. Thank you Sabina. You are tireless.

=0)
Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Ryan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:46 pm

Here's a couple more I found...

Tree House
tree house.jpg
tree house.jpg (106.13 KiB) Viewed 2769 times

Hobbit House
hobbit house.jpg
hobbit house.jpg (151.06 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby luzianne » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Thank you for posting these photos. I love the homes pictured in them! =0@
luzianne

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 0

Postby mirjana » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi luzianne,

Welcome =0)
Yes, these photos give an impression like living in a fairy tale, which would not be bad =0/

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby Sabina » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:40 pm

mirjana wrote:...these photos give an impression like living in a fairy tale...

Mirjana,

My first thought was that it would be wonderful. Then again, not all fairy tales are happy tales.

Sometimes people see a magnificent home and think that life for those who live in such a place must be perfect and "magical". I am not referring to homes like the ones in the above pictures, but rather what some would call "an impressive home", a mansion.
Of course that is not necessarily the case.

I can imagine that the energy that goes into the building of a home (of any home) is quite important as well. The fine particles.
If the people building it are happy and content, they will leave a part of this energy in the walls and the structure of that home.
My impression of these these eco-homes is that they are filled with joy and pride. Made by revolutionary people willing to do things differently.
That could be a prejudice (even if it's a positive prejudice), but that is my impression. Hence, I agree with your assessment, except that I would say "..like living in a beautiful fairytale".
:)

Luzianne,

Welcome to Deep Spirits!

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi Sabina, =0)
Words...words, and you are right in insisting on the clarity of expressions. What I wanted to say with my fairy tale association has the same connotation as your text. These houses presented in this topic send impression of being surrounded with a good energy, which is a primary thing for living in any place, I do agree.
When my husband and me moved to Croatia, ten years ago buying a new house, it was a beautiful house and garden, also having a lot of fairy tale flair, but the same time I felt a certain sadness in it.
Later I discovered the reason, as the couple who used to live there was not a happy one. So the first thing I did was to clean the house energetically. I used nice number of rituals for such purpose in both directions, cleaning the house from something which was not a good energy and after that filling it up with a good energy.
After that, many people who used to visit that house in the past, not knowing what I did told me that there is something in the air and the feeling they have that gives an impression that the house itself has got a new life with our moving in. It was a nice thought.
Since then, I always give more of my love, care and energy to it when I am there and somehow it turns that love back.
I do think that everything is energy and the way we radiate the same kind of rays come back to us.
It has been recently that my friend there told me that there is a healing vibration within the walls of our house and that she who had come in not a quite good psycho energetic condition, after spending time with us in it, turn back her home in completely different energetic state.
It was a nice feeling for me that has confirmed my true belief that we feel the energy in everything and everyone and we should relay on that feeling.

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby Heidi » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:29 am

Hi Mirjana,

I liked your story about changing the energy of your house in Croatia.

Would it be easy for you to give us some simple instructions on how to change the energy in our homes, too?

Heidi
Heidi

State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 17

Postby Heidi » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:43 am

There are some wonderful little homes, all made from natural materials in the eco village in Findhorn Scotland.
In the picture, you can see a whiskey barrel that has been turned into a nice "fairy" home.
Attachments
whiskey barrel home.jpg
whiskey barrel home.jpg (3.14 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
Heidi

State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 17

Postby mirjana » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:06 am

Hi Heidi,

Of course it is not a problem. There are few simple rituals for such purposes.

Protective Herbal Bush
In order to protect your home of any bad influences it is recommended to have an herb bush in front of your house with 12 herbs.
To those 12 belong St. John’s wort, Thyme, Sage, Valerian, Peppermint, Camile, Melisse, Basil, Lavender... follow your intuition by choosing your herbs and by forming your herbal bush.
In order to grow your own herbal bush, chose a protected place in front of your house, where you are going to sow the seed of your herbs.
As you are sowing each seed, chant over them:
With my hands I do consecrate
All my love and my positive thoughts
To the seed of this herb.
May give to it healing and protective power
In order to help everybody to whom it comes.
The best time to sow your herbs is one of the air days in the waxing phase of the moon (Gemini, Libra or Aquarius)

A spring of St. John’s wort under your pillow or under your bed or hanged on the window is a protective bless for the next year.

__6__

Rosemary Wash
With Rosemary wash we can protect our home of bad influences.
Put some rosemary branches into fresh water and store it for three days in a dark place.
Each evening chant your protective wish shaking the wash .
Let this wash protect my home of any bad influence.
During this chanting project in your mind´s eye light that spreads around your home and keep this image during the whole ritual.

Sprinkle everywhere around your home,your home made basil tea.

__6__

Sage cleansing
Sage leaves are going to help you to purify your home.
If you do not have sage planted by you, which will be the best, take peaces of dried leaves and with the help of your mortar and pestle grind them into powder. During grinding process put all energy of your positive thoughts into this work and your belief that the good and protective of this herb will purify your house.
Open all windows and do it when you are alone, no people or pats in the house.
Take any heat resistant dish or bowl (the size of a cup), light a sprig of dried sage and put it into your dish or bowl where is sage powder. Carry this from room to room.
The best time to do this purification is during full moon.

These are some of protective rituals. I hope you can use at least one of them.

Mirjana
mirjana

Next

Return to Utopia