Mysticism in Music

Experiences, questions and discussions on various aspects of mysticism, psychic abilities and psionics.

Mysticism in Music

Postby Sabina » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:56 am

The video explains it very nicely. Music, Fibonacci numbers, lyrics...

Lateralus, by Tool

Black then white are all i see in my infancy.
Red & yellow then came to be, reaching out to me,
Lets me see.
As below, so above & beyond, i imagine.
Drawn beyond the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities & i must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Black then white are all i see in my infancy.
Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me,
Lets me see there is so much more &
Beckons me to look through to these infinite possibilities.
As below, so above and beyond, i imagine.
Drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind.
Feed my will to feel this moment, urging me to cross the line.
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

I embrace my desire to,
I embrace my desire to,
Feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside & weep like a widow
To feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty,
To bathe in the fountain,
To swing on the spiral,
To swing on the spiral,
To swing on the spiral of our divinity & still be a human.

With my feet upon the ground i move myself between the sounds & open wide to suck it in.
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up & reaching out.
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
What ever will bewilder me.
& following our will & wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end & may just go where no one's been.
Spiral out. keep going.
Spiral out. keep going.
Spiral out. keep going.
Spiral out. keep going.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Mysticism in Music

Postby mirjana » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:09 pm

Music as a quest for the unknown

Australian Aboriginal Music:Song with Didgeridoo

Music has been used by humanity as a tool to enter altered states of awareness. The central nervous system (CNS) has two different functions: the sympathetic nervous system (SNS) and the parasympathetic nervous system (PNS), which are not separate neural pathways, but two complementary functions.
SNS

The SNS is activated by adrenaline and is needed in extreme situations to ensure our survival. It helps us react faster when we need to fight or flee. When it is active our heartbeat and breathing accelerate, and our visual and auditory perceptions become sharper. Our muscles tighten.
If we are stressed all day long - if our SNC is active for longer than it should be - this depletes our energy. We run out of adrenaline, and when we need it, it's not there.
As adrenaline and other substances related to the SNC accumulate in our muscles, we enter a state of perpetual stress. Our muscles are chronically contracted - and this takes a LOT of energy!
PNS

The PNS is activated by noradrenalin and is needed to help us rest and recover. When it is active, all our muscles relax, and our breath becomes deeper and slower. Our heartbeat decelerates.
The PNS should be primarily active during sleep. Our capacity to remain alert in our dreams depends largely on how deeply we can relax. But if our muscles are permanently stressed out, there is no way we can achieve profound relaxation, and there is no way for our dreaming attention to flourish.
Playing, singing, dancing, or simply listening to music is a very direct way to shift into the PNS. In this sense, it can be described as a direct pathway into the world of dreams and enhanced self perception - even during wakefulness.

It is not coincidence that so many cultures have made music and sound the central way of their search for the indescribable. In many traditions it is sound described as the border that divides the physical world and an underlying world of energy. Chants and dances are the ways to glimpse other realities. Aboriginals of Australia, Shamans of the Russian steppes, Sufis, Hopis, they all have been searching for the unknown through our innate connection to the sound.
They all have different styles, instruments and interpretations, but the basic quest remains constant. This urge to find deeper connection with the universe has always been the primary call of music.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: Mysticism in Music

Postby mirjana » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:59 pm

I am sorry that the time back I was not aware of the whole beauty of the first video in this topic as it is brilliant in many aspects. It is great topic and great first post for this title.
In my DS Breeze post, I gave a corresponding attention to this topic and video as Destiny Jump has pulled my attention to it today.

In Lateralus they combined the archetype stories of North American aboriginals and the themes or colors, black, white, red, and yellow, which are also connected to alchemy. The Great Work" in alchemy begins with the Nigredo (black), then moves to the Albedo (white), then the Citrinitas (yellow), then the Rubedo (Red).
In the opening lyrics in 'Lateralus', we can see evidence of the Fibonacci sequence ascending and descending:
1 (Black)
1 (then)
2 (white are)
3 (all I see)
5 (in my in-fan-cy.)
8 (red and yel-low then came to be),
5 (reach-ing out to me.)
3 (lets me see.)
It is interesting to know that the drummer of Tool, Danny Carey is very much interested in numerology and geometry. He has chosen his drum patterns carefully reflecting some of the patterns he finds in the Fibonacci sequence and elsewhere.

Thanks to today's spiral journey with Lateralus I became aware of Dr. Christopher di Carlo, who had interviewed the vocalist of Tool, Maynard James Keenan, presenting us great talk in which, by the way how he created his questions, he was able to get very interesting answers about this mystical band and their work.
As about Christopher di Carlo, he was Canada's humanist of the year 2008 and Ontario's best lecturer in 2008.

In that interview, the 10th Dr. di Carlo's question was:

10. In "Reflection" you talk a good deal about losing or getting rid of the ego in order to attain some further end. An end of enlightenment perhaps? What is it about the ego that prevents or in some way, blocks one from attaining some greater end? Or does it even make sense to speak in terms of lesser and greater ends?
MK: "If you look at the cycles of the moon, it starts as a thin crescent and then gradually waxes until it becomes full; then it gradually wanes back into another crescent and then it is gone. The moon reflects sunlight like humans reflect information. We wax and wane and when we become full moons, our egos are full. We think we have this knowledge when in fact, the information we have is pure. And how it reflects or shines off of us, is something we take credit for as though the moon could take credit for its brightness when, in fact, it is only reflecting light from the sun. We have to understand that we are ego-less just as the moon is without light. It and we are simply reflectors. The ego is not responsible for the information. It can reflect the information in creative ways, but the information itself is pure".

mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Mysticism