Movie Recommendations: Love

Visual communication and a modern art form.
Movie tips, inspiring animations and associations.

Re: Movie Recommendations: Love

Postby Sabina » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:49 pm

I'll stay with the French theme and am adding a movie I saw only once.. more than 10 years ago, but it has made a tremendous impact on me...

Le zèbre (1992)
Starring Thierry Lhermitte, Caroline Cellier
To explain why I like it is difficult because I don't want to spoil anything. No rules are carved in stone, love is alive, creativity makes it so. Something along those lines... :)
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Sabina » Sun May 02, 2010 2:44 am

Alex & Emma (2003)
Starring Luke Wilson, Kate Hudson and Sophie Marceau
Alex is an author whose writer's block and gambling debts have landed him in a jam. In order get loan sharks off his back, he must finish his novel in 30 days or wind up dead. To help him complete his manuscript he hires stenographer Emma. As Alex begins to dictate his tale of a romantic love triangle to the charming yet somewhat opinionated stenographer, Emma challenges his ideas at every turn. Her unsolicited yet intriguing input begins to inadvertently influence Alex and his story and soon real life begins to imitate art.
I loved the plot, the dialogues, and how as his picture of her slowly changed the character she "gets" in the story changes as well. Many wonderful details. It's all in the details...
I saw it several times and could certainly watch it again.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Mon May 03, 2010 10:06 pm

The End of the Affair (1999)
It is a beautiful story on jealousy, love and passion and how they can influence our lives. But most of all it is a story on commitment and faith and the beautiful touch of both that illuminated all aspects of love.
It is based on the novel of Graham Green, with the story set in London during and just after World War II about the relationships between three central characters: writer Maurice Bendrix; Sarah Miles; and her husband, civil servant Henry Miles.

Three fascinating characters, obsessive in their feelings, two men who love the same woman and her between commitment, passion and Faith, brilliant psychological study of personal struggles, complex and multidimensional. The second half of the movie is a pure poetry rarely seen in cinematography, with beautiful music that all together makes this film a piece of art and for me one of the most beautiful love and romantic stories.
It is directed by Neil Jordan, starring Ralph Fiennes, Stephen Rea and Julianne Moore.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Previous

Return to Movies