Movie Recommendations: Love

Visual communication and a modern art form.
Movie tips, inspiring animations and associations.

Movie Recommendations: Love

Postby Sabina » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:51 pm

What are your favorite love stories (and why)?
Which movies would you recommend to others?

__11__

I will begin with a few of my recommendations.

The Notebook (2004)
Starring Ryan Gosling, Rachel McAdams, James Garner, Gena Rowlands
When I first watched this movie, I remember thinking that this is the best love movie made so far. It was instantly a classic.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)
Starring Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie
This movie wasn't a big success, speaking in general terms, but...
There is one very cheesy part (the dialogue when they are both in their neighbor's van), but other than that, I loved it. The battle of wits, the realizations, and the development... that once they were who they really are, they were perfect for each other.

Dracula (1992)
Starring Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder, Anthony Hopkins, Keanu Reeves
That's simple... Count Dracula's undying love for Mina. The scene when he recognizes that it is her, his wife and true love from so long ago, is beautiful.

I'm sure I have more to add, but that's it for now!
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Movie Recommendations: Love

Postby mirjana » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:00 pm

The Thomas Crown Affair (1999)
Starring Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo

The Thomas Crown Affair is a very well done cat-and-mouse movie in which a very rich man, successful in business and with women amuses himself by stealing artwork using intelligence and wit. And she is a seductive insurance detective who is as smart as he is which makes the whole game between them so full of charge and inteersting. Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo are perfect combination with great love scenes done in a very sophisticated way and with sensual music which gives to the whole move an atmosphere I like very much. It is smart, witty and sexy.
Last edited by mirjana on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby HGolightly » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:27 pm

"Titanic" - (1997)
Starring Leonardo diCaprio, and Kate Winslet
A magical and fascinating love story narrated by the more mature, Rose as she reflects upon her youthful days. Unhappy and economically sound; until, she meets Jack, the poor lad who is alive and rich in spirit. I really enjoyed this film, when I first viewed it at the cinema.

"The English Patient" - (1996)
Starring Ralph Fiennes, Juliette Binoche, Willem Dafoe, Kristin Thomas, Naveen Andrews, Colin Firth, et. al.
I absolutely love this film! It's a beautiful love story with a backdrop expanding over regions of the African desert during WWII. It illustrates that one does not choose love. Alternatively, it chooses when one least expects it. *One of my favorite films*.
<3
"I'll be sure to add more later"
HGolightly

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Postby mirjana » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:08 pm

The Bridges of Madison County (1995)
Starring Clint Eastwood, Meryl Streep, Annie Corley, Victor Slezak, Jim Haynie

During the absence of her family, Francesca (Meryl Streep) meets a photographer (Clint Eastwood) who has come to Madison County, Iowa to shoot a photographic essay for National Geographic on the covered bridges in the area. They fall in love and spend together four days that became a turning point in her life. She writes of her experience in a diary which is discovered by her children after her death. It illustrates that it is never late to find love.

I love this movie and brilliant acting of Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood.
mirjana

Postby Daywhite » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:07 am

Cousins (1989)
starring Ted Danson, Isabella Rossellini, Sean Young, and William Peterson

Legal secretary Maria is married to car salesman Tom. Dance teacher Larry is married to the striking Tish. Larry's uncle is marrying Maria's mother. Tom and Tish meet at the wedding and waste no time taking more than a test drive in his BMW. So when Maria and Larry become acquainted later in the day they already have a common interest. But more than that, they find they like each other. A lot.

I love this film, more than anything, for the chemistry between Ted Danson and Isabella Rossellini. Each is living their life, married, existing. But when they meet each other, they bring out something in each other that maybe they forgot was there. A beautiful, funny, movie. I've seen it at least 7 or 8 times.

The Night We Never Met (1993)
starring Matthew Broderick and Annabella Sciorra

Hard to describe why I love this. Simply about two people perfect for each other who almost never meet. A wonderful movie.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
starring Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet

A movie that shows you can't erase love. The chemistry between Carrey and Winslet made the whole movie feel real and true. Wonderful.
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby Ryan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:35 am

Ah... "Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind" good one! Not only does it show that true love prevails, but it shows what pettiness we let come between us and blow up to mountainous proportions. A wonderful movie indeed.

Let's see... how about a couple of movies that incorporate multiple stories of love in one? Like...

Love Actually (2003)
Emma Thompson, Laura Linney, Keira Knightley, Bill Nighy, Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, Alan Rickman, Rowan Atkinson, Billy Bob Thornton
It's Funny and Lovely!

and

Playing by Heart (1998)
Angelina Jolie, Gena Rowlands, Gillian Anderson, Madeleine Stowe, Sean Connery, Dennis Quaid, Ryan Phillippe
Multifaceted and multi-generational stories concerning love.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:14 pm

Sabina,
All three belong to those I see as a trade mark for love and can view each one of them again and again...Thank you for this topic because I am already aware how many great movies will be presented here so that we shall have great DS Love Movies Selection. <3

Holly,
Both your movies I viewed long time ago, after they appeared and since then not anymore. This brought them again to my attention. Thanks.

Daywhite,
Thank you for bringing Cousins here. It has been one of my very favorite, but somehow, with time it was covered with some other movie, like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which is brilliant. I admire your thoughts about these two movies. It is like you took the words right out of my mouth in describing them.
The Night We Never Met I haven't viewed, but now I know what I shall ask for next time in the video store.

Ryan,
=0) This could have been my choice. Already few times viewed both and whenever I am down, each one of them brings me back. Just perfect.

__9__

My new suggestion:

Moonstruck ( 1987 )

Starring: Cher, Nicolas Cage, Olympia Dukakis, Vincent Gardenia, Danny Aiello
Great love story put in the frame of brilliant comedy that proves that for real partner’s choice it is never too late; great family atmosphere with dialogues to remember ( some of them I quote even today), typical Italian direct communication within family and friends, which I love, brilliant casting.
mirjana

Postby Sabina » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:43 pm

This is growing to be a beautiful list.

The Lake House (2006)
Starring Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock
An extra-ordinary love story of two people at the same place, but at different times, communicating only through letters.

Serendipity (2001)
Starring John Cusack, Kate Beckinsale
Very romantic, stretches over time, about two people who although they met only briefly left a lasting impression on each other.
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby Sabina » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:18 pm

I just remembered a love movie I adored when I saw it.. but that was many many years ago. Ever since then I've been looking for it with English subtitles, but no luck so far. It's a French movie..

Fanfan (1993)
Starring Sophie Marceau, Vincent Perez
In German the title was "Fanfan & Alexandre".
A woman, a man, they fall in love with each other, but... they have different ideas of a pure and complete love, he fears the passing of passion and desire and therefore delays the magic of the first kiss, over and over again... He constantly and relentlessly woos her, and is practically obsessed with her, yet they never even kiss.
A unique story!
Sabina

Postby Daywhite » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:07 pm

There is no doubting the love in this film; the passion is so strong, it is almost audible. I remember one particular scene when one character brings the other tea, a simple gesture, but I came away thinking, although it's not spoken in the film, "I love you because you brought me tea when I was thirsty." Strange, I know, but, perhaps after seeing the film, you will understand. A truly lovely movie.

The Horseman on the Roof (1995)
original French title, Le Hussard sur le Toit
starring Olivier Martinez and Juliette Binoche
Olivier Martinez plays Angelo, an exceptionally gallant, Italian soldier-in-exile hiding out from his Austrian enemies in rural France, where a cholera epidemic is sweeping the countryside. Helped in a tough spot by a countess (Juliette Binoche), Angelo swears his unyielding protection to her as she searches for her missing husband. The nobler virtues hold sway as Martinez suppresses his own deepening love and desire for the lady, an admirable posture that has ironic consequences when the countess herself becomes deathly ill. Jean-Paul Rappeneau, maker of the ornamental but empty Cyrano de Bergerac, directs this adventure-romance to a nice pitch of vitality and high drama. The two leads establish a great chemistry (they became offscreen lovers and parents), like watching a pair of thoroughbreds running in the same race.
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Next

Return to Movies