Motivation and Creation

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Motivation and Creation

Postby Sabina » Fri May 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Do you look for external motivation or are you a natural motivator?
How easy or how hard is it for you to get yourself moving?

I think that creativity is the key to happiness. It may not be the only key, but it is a very important one, in my opinion. I know in my case it is definitely one of the major reasons why I am happy. I am not only creative in theory, but I create... daily.
It's a purely egoistical act. I like to be happy and/or feel good every day, so I create - every day.

The best of all is that there are so many ways to be creative! For example...

B0)

The other end of the spectrum is to be passive about everything and expect others to provide you with entertainment. Hence the success of television.... for example.
Even in this virtual world there are different kinds of behavior. Some are more active/creative, some are more passive.

My grandfather, in his old age, was obsessed with news reports. He followed the news all the time, like he was going to do something about it. Like he was going to make a change, or as if it was going to affect anything in his life.
It didn't change a thing of course... it was just a way to spend time. And no, I am not saying that checking the news now and then is not helpful or beneficial.
At any rate, at least he was of substantial age when he did this. I find that more "forgivable", even though I still judge it.
Wasting time is a crime.
One of the biggest crimes a person can commit.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Motivation and Creation

Postby alija » Fri May 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Sabina wrote:Even in this virtual world there are different kinds of behavior. Some are more active/creative, some are more passive.

Wasting time is a crime.
One of the biggest crimes a person can commit.

Sabina

Hi Sabina,
I do not understand how wasting of something non existing could be a crime.
You are forgetting, we are all here for different lessons, and some of Them have to learn wasting something nonexistent.

Unfortunately, I do not belong to Them, to those happy people, knowing we live in a virtual world and time doesn't exist.
alija
alija

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 0

Postby tcm2164 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:43 pm

I'm really glad that you brought up this topic because it is something that I have never gave much thought. I am usually motivated by outside forces and I am creative in short bursts that come and go like the weather, beyond my control. I had never considered the idea that I could just try to be more creative, but I am going to give it a shot and see what happens. I'll let you know how the experiment goes.

Your observation about your grandfather's obsession with the news is very insightful. I think that people [myself included] sometimes find ways to occupy their minds to avoid thoughts that are troubling them. It may be a useful short-term coping mechanism but it can lead to a hollow existence. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

PS - Monty Python is great. The Silly Walk video is a riot
tcm2164

Favorite book: Blood Meridian
Favorite movie: Into the Wild
Things I like: Nature and the outdoors, physical activity, creative people, open-mindedness.
State of Mind or Tendency: Insomnius
Kudos: 7

Postby mirjana » Fri May 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Great and motivational topic Sabina. <3
You mentioned your grandfather as an example and I think that you did it for good reasons. It is a kind of awakening point. Knowing some of my family members I can only tell that any kind of automatic and passive "activity" is not good. It slows down brain activity which causes not nice effects.
The problem with people when somebody mentions the word creativity is that this word is mostly put into the connotation of writing, painting, composing or generally art activities. Actually everything can become art with corresponding approach.
To give a personal sign to every moment of life is a beautiful creative act. To try to make it differently, to make it personal way is the way. To be grateful for being here with possibilities to do something and leave the trace behind is a great motivation for every day of life. And yes, I agree, to be creative = to be happy.

THE TRACE

To find The Light
I have to touch
The depth of darkness
And many enclosed fields.
To pass The Night
And to reach there,
Making peace with my soul
Leaving The Trace behind me
Becoming a poem,
I shall know
The vanity of the mind,
I shall feel
The happiness of my heart
Eternal restlessness
Beyond my grasp.

PS: Beautiful video. I love John Cleese and Monty Python.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Fri May 21, 2010 10:10 pm

tcm2164,
Your reply really cheered me up, and I was already in a great mood!
I would love to hear how the experiment goes, by the way. :)

Mirjana,
Yes, creativity is mostly associated with the classic arts, but to limit it like that is a pity, I agree. Hence the Monty Python example.. pure art/creativity with every step :))
We can all be artists.. creativity is the approach to every little thing we come across and/or do.

<3
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby tcm2164 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:19 pm

I'm glad to hear that the definition of creativity has been expanded. Because I can't paint, compose or even play a musical instrument. I can't sing and I most certainly can't dance....but I definitely can do the silly walk!
tcm2164

Things I like: Nature and the outdoors, physical activity, creative people, open-mindedness.

Postby Sabina » Sat May 22, 2010 2:17 am

Well, I don't think we expanded it just now.. but if so, what a breakthrough! 80S
Seriously though... how about some creative suggestions, or suggestions to be creative, other than silly walking?

1. Cooking, for instance, is definitely one way to be creative.
It can be boring and dull, just a matter of survival, or a form of art.

2. Did you ever try reading a book backwards?
I haven't.. but it could be interesting.

3. Brush your teeth before you eat instead of afterward.
It is not logical, but art doesn't have to be.
Ok, that one doesn't really count... so..

3. Invent a new super-hero based on yourself.
That could be a good topic for the Imagination Exercises forum actually. I'll add it now.

What else? How many ways of being creative can we come up with?
Sabina

Postby tcm2164 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:32 pm

Sabina quote "Well, I don't think we expanded it just now.. but if so, what a breakthrough!"

Maybe the idea of being creative just expanded for me! As Mirjana mentioned, I tend to think of creativity in a traditional, narrow sense. So I'll do something creative by redefining creativity...my new definition: to do something positive in a new way. There, The first creative act of my day is accomplished....now, I'm going to begin reading a book backwards =0D
tcm2164

Postby mirjana » Sat May 22, 2010 2:24 pm

OK, we can read backwards, =0) , but it seems like a kind of forced creativity. When I mentioned that everything can be an act of creativity I simply meant that everything we do we do it putting our awareness into it. It becomes a choice instead a homework. Already that transforms passive energy of just doing something into the active and creative energy because we put awareness and joy into it. It causes great changes. Our being is by Source creative and only our way of being will awake it or keep it by automatic pilot. Being a mother and wife of a man who was working the whole day I left my professional career in order to be for my kids there. Some of my friends considered that as an act of sacrificing and judged me severely. Instead it transformed into the most valuable time of my life. The pleasures to be daily present in the life of my kids awake my creativity. My cooking instead to be performed in hurry as a must transformed into the art. I started home study of microbiology and vegetarian cooking making it a part of our daily practice in our family life. As there was more free time I started writing and something that had been hidden came out of my heart bringing me not only a creative joy but some personal therapeutic benefits, as every creation is the best self treatment one can afford for self.
The higher goal

Even cleaning the house, considered as one of most boring things, can be very creative and joyful thing if done with decision and plan and put into the higher goal, like I clean the house so that the same evening I shall organize some special friendly meeting with friends, or film evening with special dinner for my family or some intuitive induction talks between family members. There are so many possibilities. The core guidance is not to want to be egoistically happy but to involve higher goal. When people ask me what the higher goal means I just ask them if it would be possible to be personally happy if the kids are not? For me it wouldn’t be possible. And not only kids and my husband as a highest priority, but closest family, then closest friends, then friends and other people who by synchronicity touch my life. Finally we realize that we are the most happy when the world around us is happy, which already shows enormous possibilities of creativity to make the world be such place. Recently we have seen the video about hugging, then about smiling…People who put their thoughts not only around their little persona, but around people, came to wonderful ideas how to make other people happier. This is beautiful way of creativity.
Sabina, I understand very well your happiness. If anything else and I know so much more about your creative expressions, just creating this place that has become a platform of beautiful and creative and inspiring thoughts’ exchange must give you this feeling of happiness. Tim, we became part of this world motivating each other to open and meet some inner parts of self, know them better, put some new life on them, put them into the chain of exchange, which all together awakes a specific urge to express ourselves differently. Already that is also an act of creativity.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby HGolightly » Sun May 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Do you look for external motivation or are you a natural motivator?
Occasionally I look for external motivation, but generally I am naturally motivated in most everything I do.

How easy or how hard is it for you to get yourself moving?
I think it is fairly easy to get myself moving, as I have always been the type of person who takes on an active part in life.

I would not consider myself creative within the classic arts, but I can doodle, play a little piano, run a marathon, crochet a blanket, prepare an amazing salad, bake the finest chocolate chip cookies (lols), coordinate my wardrobe for work, whistle while I work, etc. Overall, I attempt to be creative on a daily basis - some days more than others, but mostly I am a doer.

<3
HGolightly

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Next

Return to Psychology