Metaphors We Live By - Lakoff & Johnson

Not just for linguists and logophiles (word lovers)
The exploring, discovering and discussing of words, language & communication from different perspectives.

Re: Metaphors We Live By - Lakoff & Johnson

Postby mirjana » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:00 pm

WOW! Great work guys (of course not a metaphore) <3
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Rachel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:34 pm

ohhhh shizz guys, Ryan, Sabina and Mirjana, I'm so sorry - I didn't realise I was commenting on a topic that had already been discussed.

*gets back in box* =0X
Rachel

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: The Last Battle - C.S.Lewis
Favorite movie: Dogma
Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 3

Postby Ryan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:33 am

I was just pointing out the various search boxes scattered around... to answer your question though... I think if only one side is fighting it would be more a massacre or slaughter?
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby Rachel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:13 am

Ryan, that's really what I was driving at. Let's (for argument's sake) take the apparent 'War on Smoking'.

This is how I view it.

The upper level policy makers are wanting to abolish smoking due to the rising health care costs and loss of human capital due to the tobacco industry and its supporters (smokers).

Then there are the smokers, who, as far as I can see, are split into two groups. The die-hard 'smoke till I drop' stubborn puffers; and the smokers who are unfortunately hopelessly addicted to niccotine that in order to quit, are forced to spend thousands of dollars on over the counter quitting remedies or psychiatrically invasive prescription medications which bring with them their own challenges.(eg Naltrexone and Champax - not sure what the brand names are in your parts of the world).

Who is fighting what? And where are the alliances?

As far as I can make out in the Western world, the governments are determined to guilt, shame and ridicule cigarette smokers into quitting via largely unsupported, inappropriately researched and expensive means. The flipside of this is through the same public campaigns which are built upon guilting and shaming, force those who smoke cigarettes into feeding their possible personally enjoyable addictions underground -and we have another Prohibiton era (which worked well, didn't it?)

So, yes, I do ask, where is the war? Who is fighting?

in my view, there's one sided slaughter afoot, and amongst the victims are the capacity for independant critical thought and the subsequent self esteem of all peoples.

We live in such a Puritanical world these days, can't be deemed 'overweight'; can't be seen as 'addicted'; must be part of the mortgage owners' association; must have tertiary education straight out of teenage years; can't take risks; must believe what's shown as 'fact'; must follow rules without a sound...It just makes me wonder sometimes about how far we've really progressed.

It seems to me that we're all fighting something, somewhere and that it's rarely a consensual fight.

Thoughts, anyone?
Rachel

Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.

Postby Rachel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:15 am

Ryan wrote:I was just pointing out the various search boxes scattered around... to answer your question though... I think if only one side is fighting it would be more a massacre or slaughter?

Sorry Ryan, search boxes? Where would I find those for future refs?
Rachel

Postby Ryan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:22 pm

I understand what you are saying... but my problem is "what is the truth?"...

If they are telling you something is the reason for what they are doing... I believe they are only telling you the part they want you to know... but, in the long run it has to be about profit. Gain in one way or another...

The economy doesn't lose anything through the purchasing of pharmaceuticals, medical treatments... so it isn't really about the medical costs. And I find it very hard to believe there is any sincere concern over the "common" person's health. Because with most economies current status, it wouldn't hurt to lose a lot of people... There is something else that is motivating this/these "war(s)".

Maybe it is just one more thing to help keep the masses separated... one more slice in the pie to keep people from coming together and working together for an overall good?

If you look around there are all kinds of supported prejudices from the media and government alike... why? Don't we all know from history where that all leads? "Can't we all just get along?"

The thing is, from all of our historical references there were mainly just two "sides" and they would wind up fighting until something happened to "calm the waters". However, now there are dozens of "sides" and they can't pick any particular piece of pie to focus on, so nothing happens... Nothing of real concern because the groups are broke down into small enough groups that any instances are easily contained. Smoking is just another separation within the already existing separations.

I mean, there isn't any real slaughters or massacres happening. Smokers can still buy cigarettes, people can still buy drugs, there are still people who can't read. You can do almost anything you want in your house as long as you are very quiet and careful about it... which also helps create seclusion and solitude... a wariness of your friends and neighbors and makes even smaller pieces... until everyone becomes a crumb within their society... not a chance for any problems.

I think the term "war" is applied simply for associative purposes. If there is a "war" on drugs, "war" on smoking, "war" on poverty, "war" on illiteracy, etc. Then pretty soon your immediate association of "war" is a positive result. It might be a bit messy during the war, but in the long run the result is only for the betterment of health, knowledge, and standard of living... It's a means with which they will slowly adjust a culture to accepting and not questioning the reasons for "war" in general. I mean, the war on drugs was the 80's, right? that's around 30 years of warring on this and that... and... no big deal right? No real harm done? It's only an attempt to make things better...

You wrote:Sorry Ryan, search boxes? Where would I find those for future refs?

I wrote:SITE WIDE SEARCH is in the bottom left corner of every page or here.

OR!

To SEARCH THE ENTIRE FORUM go here.

(Thanks to Sabina's link tutorial I was able to post all of this in a helpful manner)
=0/
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby Rachel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:26 am

Ryan, I do believe your response largely correlates with mine. Variances on a theme.
Rachel

Postby tcm2164 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:07 am

The war metaphor is a good example because it is so commonly used in western culture. And it is used because it is effective at influencing people. Off the top of my head, I can recall declarations of wars on drugs, terrorism and poverty. The word "war" has a group of other words and concepts commonly associated with it. And, since our minds use association, these secondary concepts and meanings influence how we think and feel when "war" is declared. Some common feelings invoked by war are fear, anger, hatred, etc.

Our minds also have associations about how wars are conducted. Generally war is not declared until all other options are exhausted, so implicit in the war metaphor is that there are no other viable options [like legalizing drugs for example]. Also implicit is that the current situation is intolerable [i.e. drastic action must be taken]. War is competitive not cooperative.

In wars we expect to see battles, destruction, attacks, prisoners, suffering and injuries, winners and losers. And we may have to make sacrifices so our side will prevail [restrictions on civil liberties are a pretty common sacrifice during wars]. And if someone opposes the "war" on whatever, then one risks becoming the enemy, or at least, unpatriotic.

So by accepting a a seemingly innocuous slogan we allow someone to set a frame of reference for how we will view and approach a situation and what our expectations will be.
tcm2164

Favorite book: Blood Meridian
Favorite movie: Into the Wild
Things I like: Nature and the outdoors, physical activity, creative people, open-mindedness.
State of Mind or Tendency: Insomnius
Kudos: 7

Previous

Return to Words & Language