Magic of Olive tree

Discuss natural remedies, the knowledge of herbs,
magic potions and strengthening brews.

Magic of Olive tree

Postby mirjana » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:26 pm

Part One
History

The olive tree seems to have been native in the Mediterranean region and Western Asia and spread to nearby countries from there. It is estimated the cultivation of olive trees began more than 7000 years ago. After the 16th century, the Europeans brought the olive to the New World, and its cultivation began in Mexico, Peru, Chile and Argentina, and then in the 18th century in California. It is estimated that there are about 800 million olive trees in the world today, and the vast majority of these are found in Mediterranean countries.
Olive trees are very hardy, drought-, disease- and fire-resistant, and can live for a very long time. Its root system is very robust and capable of regenerating the tree even if the above-ground structure is destroyed. The older an olive tree is, the broader and ganglier its trunk appears. Many olive trees in the groves around the Mediterranean are said to be several centuries old, and in some cases this has been verified scientifically.

The age of olive tree

It was found by Pliny the Elder about a sacred Greek olive tree that was 1600 years old. Several trees in the Garden of Gethsemane in Jerusalem are claimed to date back to the time of Jesus. Some Italian olive trees are believed to date back to Roman times. One olive tree in Bar, Montenegro, is claimed to be over 2000 years old.
There is an olive tree in Crete, claimed to be over 2,000 years old, (based on tree ring analysis). Another well-known olive tree on the island of Brijuni (Brioni), Istria in Croatia, has been calculated to be about 1,600 years old and still giving fruit (about 30 kg/66 lb per year), which is made into top quality olive oil.
An olive tree in west Athens, named "Plato's Olive Tree", is claimed to be a remnant of the grove within which Plato's Academy was situated, which would date it to approximately 2,400 years ago.
According to a recent scientific survey, there are tens of ancient olive trees throughout Biblical Israel, 1600-2000 years old, from even before the rise of Islam. Specifically, two giant olive trees in the Arab town of Arraba and five trees in Deir Hanna, both in Galilee region, have been determined to be over 3000 years old. All seven trees continue to produce olives.
A tree located in Santu Baltolu di Carana in Sardinia, Italy, named with respect as the Ozzastru by the inhabitants of the region, is claimed to be 3000 to 4000 years old according to different studies. In the same natural garden, a few other millenary trees can be admired.

Olive tree on Ithaca, Greece

Symbolism of the olive tree

As a symbol of abundance, wisdom, glory, fertility, power, pureness and peace, olive leaves were used to crown the victors of friendly games and bloody wars. As emblems of benediction and purification, they were also ritually offered to deities and powerful figures as emblems of benediction and purification.
Some were even found in Tutankhamen's tomb.

In Ancient Egypt, the odor of the olive was utilized in rituals for its ability to bring together many different peoples, beliefs and values. The ancient Greeks used to smear olive oil on their bodies and hair as a matter of grooming and good health.
Long been considered sacred olive oil was used to anoint kings and athletes in ancient Greece. Or it was burnt in the sacred lamps of temples. It was also the "eternal flame" of the original Olympic Games. Victors in these games were crowned with its leaves. It is still used today in many religious ceremonies. It is mentioned many times in one of its symbolical meaning in Bible and Quran.

Olive tree and ecology

Olives are now being looked at for use as a renewable energy source, using waste produced from the olive plants as an energy source that produces 2.5 times the energy generated by burning the same amount of wood. The smoke released has no negative impact on neighbors or the environment, and the ash left in the stove can be used for fertilizing gardens and plants. The process has been patented in the Middle East and the US.

Next, Part Two: Healing Properties of the olive tree

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Healing Properties of olive leaves

Postby mirjana » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:54 pm

Benefits of Olive leaves

Recorded evidence of olive leaf's medicinal use dates back thousands of years: it was used by ancient Egyptian and Mediterranean cultures to treat a variety of health conditions showing the blood pressure lowering effects , antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory , anti-aging, immunostimulators, and even antibiotics properties. A liquid olive leaf extract derived directly from fresh olive leaves recently gained international attention when it was shown to have an antioxidant capacity almost double green tea extract and 400% higher than Vitamin C. Because of the ability to act as a natural pathogens killer by inhibiting the replication process of many pathogens, fighting olive leaf and extracts are utilized in the complementary and alternative medicine.
It is used to fight colds and flu, yeast infections, and viral infections such as the hard-to-treat Epstein-Barr disease, shingles and herpes.
Olive leaves contain secoiridoids - including oleuropein, as well as ligustroside and oleacein. It further contains triterpenoids (oleanolic acid and uvaol), sterols, flavonoids (chrysoeriol, apigenin and luteolin glycosides) and various other phenolic acids. Therefore is olive leaf good for the heartIt has been shown that olive leaf reduce low-density lipoproteins (LDL), or bad cholesterol, lowers blood pressure and increases blood flow by relaxing the arteries. It is an antiseptic astringent herb that lowers fever and blood pressure, improves kidney function and has a calming effect.
It is also shown that people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome have reported a radical improvement when taking olive leaf extract internally and report more energy and a better sense of wellbeing.
Olive leaf extract further improves Candida infections and the resultant vaginal discharge, psoriasis, PMS, weight problems, headaches and all other symptoms that coincide with yeast infections.
It seems that it is beneficial for people struggling with the Epstein Barr virus.
The bark is sometimes used to treat colic.

Olive leaf tea

1. Place one large teaspoon (approx. 10g) in a tea ball or herb sack.
2. Drop into two quarts boiling water, immediately reduce heat to a medium simmer and let tea brew in covered pot for three to ten minutes.
3. Stir tea occasionally, strain to drink and/or refrigerate. Tea should be a medium amber color. To combat a specific ailment sip your tea and consume entire two quarts over a two day period.
__8__
Olive leaf tea tastes very nice and has a satisfying mellow flavor. Longer steeping or brewing in a tea press creates a stronger, slightly bitter infusion (from the active ingredient Oleuropein) than can be mellowed with a slice of fresh lemon, stevia, soy, milk, sugar and other herbal flavorings. Serve hot or chilled. It also blends well with Green and other teas/herbs. Personally, I use it always alone.
Olive leaf tea contains the active ingredient "oleuropein" which scientific studies have shown has anti-viral, anti-fungal and some anti-bacterial properties. The usual adult dose is 1/2 cup twice a day, although two persons had better results using 1/2 cup 3 times a day.

Gathering your own olive leaves

First find a good old Manzanillo or Mission olive tree. The best harvest time is May and June because the leaves are preparing to pollinate and have the highest concentration of Oleuropein during these two months. Protect your fingers by wrapping them in cloth tape or cotton gloves and pull across the longer branches to get a handful of leaves. Soak your leaves, wash the leaves thoroughly with clean pure water to remove dirt and or chemicals if you are not lucky to have not treated olive tree. Once cleaned the leaves should be spread over some cotton surface and shade to dry for a day. After first drying sift the leaves to remove loose stems and then lightly pack in open bags to thoroughly dry and cure in a dry, cool, dark area, for about a month. Once fully dried leaves can be used whole or for best results ground before brewing. You can blend them on the slowest speed.

Side effects

Those who have low blood pressure, glucose level and diabetes should not use products made of olive leaves, especially if already taking pharmaceutical products for these problems.

Next, Part Three:
What you should know about olive oil and its healing properties

Mirjana
mirjana

Healing properties of olive oil

Postby mirjana » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:46 am

Healing properties

Uses for Internal purposes
To most it is highly palatable taken by itself, but for those who find it otherwise, it can be taken with orange, lemon or grape juice.
Consuming olive oil can help lower LDL cholesterol as it is rich in antioxidants that discourage artery clogging and chronic diseases involving the cardio-vascular system. People who use olive oil regularly and in place of other fats such as hydrogenated fats and vegetable oils have much lower rates of atherosclerosis, diabetes, colon cancer, and asthma, cut the risk of coronary heart disease almost in half. It is shown that consummation of 25 milliliters (about 2 tablespoons) of virgin olive oil daily for one week showed less oxidation of LDL cholesterol and higher blood levels of antioxidant compounds.

- Pure olive oil mixes with other foods and assists their digestion and the natural disposal of waste matter.
- A spoonful of olive oil sipped by speakers who suffer with throat troubles will be found very beneficial.
- For gastric catarrh and like digestive troubles, olive oil will be found of great service -use one tablespoonful of olive oil and one of honey in a glass of hot water twice a day.

- There is nothing like it for coughs, colds and sore throats - a teaspoonful kept in the mouth as long as possible becomes thoroughly emulsified, and is easily assimilated by the weakest digestions.
- Swimmers have found it excellent for keeping out the cold, when their bodies have first been well rubbed with it.
- It is quickly absorbed by the skin, and if rubbed over the body it is said to have the power of sustaining life for long periods, even when no food is taken by the stomach. Many persons given up by physicians to die of consumption have regained health and life form the use of pure olive oil. –
- In all cases of want of assimilation, emaciation, or where there is a consumptive tendency, the oil is invaluable
- "Splendid results are derived in treatment of typhoid fever by slowly administering every twelve or fifteen hours an enemy of a pint of olive oil. The daily administration is discontinued after one week, and then may be given only when the temperature is elevated, or the bowels constipated. If diarrhea is present olive oil should always be given."( The journal of the American Medical Association):
- Taken in the morning before breakfast (one spoon oil and 1/2spoon lemon juice) is excellent supporter and healer for liver;
- However, olive oils therapeutic and medicinal benefits are not only external. Olive oil is also a popular laxative for children as it removes stony deposits from the bile as well as intestinal worms. When rubbed gently on the gums of teething children, by absorption, olive oil keeps the bowels functional.

Uses for external purposes
Hair Treatment

Olive oil nourishes and conditions the hair and scalp. It also helps with the elasticity and strength of the hair. Here is an easy hair treatment.
1/4 cup olive oil
5 drops (any) essential oil
1 plastic bag large enough to fit over the head

Combine the olive oil and essential oil into a jar, shake well. Set in dark, cool place overnight. Shake again before using.
Rinse hair with warm water. Using about a tablespoon of the oil mixture poured into your hand rub it through your hair all the way to the ends. Repeat as needed.
Put the plastic bag over your head and secure it with a clip, leaving it for a half hour. Rinse well and shampoo.

- A few drops rubbed on a wasp sting will immediately stop the burning sensation and prevent swelling.
- For burns, sores, cuts, scratches, sore feet, chapped hands, rough, broken or sunburn skins an application of olive oil will have a wonderful healing effect. Sufferers from earache find a few drops of warm olive oil work wonders.

- A spot or two of olive oil rubbed in to the hands and applied to rough hands will soon render them smooth and of presentable appearance.
- For lumbago and similar troubles olive oil mixed with cayenne pepper and applied to the affected parts by means of a woolen bandage will do much to create the circulation necessary to remove the trouble. One of the best possible exercises to prevent lumbago and similar troubles is to rub the body all over after a bath, with the hands, using the minimum drops of olive oil with the maximum of rubbing. No olive oil should, when rubbing has ceased, be left on the skin to grease the clothes;
- Rubbed into the scalp the day previous to the hair being shampooed will produce growth and silkiness.
- - Rubbed well into the skin prior to sunbathing will prevent burns and blisters.
- - The rubbing of olive oil into the back and chest of a delicate child will do much to ensure robust health and fitness;

Those who recognize its wonderful medicinal properties and the many uses to which it can be put will never fail to keep a bottle of pure olive oil in the house.
Next, Part Four: How to recognize the best olive oil

Mirjana
mirjana

How to recognize the best olive oil?

Postby mirjana » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 pm

Olive oil is monounsaturated fat, which means that it doesn’t contain cholesterol. The best is extra virgin olive oil, which not only is the source of monounsaturated fat, but as coming from the first pressing of the olives it contains higher levels of antioxidants, particularly polyphenols and vitamin E and K, as less processed. It is also considered a highly nutritional food.

Extra virgin oil
It is considered the best variety as it is extracted without the use of heat, and is considered cold pressed oil. Because there is no heat or chemicals involved in its processing the flavor remains intact. As it is handled less, it retains more of its natural state.

Virgin oil It is made from the second pressing. Can you imagine using a tea bag twice? The nutrients and the flavor just are not as they were the first time. The same with this olive oil.

Pure oil
It has undergone some processing and heat during filtering and refining. A little extra virgin olive oil is added to this refined oil, and creates what is considered a lower grade of oil that is frequently sold under the simple term olive oil in the U.S.

Extra light oil
It has undergone considerable processing and is valued by some for its lack of flavor. In this processing many nutrients are compromised. It is frequently marketed as light oil to fool you into thinking it is low fat. This type of oil is unregulated by any certification organization and there is no precedent as to what its content should be. Sometimes it has been cut with other vegetable oils.

How to use olive oil?

It does best when kept in a cool and dark location, in a tightly sealed bottle. This is why the really good extra virgin oils come in dark glass bottles. Like other oils, olive oil can easily become rancid when exposed to air, light or high temperatures.

The measure of an oils ability to be used in cooking is its smoke point. Once oil begins to smoke it has lost its integrity and is producing free radicals.

Olive oil is fine for use in cooking at very low temperatures. For cooking at higher temperatures safflower oil or coconut oil are much better choices. Safflower oil, the other monosaturated oil, retains its integrity at temperatures up to 500 degrees, as coconut oil. The flavor of safflower oil is not as delicate as that of olive oil, but when it is used in cooking other flavors usually blend well with its taste. The best way to use olive oil is to be added to cooked foods when they have cooled, in soups, sauces, beans, stews, vegetable dishes, in salad dressings .
mirjana

Re: Magic of Olive tree

Postby Alvino » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:08 am

It is my goal to live to be over 100 yrs old.
I am throughly convinced Olive Oil will ensure I reach my goal, except
for the fact my food preparation skills start and stop at
the Boiling Water level. I think I need a helper who can cook
so I can benefit as much as possible from olive oil.

I am wondering, If I dare ask: Will olive oil help me be a better piano
player will I be suspended for a week or so?
Alvino

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

Postby Ryan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:40 am

I would suggest to forget about the piano and learn to cook instead.
=0/
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Alvino wrote:...
I am wondering, If I dare ask: Will olive oil help me be a better piano
player will I be suspended for a week or so?

It will not help you be a better piano player, but it will help you not to lose time in treating effects of wrong life attitude toward food, but investing your time in better things to do like improving your playing skills.

Mirjana
=0)
mirjana

Postby Alvino » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:47 am

I FINALLY got over my SHOCK FROM your two responses:

RYAN, I give you a sincere KUDO because your help was
PURE WISDOM.

and MIRJANA , I hope my KUDO to you will become official.
I have never in my life ever received a more gentle or
or warmer or more loving chastisement. Thanks.

AL
Alvino

State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

Return to Gifts of Nature