Lucky people

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Lucky people

Postby Sabina » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:42 am

The following is an excerpt from an article, about lucky people and what they do differently.

Recently I came upon a fascinating study by Richard Wiseman, a psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire. Wiseman surveyed a number of people and, through a series of questionnaires and interviews, determined which of them considered themselves lucky—or unlucky. He then performed an intriguing experiment: He gave both the “lucky” and the “unlucky” people a newspaper and asked them to look through it and tell him how many photographs were inside. He found that on average the unlucky people took two minutes to count all the photographs, whereas the lucky ones determined the number in a few seconds.

How could the “lucky” people do this? Because they found a message on the second page that read, “Stop counting. There are 43 photographs in this newspaper.” So why didn’t the unlucky people see it? Because they were so intent on counting all the photographs that they missed the message. Wiseman noted,

“Unlucky people miss chance opportunities because they are too focused on looking for something else. They go to parties intent on finding their perfect partner, and so miss opportunities to make good friends. They look through the newspaper determined to find certain job advertisements and, as a result, miss other types of jobs. Lucky people are more relaxed and open, and therefore see what is there, rather than just what they are looking for.”

Makes sense, doesn't it?
What are your thoughts?
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Lucky people

Postby mirjana » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:55 pm

I think that one of important characteristics lucky people have is gratitude for that what they already have. With such attitude they are focus on themselves and they spend their energy on creating their life. It keeps them awake and alert and therefore creative and active, open to changes.Therefore they are more at ease and more open to all opportunities, and life bring us always more of that what we appreciate, as our energy is then focused in positive direction.
Unlucky people are stuck in the feeling of misery and their daily companion is looking more on others than on themselves. Instead to create their life they compare themselves with others and always see that somebody else have more, better... With such attitude their energy is focused on envy and loses creativity and personal initiative to create life they would like to have. They have less connection with their inner and therefore less faith in life.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Metatron » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Haha, awesome! Just proves I'm right about mental blocks :P

I'm always fascinated when I realize that my biggest enemy can only be me, but even more fascinating is when I see that others are so blind to this. After all, when people tell me life's unfair and I have to get used to it, only I can make the decision to believe them. Why is it that it's the most dangerous beliefs that get rooted deep in my mind and why is it so hard to get rid of them?
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Postby dermot » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:50 am

I think the Professor was being disingenuous in conducting an experiment around whether people deemed themselves to be 'lucky' or 'unlucky'.

Those personal descriptions are indicative of a mindset, maybe a lazy way to cover our own shortcomings or ignore a trait we dont fully understand within us.

Somebody who feels closed, fearful, or limited will listen to 'the man' and do what he says...ie they take their entire direction from outside of themselves...to me this seems like they are acting out of fear, a fear that they dont challenge.

When we challenge the negatives that living a life inevitably brings and discover who we really are we dont accept limitations as much, and so our tunnel vision is replaced with a wider focus and we get to see more of whats on offer.

We stop using tags like 'lucky' or 'unlucky' and take responsibility for our own lives ...then we find the answers more easily just like the people who saw the paragraph that enabled them to stop counting and save time and energy.

Who was it who said......"the harder i practise the luckier i get".

D.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Return to Psychology