Loyalty

Not just for linguists and logophiles (word lovers)
The exploring, discovering and discussing of words, language & communication from different perspectives.

Loyalty

Postby mirjana » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Recently presented proposal from Sabina about closing DS Forums has opened talks about pro and contra. http://www.deepspirits.com/exploration/the-end-of-the-forum-a-proposal-t809.html
My thoughts about that whole theme go mostly along with the word LoyaltyThis has inpsired me to open this topic.

“Loyalty is faithfulness or a devotion to a person, country, group, or cause. (Philosophers disagree as to what things one can be loyal to. Some, as explained in more detail below, argue that one can be loyal to a broad range of things, whilst others argue that it is only possible for loyalty to be to another person and that it is strictly interpersonal.)”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyaltying

Dictionary results point the following:

1. Unswerving in allegiance.
2. Faithful in allegiance to one's lawful sovereign or government.
3. Faithful to a private person to whom fidelity is due.
4. Faithful to a cause, ideal, custom, institution, or product.
5. The state of being loyal; fidelity.
Some other thoughts:

Fred Reichheld in his book, The Loyalty Effect, defines loyalty as the willingness to make an investment or personal sacrifice to strengthen a relationship.
Josiah Royce in his 1908 book The Philosophy of Loyalty considers loyalty as a primary virtue, "the heart of all the virtues, the central duty amongst all the duties". The short definition that he gives of the idea is that loyalty is "the willing and practical and thoroughgoing devotion of a person to a cause.”
The cause cannot be one's personal self but something external to oneself that one looks outward to the world to find, and that cannot be found within. It concerns other people, not one's own person and that in active way, surrendering of one's self-will to the chosen cause. Such way makes loyalty a kind of social service that unites fellows of the same choice.
Quotes
“If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't follow. I'd be at the bottom to catch them when they fall.”
“The greater the loyalty of a group toward the group, the greater is the motivation among the members to achieve the goals of the group, and the greater the probability that the group will achieve its goals.”
“Lack of loyalty is one of the major causes of failure in every walk of life”
“You've got to give loyalty down, if you want loyalty up.”

Whart are YOUR thoughts?
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Words & Language