Listening to Virtual Words

Not just for linguists and logophiles (word lovers)
The exploring, discovering and discussing of words, language & communication from different perspectives.

Listening to Virtual Words

Postby Sabina » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:08 am

I just started the Words about Words topic, and it made me wonder how Goethe's quote applies in regards to our virtual worlds and words spoken therein. How much can we "hear" through virtual words? Do we get to know the mind of a person?

"If you wish to know the mind of a man, listen to his words."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

So the 21st century World Wide Web version of Goethe's quote would be:

"If you wish to know the mind of a human, read their words."

Does it work that way? Any thoughts, ideas, observations?

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Listening to Virtual Words

Postby Ryan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:31 am

Yes, it works that way at the moment...
Rambling Ryan wrote:...but with the way that the WWW media is advancing, the original Goethe quote maybe applicable before too long with video, storage, and bandwidth growing at its present rate. Possibly Google and other large search engines will start parsing the audio of video feeds to harvest key words for returning video as a result...? Plus with the laziness or busyness factor it would be the quickest and simplest thing to simply sit down in front of your computer and speak directly to your web cam and upon the click of a button the video would be automatically uploaded to "your space" and the listings automatically altered to include the latest feed.

"Do you get to know the mind of a person?" I think that depends on you and how clearly you see things. "See things", in the sense of, even if someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes (or keep it over their own eyes) you can recognize it and, (at least) semi-accurately, assess the reason as to why. People's behavior definitely will help you to "get to know the mind of a person" even if they are completely false. To quote a great line from Quentin Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds"...
Colonel Landa said as Quentin Tarantino wrote:I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, but rumors, whether or not they're true, can be so revealing...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:44 pm

I do believe that word expresses the person and that what person IS., which is the consciousness of the person.Either the person is or is not able to always express the best way that what wants to say, which should be the illustration of chain of thoughts and emotions that are connected in the consciousness in the moment of expression, those who listens or read always have their way to express with words their understanding or to ask more information. And that is the beauty of communicating with words if we apply this what is given to us in a proper way.
The words creations are questions, answers, clarifications etc. and all that as parts of the world of words helps in final understanding of the word.
From the moment when it is said until the moment when it is understood. there is the way that the word has to pass, the little journey of understanding, as we as persons do with our life journeys.
Probably is therefore word one of so important tools we can use on our life journey, a tool through which our consciousness expresses itself and is able to understand the expressions of other people consciousness.

I am so happy that Oprah who is a cult media in spreading words now has started a whole new approach of using her charismatic influence that will definitely , as I see it, contribute to grander change of human consciousness.

Mirjana
Last edited by mirjana on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Ryan wrote:"Do you get to know the mind of a person?" I think that depends on you and how clearly you see things. "See things", in the sense of, even if someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes (or keep it over their own eyes) you can recognize it and, (at least) semi-accurately, assess the reason as to why. People's behavior definitely will help you to "get to know the mind of a person" even if they are completely false.

That's interesting, but it made me wonder... Doesn't our ability to recognize deceit (whether it is deliberate or not) also have to do with how we look at people?
For example, if I am an optimist and a humanist, and always look for the best in people, then I will probably recognize deceit less than say a skeptic.
Being skeptical, and expecting people to act their worst, would make it more difficult for people to fool me, simply because I have a tendency to see the worst they can be, and in that sense, from time to time, I might be right and feel gratification. I would then also see it as a confirmation for me beliefs of people.

So, in that sense, our focus determines our reality.
What do you think?

Sabina
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby Ryan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:02 am

There is optimism and skepticism and then there is just plain fooling yourself/protecting yourself... your motivation for being an optimist or a skeptic would be the decisive factor.

Sabina wrote:Doesn't our ability to recognize deceit (whether it is deliberate or not) also have to do with how we look at people?
You said "people" and I am speaking about "person". I am talking about a one on one with a person where you are open and receptive to hear/feel what that person has to say/write. If you have a standard approach (optimism or skepticism) to every matter regardless of what is being said then you do not possess the ability to recognize anything. Instead you will only project that which you want to see/hear/feel. I don't believe any true ability derives from projection but rather from reception.
Ryan

Postby Sabina » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:08 am

I said "how we look at people", which includes "how we look at a person", or "how one looks at a person".

So you are saying that if someone is an optimist in the sense that they believe people to be basically good, capable of good, etc. - then they will project that in a one on one conversation, and then they cannot receive anything?
So the positive attitude towards a person blinds them?

Sabina
Sabina

Postby mirjana » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am

Ryan wrote:There is optimism and skepticism and then there is just plain fooling yourself/protecting yourself... your motivation for being an optimist or a skeptic would be the decisive factor.

Sabina wrote:Doesn't our ability to recognize deceit (whether it is deliberate or not) also have to do with how we look at people?
You said "people" and I am speaking about "person". I am talking about a one on one with a person where you are open and receptive to hear/feel what that person has to say/write. If you have a standard approach (optimism or skepticism) to every matter regardless of what is being said then you do not possess the ability to recognize anything. Instead you will only project that which you want to see/hear/feel. I don't believe any true ability derives from projection but rather from reception.

Hi Ryan,

The way you said has been suggesting that reception excludes both, optimism and skepticism.
Would you mind explaining what do you think when you say reception? Doesn´t reception include exactly that who we are and how we approach life and people?

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby Ryan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:38 am

Sabina wrote:So you are saying that if someone is an optimist in the sense that they believe people to be basically good, capable of good, etc. - then they will project that in a one on one conversation, and then they cannot receive anything?
So the positive attitude towards a person blinds them?
No, I am saying there is a difference between just being an optimist and fooling yourself... but both can be labeled as being an optimist, and yes one of those would limit the person in which they cannot receive anything but what they are projecting. It would blind them towards the reality of the situation.

Mirjana wrote:The way you said has been suggesting that reception excludes both, optimism and skepticism.
Would you mind explaining what do you think when you say reception? Doesn´t reception include exactly that who we are and how we approach life and people?
True reception has nothing to do with who or how we are or how we approach anything. To be totally unbiased and open to understand that which is outside of our self would be to truly receive. A TV or radio is a simple receiver of a signal in which it translates to a picture and/or sound. It simply receives the signal and displays exactly that which was transmitted. If your TV (radio) filter's everything through pink (distortion) before displaying it on the screen (playing it through the speaker) then that what we see (hear) is not that which was transmitted or received but is now something different. A machine can do this easier than a human because it does not judge and has no personal feelings toward the transmitted signal. I don't say that people don't filter transmissions through their personalities... I only say it is not true reception if they do.
Ryan

Postby mirjana » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Ryan wrote:True reception has nothing to do with who or how we are or how we approach anything. To be totally unbiased and open to understand that which is outside of our self would be to truly receive. A TV or radio is a simple receiver of a signal in which it translates to a picture and/or sound. It simply receives the signal and displays exactly that which was transmitted. If your TV (radio) filter's everything through pink (distortion) before displaying it on the screen (playing it through the speaker) then that what we see (hear) is not that which was transmitted or received but is now something different. A machine can do this easier than a human because it does not judge and has no personal feelings toward the transmitted signal. I don't say that people don't filter transmissions through their personalities... I only say it is not true reception if they do.

It would be maybe great if we had radio´s or TV´s receptive abilities. But we do not, as that what differs us from machine are emotions and all other psychological reactions that are filters of our receptions, either we are aware of that or not.
So, how I understood this talk about listening to words was in connection with all these human limitations and not put in the context of something that actually does not exist. Or you think it does?

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby Ryan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Yes, I think it exists... I don't think it is common, but yes I believe it exists.
Ryan

Return to Words & Language