Koyaanisqatsi..........life out of control

Visual communication and a modern art form.
Movie tips, inspiring animations and associations.

Koyaanisqatsi..........life out of control

Postby dermot » Sun May 09, 2010 2:19 pm

The film consists primarily of slow motion and time-lapse photography of cities and many natural landscapes across the United States. The visual tone poem contains neither dialogue nor a vocalized narration: its tone is set by the juxtaposition of images and music. Reggio explains the lack of dialog by stating "it's not for lack of love of the language that these films have no words. It's because, from my point of view, our language is in a state of vast humiliation. It no longer describes the world in which we live."[6] In the Hopi language, the word Koyaanisqatsi means "crazy life, life in turmoil, life out of balance, life disintegrating, a state of life that calls for another way of living".[7] The film is the first in the Qatsi trilogy of films: it is followed by Powaqqatsi (1988) and Naqoyqatsi (2002). The trilogy depicts different aspects of the relationship between humans, nature, and technology. Koyaanisqatsi is the best known of the trilogy and is considered a cult film. However, because of copyright issues, the film was out of print for most of the 1990s.

Interesting???
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Re: Koyaanisqatsi..........life out of control

Postby Sabina » Sun May 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Yes, Dermot, I agree completely. Koyaanisqatsi is absolute cult. Did you know that a scene from Koyaanisqatsi is shown in the Matrix movie, when Morpheus and Neo are in the "construct", the scene when Neo gets his first lesson about the Matrix and what it is?
Just a piece of trivia...
The music by Philip Glass is beautiful... (!)

As a continuation I would recommend the Baraka movie, made in 1992.
Baraka is an ancient Sufi word, which can be translated as "a blessing, or as the breath, or essence of life from which the evolutionary process unfolds."
The movie was filmed at 152 locations in 24 countries. It is awe-inspiring beauty. I was moved to tears when I watched it, especially the first part, and I don't mean by sadness or anything like that. Some of the scenes in it touched me very deeply, others were simply fascinating.

Here is a little preview, although watching this on DVD, or Blu-ray if possible, is a must.
It is really not the kind of thing that should be watched online....

Ron Fricke, who was involved with both these movies, said: "I feel that my work has evolved through Koyaanisqatsi, Chronos and Baraka. Both technically and philosophically I am ready to delve even deeper into my favorite theme: humanity's relationship to the eternal"
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Return to Movies