Just Laziness

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: Just Laziness

Postby mirjana » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:02 pm

David White, I love your poem. It says much about you and your approach to life.
This photo could be my choice for associations that go along with your answer to this topic. Knowing how much I love dogs says a lot. 80S
I tried to express this personal and not general aspect about laziness but I didn't succeed in that as good as you did it.
Life as a whole is a parameter for individual and other observation about everything. So, your symbol of a man who will find the lost under every circumstances and still then later be judged as lazy when just resting after who knows what he has been behind him, that is great illustration for human tendencies to put everything into the same hat and give then names, roles, judgments...
I do not know how I miss this answer and saw it only today. But I am happy I saw it, that's what matters.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby crystaldart » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:24 am

There is this theory known as The Principle of Least Action. It says, things happen in the way that requires least effort, which is why, among other things, light travels in straight lines.

This is a fancy way of saying that nature is lazy. In other words, To be lazy is just natural.
crystaldart

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 2

Postby Sabina » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:28 pm

That's interesting.
Where does that put the saying "just because it's easy, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do" or "the right way is not always the easy way"?
Are those just constructs of a demented society?

Where does that put indifference?

I can relate to everything that has been written here... I gave Daywhite kudos for his dissertation on laziness.
Well said, nicely explained.

Crystaldart, that's a nice contribution to the topic.

And all is well as far as I am concerned, depending on what exactly we are saying here.

Daywhite opened with a quote by Soren Kierkegaard.
Here is another quote by the same author.

"At the bottom of enmity between strangers lies indifference."
~ Soren Kierkegaard

Or how about this one...

"There is nothing with which every man is so afraid as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming."
~ Soren Kierkegaard

If laziness is only a construct of society (small or large) as the means of pushing people, directly or indirectly, to do what they are told to do, if laziness is just a word that is used to brainwash people into being worker-bees, then ok.
The word laziness is bad.

But, if laziness is rather a construct of one's own fear, along the lines of Kierkegaard's second quote above, then that is an entirely different matter, and laziness is wrong.

"Bad" and "wrong" are both negative words, but with very different connotations in this context.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Previous

Return to Spirited Debate