Just Laziness

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Just Laziness

Postby Sabina » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:02 pm

We've had a topic called Fear or Laziness, but what if putting the two into the same discussion is not a good idea? Or perhaps, it is merely wiser to take them one at a time. Maybe?

So, here are a few quotes on laziness, for your consideration.

__2__

"So much attention is paid to the aggressive sins, such as violence and cruelty and greed with all their tragic effects, that too little attention is paid to the passive sins, such as apathy and laziness, which in the long run can have a more devastating effect."
Eleanor Roosevelt

"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired."
Jules Renard

"The idle man does not know what it is to enjoy rest."
Albert Einstein

"Disobedience, the rarest and most courageous of the virtues, is seldom distinguished from neglect, the laziest and commonest of the vices."
George Bernard Shaw

"The lazier a man is, the more he plans to do tomorrow."
Norwegian Proverb

"Even the learned ones avoid people who are lazy
because they know their efforts will go futile."
Rig Veda

"I am sick of reasonable people: they see all the reasons for being lazy and doing nothing."
George Bernard Shaw

"Men are even lazier than they are timorous, and what they fear most is the troubles with which any unconditional honesty and nudity would burden them."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Just Laziness

Postby mirjana » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:45 pm

Sabina wrote:"I am sick of reasonable people: they see all the reasons for being lazy and doing nothing."
George Bernard Shaw

I like this one. But then I realize that the word "nothing" can be interpretated in many different ways.
I would appreciate your thoughts about the meaning of the word "nothing" in this quote.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:50 pm

Mirjana,

It is not just the word "nothing"... what about the word "laziness"?

I know I am by many, incl. myself, often seen as a synonym for a non-lazy person, I do super-human things, etc., but when it comes to certain things, I am so very very lazy....

If I am working on something I like and want and it makes sense to me, then there is no problem. But then, when it comes to things that I see and judge as trivial, it's like they are just not worth my time, kind of...

So what is laziness?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby mirjana » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:22 am

Sabina wrote:Mirjana,

It is not just the word "nothing"... what about the word "laziness"?

I know I am by many, incl. myself, often seen as a synonym for a non-lazy person, I do super-human things, etc., but when it comes to certain things, I am so very very lazy....

If I am working on something I like and want and it makes sense to me, then there is no problem. But then, when it comes to things that I see and judge as trivial, it's like they are just not worth my time, kind of...

So what is laziness?

When I tried to explain it to me, the problem was about other words that serve to such an explanation. You are lazy when the things are trivial? What is trivial to you, maybe it is crucial for somebody else and vice versa.
Some of answers given in the topic about Marks of the losers http://www.deepspirits.com/exploration/marks-of-a-loser-t602.html could be helpful for understanding different aspects of laziness and very personal understanding of this word. I like what anvilman4 has said:
“I think a loser is someone who knows what he/she should do, but then fails to do it. I guess to varying extents this applies to most people, but I find the more of what I do which I know I should do, the more satisfying and fulfilling my life becomes”
The opposite of these words explains much about laziness.
mirjana

Postby Sabina » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:35 am

Mirjana wrote:What is trivial to you, maybe it is crucial for somebody else and vice versa.

Well yes, of course, but obviously it is not about what all the people in the entire world consider as important, and it is also not about what all of them consider as trivial. Right?
So then whose opinion matters if not everybody's?
    Just mine?
    Or mine and my family's?
    Or mine, my family's and various others' that are close to me?
    Or just mine?
How do you see that? B0)

"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Postby mirjana » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:32 pm

What always primary matters is what you think about certain things. In that sense we also then have to be able to live with this personal choice regardless of things that matters for those around us. Rebellion in us is the personal aspect that defends us in such situations.
Laziness is when we know what we should do, but we always find the way not to do it. When it is not always, then it could even be productive period. But, when it is a permanent tendency, then it is a passivity that does bring anything good neither to the person nor to those around.
mirjana

Postby Agate » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:22 am

"Lazy" is a hot-button word for me. Growing up with a pair of perfectionist extroverts, any time I took refuge somewhere quiet to be alone, I was called lazy. (Be it added that I'm an extreme introvert.) When I took time to sit still and think, I was called lazy.

Much later in life, I figured out that it's a question of priority. To my parents, me being active and busy was of high priority. They did not see that my "laziness" was mandatory if I wanted to maintain good mental health.

I think that we have forgotten the value of rest. We've forgotten that the human body and mind MUST have downtime. Yes, extroverts tend to need a bit less, but without rest we cannot survive. Sadly, that nasty "L" word gets thrown around when we take the break we so desperately need. Where is the value in running until we break?
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Postby Daywhite » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:27 am

Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good. -- Soren Kierkegaard

Considered the father of Existentialism, Kierkegaard considered idleness an asset. I post this quote because, as the foundation of Existentialism is Man defining meaning for himself, I feel the same is true for laziness or idleness.

Society has a very narrow definition of laziness, basically one not working to contribute to the machine of society. Different societies will even differ on this. By the U.S.'s definition of lazy, most of the rest of the world would be seen as lazy. Here, laziness is seen as putting one's own rights and feelings ahead of those of the societal machine. "If you're not with us, you're against us" is the general view. Two weeks of vacation each year is seen as more than enough. Other countries will have their own views on this. I mention this because, even though you ask for an individual interpretation, so often, one's views are, at best, clouded, or even worse, defined, by those of one's society.

Personally, I see one who defines his entire belief system within the set parameters of a pre-defined space, as in one who wears intellectual blinders, only seeing what he wants to see, as much more lazy than one who prefers rest over physical labor. Laziness can be simply as an unwillingness to think for oneself or to question what may be offered. Often, one who asks questions is seen as lazy, others may say, "Just do what you're told. No questions asked." The phrase Arbeit macht frei, translated as Work Makes Free, or Work Will Set You Free was posted at the entrances to a number of Nazi concentration camps, including most famously Auschwitz I, where it was made by prisoners with metalwork skills and erected by order of the Nazis in June 1940. I mention this because it is fitting with how a society, a group, whatever, can define laziness, define what is good for an individual or a group. It will always be determined by what is best for the larger whole, the ruling, dictating class.

As Jenna Baddeley asks in her article The Laziness Myth "Are some people inherently lazy, or are they simply non-productive when the work that they are being asked to do is not meaningful, and is therefore poorly suited to help them meet their basic needs?" http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/embracing-the-dark-side/200903/the-laziness-myth Baddeley goes on to say when we see someone as being lazy, it's because they haven't done or have failed at doing something that "we" value. Meaning, we tag everyone with how we choose to define words, how we see life. Just as I may see someone as lazy who chooses to not think for himself, simply refusing to, because I value each individual doing so, he may see me as lazy because I refuse to spend my time doing something that is nonsensical to me.

There are times I feel I'm being lazy, defining the word always as a negative. But, I do feel I've gotten better as the years have passed. I've gotten to know my true self a little better, understanding it isn't always a good thing to simply do what others feel you should. I like the me I've become and hope to continue to do so as my life goes on. I won't die with the most toys, but I will do my best to live by my creed, defining life and success for myself. And if that definition continues to change as the years pass, then so much the better; nothing can never grow without change, so I welcome any changes my views or passions may have as I age. Some may call that lazy. As for me, hell, I don't know what I call it, but I like it. And knowing that makes me smile.

I'm Lazy
-- David White

I'm lazy. It's okay; I don't mind.
Sometimes, at night, about to fall asleep,
I don't want to brush my teeth; I just want to sleep.
Sometimes, when I have to take a crap,
I just don't want to. Like Bartleby,
I would prefer not to. Too much effort, maybe.
Even if I read while in there,
the thought of it just seems too much.

I'm lazy, lazy like an old hound on a hot summer day.
All he does is lie in the shade of an old pick-up, sleeping
the day away.
All around him people work
through the day, sweating and cussing.
Stepping inside for lunch, they see him lying there,
not a care in the world.
"Damn dog, ain't worth shit."
They spit and go in for lunch.

But that's the same dog
they call to find a lost girl
no one can find.
The same dog that went
all day and all night,
through woods, streams and briers, with no thought
but to find the girl. And he did.
Because he never doubted he would.
Because doubt is for crazy people,
people who work all day in the sun
when it's much cooler and comfortable
in the shade of an old pick-up.
He found the girl, and,
when he was through,
he got some food and water, and,
with nothing else to do,
he went to sleep in the shade
of an old pick-up, just a
no account, lazy mutt.

Yeah, I'm lazy, but
I'm not crazy.
If you were ever lost, I would
search until I found you,
unable to tell the difference
between night and day, heat and cold,
only conscious of your absence.
And, after I found you,
we could eat and drink
before curling up together
in the shade of an old pick-up.
I guess I'm just lazy that way.
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby Agate » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:07 am

""Are some people inherently lazy, or are they simply non-productive when the work that they are being asked to do is not meaningful, and is therefore poorly suited to help them meet their basic needs?" "

Excellent point! Consider my friend Eagle. He graduated from high school by the skin of his teeth-- 1.2 GPA. He cut class more often than not and (obviously) seldom bothered to turn in homework. By most definitions, Eagle was a "lazy" student.

The thing is, most of the time he was cutting high school classes to go to the local public library...where he helped himself to college+ level physics books. Tagged as lazy and underachiever, Eagle simply did not deign to do work that was not meaningful to him. But when you got talking to him, you found sheer brilliance. Once a librarian asked him what school he attended, assuming he was in college!

I've seen similar things happen in other situations; brilliant people who were tagged as stupid or lazy simply because the system did not work for them. Sadly, the American educational system is geared towards conformity, with little room to really develop students' strengths. Eagle was taking the highest level of science available at his school, but was as far beyond it as I am from struggling to remember the ABC song. So of course the class was useless to him...and by extension all school became useless.

Just glancing at his life, some might still call Eagle lazy. He lives with his parents still and has managed to drop out of college several times with nary a degree. But ask him what's going on, mention Scouts or any of the other organizations he's involved with, and you find yourself wondering when the man sleeps! No, he has not achieved many of the markers of success as defined by American society. Some people equate that with lazy.

And that, my friends, is a crock.

Eagle doesn't give a rat's backside about most of the societal markers of success. Few of them have any meaning to him, so why should he push to achieve them? From where I sit, that's not lazy, that's just smart!
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Postby IsonaliAki » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 pm

What is laziness? My personal opinion is that it's an abstract and essentially meaningless, derogatory term in almost every situation that it is used. Throughout my life, "lazy" has never particularly been used in a positive or enriching way. It is one of those words that I would term "sociataly negativized" (wow my spell-check REALLY hates me posting on this board). Meaning, basically, that society has chosen, by in large, to make something into a term of harassment proportions. Perhaps it is because my mind is ever-going, but I am very aware that someone who may be lounging on a recliner could, indeed, be working MUCH harder than I am working by vacuuming under their feet.

Not sure how much I actually contributed there LOL but, well, the word drives me berserk.
Dave
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry
And has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams
IsonaliAki

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 3

Next

Return to Spirited Debate