Just a simple question

Exercise your mind through 'what if' scenarios, moral
dilemmas, brain teasers & other playful ways.

Just a simple question

Postby mirjana » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:00 pm

Imagine that you have two cups. One is filled with your deeds that contributed to the happiness of others.
The other is one is filled with deeds of others who contributed to your happiness?-

When you look at your two cups, which one makes you feel happier in this very moment?

Just take a moment of awareness for both cups. That´s all.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: Just a simple question

Postby Sabina » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Well, both cups are beautiful, but the one filled with my deeds that contributed to the happiness of others would definitely make me more happy. At this moment or at any moment.
It's like when celebrating Christmas or Bruma (Winter solstice), I can't wait to give the gifts I have prepared for others. Receiving them is wonderful as well, but that was far more exciting when I was a child. Now it's the other way around.

mirjana wrote:Just take a moment of awareness for both cups. That´s all.

Hmm.. so I shouldn't have answered it? 80S
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby dermot » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:23 pm

Actually in this moment..........i place greater interest in the cup filled with the deeds of others who contributed to my happiness.
This really has to do with where i am in my life right now.....and would not normally be how i would answer this question.
Interesting........
d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby Sabina » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:38 pm

dermot wrote:This really has to do with where i am in my life right now.....and would not normally be how i would answer this question.

Makes sense Dermot... Yet another reminder of life's many grays. Some things are white, some are black, but mostly it is one large gray zone. The right answer today can be the wrong answer tomorrow (according to the same person).
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby dermot » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:51 pm

Keeping an open mind seems to be key Sabina?........that gives us choices, we should always have choices. Painting oneself into a corner and being unable to get out because of our own black and white thinking is to restrictive and self limiting. Colour is fun B0)
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby Rachel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:21 pm

I think I view my two cups as giving me equal amounts of joy. Interesting to ponder though.
Rachel

Favorite book: The Last Battle - C.S.Lewis
Favorite movie: Dogma
Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 3

Postby mirjana » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:48 pm

mirjana wrote:...
Just take a moment of awareness for both cups. That´s all.

=0@ This last sentence was not the best formulation, Sabina is right. =0/
Otherwise this topic would be without answers. Instead, there have been already many interesting answers.
As about me, I am very happy when I can contribute to other people´s happiness. I even used to think that it is my dominant nature. =0@ In fact, I have also always been very aware when somebody would give me attention, care and love and was very gratefulfor that. With maturity, I am less aware of my deeds and more of those who are there for me. It seems that true gratitude for gifts of happiness that I have been getting in my life from people who loves me and care for me gives me not only enormous joy but is the best motivation to nurture this aspect of my nature as well.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Return to Imagination Exercises