Jiaogulan - Herb of Immortality

Discuss natural remedies, the knowledge of herbs,
magic potions and strengthening brews.

Jiaogulan - Herb of Immortality

Postby Sabina » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Jiaogulan
The Herb of Immortality
Gynostemma pentaphyllum

The reason Jiaogulan has such a mysterious name is because the people from the Guizhou Province, who traditionally and regularly drink Jiaogulan tea, are said to have a history of extra-ordinarily long life.
In English Jiaogulan is also called Five-leaf Ginseng, Miracle Grass, Fairy Herb or Southern Ginseng.

It is a hardy vine and grows easily, almost like a weed. The leaves taste great, they can be eaten fresh off the plant, put in salad or stored for tea.
Why this is not a common household plant is a mystery to me. Everyone should have one.
On the internet it is mainly sold in form of pills, but why take pills, when using fresh leaves is the real thing?

How does Jiaogulan look?

What does Jiaogulan do?
The Health Benefits

This is an impressive list, if I ever saw one. The miracle of Jiaogulan seems to consist of its ability to balance. If it's too low, let's raise it, if it's too high, let's lower it.

Cholesterol
Jiaogulan assists the regulation of serum cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL (bad cholesterol), and HDL (good cholesterol, which helps to metabolize cholesterol from the arteries).

Blood Pressure
Jiaogulan helps maintain healthy blood pressure levels. It directly improves the metabolism of the heart as well as enhances the release of nitric oxide in the body, which helps relax the coronary blood vessels.

Digestion
While Jiaogulan is great for regulating cholesterol, it also assists a good weight loss program, by improving and strengthening digestion. At the same time, it helps an underweight person by assisting the absorption of nutrients.

Strength and Endurance
Jiaogulan can enhance the contractility of the heart muscle and heart pumping function. The saponins in Jiaogulan increase strength and endurance in the body.

Immunity
Jiaogulan has also demonstrated an ability to support the immune system when under the siege of various destructive agents. It is also a potent immune modulator. It increases the production of Lymphocytes, Phagocytes, and Serum IGG.

Adaptogenic Properties
Jiaogulan has a biphasic effect on brain functions, energizing or calming the system depending upon need, as well as on the regulation of hormonal functions in both men and women.

Antioxidant Properties
Jiaogulan has powerful antioxidant qualities that protect against free radical damage.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

My Jiaogulan and how I use it

Postby mirjana » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:35 pm

Sabina, it is great that you brought this herb to us. =0)
I also love it and use it a lot over the summer.
It is a beautiful plant that grows incredibly fast during spring and summer and decorates one of our house’s colons in the garden. Nicely exposed to sun it doesn't only give us new, fresh and healing touch over summer, but it looks very nice too.
We use it as a summer drink, mostly chilled, as a tea and in salads.

Jiaogulan in water
Each day I put leaves of Jiaogulan in the jug of water and keep it as long as we drink it, changing leaves each time when I pour fresh water. I do the same with Menthe leaves. It is also great served chilled. Make a pot in the morning and place it in the refrigerator to enjoy all day long in the hot season.

Jiaogulan Tea (balances blood pressure and helps by smoking addiction)
Boil pure water (avoid tap water) and infuse fresh Jiaogulan leaf.
Use 1 teaspoon of Jiaogulan for a cup (250ml).
Infuse the leaf for about 3 to 5 minutes.

Jiaogulan has a delicate flavor. The chemistry of the tap water destroys it, which is why it is recommended to use pure or spring water. The beauty of Jiaogulan is that it does not get bitter after infusion. The longer it sits, the sweeter it gets.

Jiaogulan in Salad

There is no salad which will not be more attractive and tasty if you put fresh Jiaogulan leaves at the end over it. I use it all the summer.

Mirjana
=0)
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Gifts of Nature