It's up to you... or is it?

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: It's up to you... or is it?

Postby ThePermster » Tue May 25, 2010 5:54 pm

I subscribe to a similar thought as what Sabina mentioned in her first post except with a more philosophical approach.
It's best put by the contemporary compatibilist philosopher Dennett I think; who essentially says that determinism and causality are not one and the same thing. Ergo whilst all your decisions from now until forever are entirely predetermined, the choices inherent to the decisions still existed.

He also says that the individual should not desire for the more traditional idea of undetermined free-will because it changes nothing of his compatibilist philosophy other than to obfuscate it. His compatibilism allows for determinism and free-will and considering the way we inherently experience the dimension of time the idea does not effect that free-will in any way existentially, i.e. determinism isn't your enemy.

Also you should look into cold-reading. I'm sure you're probably familiar with the precept but even to people aware of the practice its productions can still be exceptionally compelling.

There are some concerns herein about sentience as well I think, some of the reasons why cold-reading can appear so truthful is because of how formulaic people can be and how a general lack of wisdom and sapience can lead to a person being a product of nothing more than their inherent and instinctual ways, i.e. a very typically human.
Now this isn't me passing criticism and derision upon you Metatron, all I'm saying is that it's a possibility that you may indeed be living a formulaic and what I call a pseudo-sentient life. Now that's not for me to say and I'm in no position to consider the validity of that possibility so please don't take that as any form of condescension from me but it's certainly a valid possibility for your own personal reflection, if it turns out to be false than brilliant if otherwise then change would probably be in order.

For some kind of context as to what I mean by "pseudo-sentience" I should explain that I run under the assumption that mainstream thought is incorrect in its apparent assumption that human beings are inherently sentient or sapient in any way. It is my belief that human nature is something that is to be risen above in order to consciously acquire sentience and by extension the ability for meaningful choice. I also believe the opposite of mainstream thought and hence run under the assumption that in fact only the extreme dizzying minority of people are noticeably beyond the other animals on the planet (an idea which is alluded to by the Louis Mackey excerpt posted in another thread "Fear Or Laziness", it puts the idea very succinctly, I recommend the clip if you haven't seen it as of yet). There's some thought on extension from this idea that may be of use to you so if you're interested in what previous thinking has been famously said on the subject or what other personal thought I have in my meagre mind then by all means asks, it's all a bit disjointed and non-collected in the world of philosophy though so you won't find any specific denomination or movement dedicated to it but there is much thought and even much scientific study that would support the application of such thought to the general population. A good example, if you want your mind blown, is - if you haven't already - check out bicameralism theory in psychology.
ThePermster

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Postby Sabina » Tue May 25, 2010 6:24 pm

ThePermster wrote:I subscribe to a similar thought as what Sabina mentioned in her first post except with a more philosophical approach.

The best things are those that can be explained from several, completely different angles.

ThePermster wrote:Also you should look into cold-reading. I'm sure you're probably familiar with the precept but even to people aware of the practice its productions can still be exceptionally compelling.

I am familiar with cold-reading as well as how widely it, and similar forms, such as warm or hot reading, are spread. No worries. :)
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby ThePermster » Wed May 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Sabina wrote:I am familiar with cold-reading as well as how widely it, and similar forms, such as warm or hot reading, are spread. No worries. :)

Sorry that part was directed at Metatron as he seemed to be the one seeing something convincing in the practice.

I should probably point out that my reference to reading techniques of course comes inherit with a presumption of scepticism or disbelief too. Just thought I'd say; this seems like a community that is open to the possibilities of those precepts so I don't want to go stepping on any toes. =]
ThePermster

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Previous

Return to Spirited Debate