Istria - Terra Magica

By Mirjana

Istria - Terra Magica

Postby mirjana » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:34 pm

Istria and Porec

Introduction

The whole three videos I consider as an introduction to that what I shall write as my personal impressions and experiences in Istria .

These are some pictures of Istria, which is the north part of Croatian cost. I wanted you first to get a little impression about the region as the town where I live a good part of the year is Porec, in Istria.

Here you can see the position of Porec on the map of Istria. Italian name for Porec is Parenzo.

This video provides some basic information about Porec.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Asparagus Fritaja

Postby mirjana » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:30 pm

April and May are months for Asparagus dishes. In every restaurant in Porec you can order some of national specialties prepared with this vegetable.
This is an Istria specialty. It grows wild and the picking season is spring. It is prepared with eggs, olive oil and is used alone or as a supplement to other dishes.
Today I prepared Asparagus Fritaja for our lunch. Fritaja is an Istria word for scrambled eggs.

Ingredients for three persons

Handful of self picked wild Asparagus.
Coffee cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 eggs

Wash asparagus under the cold water. Cut it at the place where it is easy to do it with hands, mostly the down third is not for use.
Put olive oil in a sauté pan together with asparagus and simmer it for 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs and stir until all is well mixed. Serve immediately with homemade bread and crème fraiche.
I served aside homemade olives in olive oil.
We drink white wine with this.The beauty is that this white wine is also bought in the neighborhood from the family that made it from their wine yard.

Today it has been nice and sunny day and we had our lunch on our terrace.
mirjana

Re: Istria and Porec

Postby HGolightly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:41 pm

Mirjana,

I enjoyed watching the videos of Istria and Porec! It looks like a beautiful place!! A nice added touch with your including a "recipe" at the end, for the Asparagus Fritaja!! And, l love asparagus, so this will be nice for me to try out; especially, since it's an easy dish to prepare!

<3
Holly
HGolightly

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Postby mirjana » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:36 pm

I am glad you like it. Istria is called Terra Magica between Italians. It originates from Romans who named it like that first. Istria was well known as as a natural beauty to the Republic of Venice and to Habsburgs of Austria. There are many traces of both cultures here in architecture, art and commune servises' organization.
Istria is known as a green Mediterranean and the Mediterranean closest to central Europe.
As it is traversed by the 45th parallel it underlines its idyllic geographic position with four equally lasting seasons, green springs and red autumns, pleasant summers and mild winters...It has 537 km long coast with many bays, peninsulas and islets. clean sea water, lot of green along the coast and in the interior, long and well known wine and gastronomic tradition.
It has a very specific sharm and with people from all over the world who live here and feel at home.
mirjana

Postby mirjana » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:56 pm

This is short slide of Porec in made last year in April. This April it has the same look and atmosphere.
Enjoy it with my greetings from Porec =0)

mirjana

Postby HGolightly » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Mirjana, thank you for this posting! Porec is absolutely lovely!! I definitely can see the Italiano influence within your city - love it. I am certain that I would feel right at home there. It absolutely reminds me of a village called, "Alghero" (meaning, Seaweeds) that's of Spanish origins on the island of Sardegna. Although, I don't believe it has four seasons as that of Porec.

I will have to set voyage to your city in the not so distant future! I'll definitely be adding this to my "bucket list" of things to experience.
<3 Holly
HGolightly

Re: Istria - Terra Magica

Postby mirjana » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:14 pm

Yes, Holly, you are right. Porec and whole Istria have a touch of Italian architecture, atmosphere, cuisine, music...I used to live in Italy for one year during my study and I loved every minute there.
Italy is my weakness and that is why I also feel great here. Italian is second language here, beside Croatian, and I am familiar with both, so again at home. 80S
I do hope and it would be wonderful to see you here. I do not doubt that you would enjoy it. Our house is big and comfortable and you are welcome <3
mirjana

Postby HGolightly » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Mirjana,
Do you speak Italiano? Like you, Italia is my weakness as well! I was stationed in southern Italy for (Brindisi) about a year and a half, and ever since, have been going back for visits. I imagine it must have been a fabulous experience to be a student in Italy! Where did you study?
Thank you for the extended invitation, that is very kind! And, one that I will take under serious consideration.
<3
HGolightly

Postby mirjana » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:44 pm

Yes, I do speak Italian. During my study I spent one month in Perugia as a student. Later, with my husband, we both had post graduate study in San Donato Milanese. During that year we have visited the whole Italy and we have wonderful memories from that time.
I love Italian music; I love their sense for beauty and their joyful spirit. During our staying there and when we would go out with our friends, it was amazing how spontaneously people that didn't know each other would create the atmosphere of improvised music and singing. That corresponds very much to my nature.
It would be really great if you take my invitation under serious consideration. =0)
mirjana

Postby HGolightly » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:38 pm

Mirjana, you took the words right out of my mouth in saying "it was amazing how spontaneously people that didn't know each other would create the atmosphere of improvised music and singing. That corresponds very much to my nature." One of the many reasons I love Italian culture. In fact, it brings to light the very essence of my inner self, and I love how I feel when I am there. I've always felt European at heart. Considering my great grandparents' were immigrants from across the pond. Undoubtedly, that would imply that I am European at heart!! Big smiles

I just finished taking a basic Italian class, and the instructor was very enthusiastic in sharing his stories of studying Italian History & Culture while attending the University in Perugia. What a lovely experience to have studied in Italy!!

"with my husband, we both had post graduate study in San Donato Milanese. During that year we have visited the whole Italy and we have wonderful memories from that time."

How romantic! <3

Holly
HGolightly

Next

Return to Somewhere in Between