Is Courage Inherited

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Is Courage Inherited

Postby Sabina » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Is courage a trait we inherit or is it based on the way one is raised or what exactly?
What is your opinion?
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Is Courage Inherited

Postby mirjana » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:14 am

Interesting question Sabina.
One of definition of courage is that it is the ability to control fear when facing danger or pain, ability to show bravery in defending personal convictions, or simply to be brave to do what you feel to be right. In that sense it is a quality of character to act appropriately.
I think that we all have this potential that can be influence to flourish or to stay undeveloped depending of that where and around whom one is growing. In that sense it is not inherited but it can be inspired or even learned by examples. It is easier for one child to develop as a courageous person if within the community where the child lives this has been shown as a natural and spontaneous reaction of the character. It becomes then a manifestation of that how one life the life, showing by example the harmony between words and deeds.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Ryan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:50 am

=0/
That's a weird question... I have no idea... Is personality genetic? Or what?

Courage... I think courage is the result of one's experiences... probably not in only one life... I think the major portion of one's personality is the result of lives' experiences but science can't prove reincarnation so maybe they attribute personality to genes because that is all they have left... I do not know...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby ubermensch » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:41 pm

Interesting. I kind of imagine courage as a blend of good emotional traits , as if courage is made up of sympathetic , unselfish , considerate , affectionate , appreciative , conscientious type emotions that all belong inside one person in order to have a courageous response to a given situation. Which is why I think a courageous act is so revealing about a persons character, much in the same way a cowardice act might represent something entirely different using an opposite blend of emotional traits than the ones i listed above. So courage to me is something that is learned through out a lifetime , I suppose someone could learn to be courageous after learning to be cowardly and vice versa.
The more I give to consciousness/awareness , the more consciousness gives to me . .... ....
ubermensch

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Hitlers War David Irving
Favorite movie: The Game
Things I like: reading , learning , yoga ,chess and chess problems , lifting weights, becoming a better person physically and mentally , meditation, world religions
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 6

Return to Psychology