Internal pulse

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Internal pulse

Postby Kris » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Every person has an internal pulse. Good musicians are very aware of this.. Our heart beats rhythmically. Slow at times and fast at times but always consistent. Breathing is an internal rhythm Hiccups are the diaphragm getting out of sinc with the body. Unborn children spend the first nine months in the womb hearing the mother’s heart beat. We even walk rhythmically.

A musical performance can include wrong notes occasionally and it is forgivable to the listener. It is a moment in time that is forgotten quickly as the music moves forward.
BUT one rhythm mistake and even when corrected will stick with the listener through the whole piece. The audience has identified subconsciously with that rhythm. It is an internal pulse, to disrupt that pulse is like a case of the hiccups. The listener doesn’t realize what is off about the music. He subconsciously expects that beat to hit at a certain time and when one or two beats is off, even a split second, it is disconcerting . The listener will not know why. It is part of his subconscious.

A big part of my piano teaching studio is preparing and taking students to competitions and auditions. When a student is learning a new piece, especially for competition, I caution them not to memorize until I determine the piece is being learned correctly. I am not worried about memorizing wrong notes, hand position, technic, articulation etc.Those can all be corrected. I worry most about rhythm mistakes because once memorized incorrectly it is hardest to fix. The rhythm (and rhtym mistake) become a part of the student.

It is also a terrible habit for a student to miss a note and “hunt” for the correct one disrupting the steady rhythmic flow.

When students compete, they can play a wrong note and it will not cost them much but when a student does not handle the tempo well, it will cost them the competition or audition.

Steady rhythmic pulse is the single most important aspect of musical performance.

Also, when a child is perceived to be musically talented, the lay person believes it is the way the fingers move or the velocity of the playing . In reality, for those of us who work with talented children, the talent is in the internal sense of rhythm. . The students who come to me and are identified as musically gifted are the ones who have an early ability to handle complicated rhythm patterns. And a steady internal pulse.

Somewhere there is a life lesson in all of this.....I havn’t figured it out yet. Any thoughts?

K
Kris

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 5

Re: Internal pulse

Postby Sabina » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:07 am

Kris wrote:Somewhere there is a life lesson in all of this.....I havn’t figured it out yet.

I love that sentence...
Recognizing of importance before you are aware of what exactly the importance is. :)

Thoughts...

"Just keep swimming!" comes to mind, in the sense of keeping the rhythm of life, the natural flow of things. Not to despair if you play a wrong note occasionally, but keep a steady rhythm forward - straight ahead!

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:33 am

This question is a string that will lead you to the answer. Being open brought you to awareness about the situation. Question is the result of active presence and openness to find the way. Answer is direction.
It will come; stay open ...Who asks, gets answers.

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:07 pm

Yes Mirjana.
She asked, she stayed open, I answered. Case closed.

=0@

80S

Alvino, in case you read this post, it is meant as a joke. ;0)
I just couldn't resist.

Sabina
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby mirjana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi Sabina,

I understand. The reason I repeated in my words your thought was of the same kind as the reason of the poet to express his/her feeling about the beauty of dawn, in spite the fact that many other poets have already done that.
I am the one who insists very much on the chain of thoughts...well sometimes repetitions brings us further just because of that fact that something was underlined. =0) Just a thought...

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby Heidi » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:17 pm

I think Kris is right referring to our internal pulse.

Whether we are musical or not, we all have our internal rhythm, and I think that is the reason why we may be miserable at school or at work when the pace required is a lot faster or a lot slower.
Heidi

State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 17

Postby pineal » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:28 am

The Rhythm of Life
Incessant throbbing of pulse
Vibration Divine

Living orchestra
Ever tuning to perfection
Guided by spirit

-Pineal
pineal

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 3

Postby mirjana » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:02 am

It is not only that we all have internal pulse, but we are all born with few specific talents. Unfortunately our society and parents as well concentrate more on the weakness than on the strengths. Instead to work to improve weakness(like giving instructions in Latin if the child has this problem in school) we should concentrate to support the strength, which could make a great piano player, or painter or something like that, depending what the strength is.
We should watch our children and us self when and where we playfully express our talents. When we do that, we express our true nature, actually our purpose.

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby Sabina » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:27 am

"When we pay attention to nature's music,
we find that everything on the Earth contributes to its harmony."

~ Hazrat Inayat Khan

__11__

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul."

~ Plato
Sabina

Postby Leahann » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:29 pm

Kris,

This is the first thread Randall shared with me and it happens to be one of my passions in a certain manner.

I Love Music, and while I've never been more then an average musician I hear and feel music in a manner that I believe is more than most as I can pick out of an orchestra each section, tell you what instrument it is and if they are missing a beat, or off key or missed a note...what rhythm they are playing in conjunction with the rest of the instruments etc...music moves me.

As an adult I discovered that energy, all energy has a sound, a vibration or rhythm and color of its own, and that all things then have these qualities which makes the statement from August Rush so true..."The music is all around us".

My instrument of choice during my school years was the trumpet and while playing with a band, it is painfully obvious when any one of us was the least bit out of tune, or missing a beat...and if just one trumpet missed a beat (rhythm) the entire band would be effected by it...it could and has many times disrupted an entire piece of music.

I think playing in a band with over 100 people in it playing various instruments was probably one of the most enlightening things in my youth, and later in life as I began to understand the significance of how the tones and rhythms effect each person in such a dramatic manner...and not just people but nature responds to these things as well...plants will grow well with certain music and wilt and die with other types of music.

So it is this very rhythm that we live by, and it is what we respond to in life...the vibration of life...and while we can not feel it or hear it with our ears for the most part it effects our lives all the time.

For example, when we look at energy as a vibration, tone and color we realize that all that surrounds us effects us as we simply by being effect that which surrounds us...thus if one is in an environment that has a vibration or energy that does not support their personal vibration or the pulse of their lives, it shows in their abilities to learn, pattern, relax...become engaged etc.

In a very real way, when a person learns to play an instrument, whether a piano or the drums they are assisting themselves in developing pathways within the brain that will assist them in their everyday lives by helping the brain learn, be clear of thought, organize etc.

Music will alter our moods and clarity of mind, as well as allow us to examine an emotion more clearly...it is within the tones and rhythms of the music that allow's us to access these area's of our being.

Of course on the negative tone...lol...there is music that confuses the mind, and allow's for and supports anger/rage, depression etc.

Kris you are seeing this in children, and if you look further my bet is that a child that comes in for the first time and is seemingly without rhythm at first and learns to hear and feel this will in fact begin to have improved grades at school, be more engaged in life etc.

OK...I've written a book and have not touched on many things...I like that you brought this up.

Leahann
Leahann

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 2

Next

Return to Psychology