Inertia!

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Inertia!

Postby Sabina » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:16 am

Inertia drives me crazy!

We talked about laziness from time to time... and while there are some attempts at redefining the word and the symbolism and meaning of laziness, what is inertia?

Dictionary wrote:inertia -noun
disinclination to move; lifelessness

Synonyms
apathy, deadness, drowsiness, dullness, idleness, immobility, immobilization, inactivity, indolence, languor, lassitude, laziness, lethargy, listlessness, oscitancy, paralysis, passivity, sloth, sluggishness, stillness, stupor, torpidity, torpor, unresponsiveness

Apathy... lifelessness... sloth... passivity... laziness... deadness...!!!

So much for clarification.
Now the question.

Why, why, why do some people choose to die while they still breathe???
WHY?
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Inertia!

Postby mirjana » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:31 am

Sabina wrote:...
Why, why, why do some people choose to die while they still breathe???
WHY?

Good question.
Inertia is not the only way when people choose to die although still breathing.
The attraction of death seems to be the reason that people do many things that definitely shorten their life. Or maybe that dancing at the edge of death makes them feel life more strongly...
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Agate » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:35 am

Sometimes it feels safer to stay put. Or an outside force/event stopped you in your tracks, you see no clear way past, so you just stay still. After a while it gets to feel safe. If nothing else, it's a known state. Moving = change and change is often frightening.

Then again, inertial could be in the eye of the beholder. I may see Jane Doe as inert, living a life of cube farms and carpools, but she may be quite happy there. Though I could never life that life, it's good for her. While I see a woman in a state of inertia, she may see herself as making quiet progress toward goals of a long and pleasant retirement. To her mind, she's moving.
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Postby Ryan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:17 am

Yes... I'm going to have to go with... it feels safer... more secure in the sense that there isn't anything unexpected... I know people with autism generally need a routine life because otherwise they don't know how to handle that which is outside of their scheduled existence... certainly they can be taught how to deal with a new event... but it takes time and so it then becomes part of the routine as well... removing it then becomes something new to deal with...

I think it is the same for other people... for whatever reason... maybe a lesser form of autism... maybe out of fear... maybe there is just nothing in their surroundings that provoke them into "action"... or sadder yet, maybe they have never really experienced anything to the point that they understand why they should "do something"...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby dermot » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Inertia must be a choice, because it really doesnt exist in nature or the animal kingdom...as far as i know.
Im sure there are lots of reasons why somebody would embrace that state (non state) of mind, all of them are negative states..they have to be.

Does anyone think life is about reaching the end of the road safely, without crossing it, without wondering whats over the horizon, without asking where the road leads, of if there is another way?
Are we supposed to age year by year, charting movement by looking safely backwards at distance travelled, marking birthdays as the major achievements, looking forward to when we can come to a full stop as opposed to a crawl.
Cut your hair to a sensible short style if your a woman nearing 40 automatically, start wearing cardigans if you are a man near 40, 5 hours tv per night, bingo anyone?

Shoot me NOW!!!
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby Sabina » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Safety... padded rooms are safe, I think. Spending life in a padded room seems like a nice safe way to exist.
And if a person who lives in a padded room says that they are not happy (so it's not my conclusion, but their own), and they wish their life was different, but they still stay in the padded room, where nothing ever touches them, and everything is nice and safe and boring or simply depressing, then that is incredibly inert, and I can say that it is inertia.

Life is not meant to be safe, it is meant to be an adventure.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Return to Psychology