Inception (2010)

Visual communication and a modern art form.
Movie tips, inspiring animations and associations.

Inception (2010)

Postby Sabina » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Image Last night we (Daywhite, Ryan and I) watched "Inception" in the cinema.
Before anything else, I would like to warmly recommend that you do not watch any trailers and so spoil your movie experience in the slightest! This opening post will not contain any spoilers, but bear in mind that the replies might.

Inception is currently rated 9.2 out of 10, based on over 120.000 votes. That is quite an average vote, so I was really curious.
A look at the top 250 movies shows that the top 3 movies all have the same rating, so according to the general vote, it is one of the 3 best movies of all time.

The music is composed by Hans Zimmer, and he did really well this time, because I didn't recognize that he was the composer (and in most cases I can tell). Here is a music sample:
Without giving too much away, the movie is about dreams and it is set in the future. It looks like it could be next year for all I know.
Dreams are one of the most fascinating subjects I can think of, an immensely powerful playground. There have been various attempts of "dream movies" in the past, and while the topic is indefinite, it is still so easy to get caught up in cheese when making a dream movie.
One of the better dream oldies was Dreamscape (1984), with Dennis Quaid, Max von Sydow, and Christopher Plummer, especially considering that it was made in the 80s.
Other attempts include What Dreams May Come (dreams and afterlife), Requiem for a Dream (dreams and drugs), The Cell (dreams and psychology), and of course Waking Life, which is, at least for me, in a category of its own.

Inception was written and directed by Christopher Nolan, the writer and director of Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Prestige and Memento. As far as I am concerned Inception is his crowning achievement.
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Inception (2010)

Postby Ryan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:08 pm

I enjoyed the movie immensely. I think it was wonderfully done and a nice bit of thought put into the details... which I appreciate.

The movie is rather fast paced... there is hardly any "slow" moments. You are almost constantly being bombarded with information, thought processes, and psychological analyses. Which was great! The movie's run time, being almost 2.5 hours, actually felt about like 1.75 hours instead due to its constant forward movement.

I gave a personal rating of 8... and I think my rating fell short of a 9, or higher, simply because of the size of the screen (I couldn't take everything in) and that the upper area of the screen seemed a bit too dark... whether the movie was actually created like that or it was due to the screen and project position... or what exactly... I do not know. But! I am looking forward to viewing it on Blu-ray at home... It is very possible that it gets a much higher rating then... I definitely don't think it would be worse.

Anyway... a wonderfully made, well thought out sci-fi movie... In my personal opinion!

For those who dislike action movies, have Attention Deficit Disorder or just have a common difficulty of tuning into things or submersing themselves into a movie... it might not be a movie for you. It is really fast paced and if you miss too much you will be completely lost and the movie will seem a jumbled mess that makes no sense.

[El] [El]
(to borrow the coined phrase)
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Thank you guys for this recommendation! The way you presented it triggered my curiosity to the highest and I shall see it for sure.
Sabina I enjoyed your general information that didn’t say anything specific about the movie, but still telling much about the whole about it so that one can really become interested in seeing it.
Ryan, your words at the end of your post, "those who dislike action movies, have Attention Deficit Disorder or just have a common difficulty of tuning into things or submersing themselves into a movie..." made me laugh.
Nice psychological analysis. 80S
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby dermot » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:33 am

I went to see Inception recently, it totally captivated me whilst leaving me struggling to keep up with its many twists and turns. Its incredibly fast paced and involved, just when you think you have found the plot....it spins away in another direction.

Its being marketed as a movie you are going to need to see twice, and i can see why.

Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 100% rating, achieved by only one other movie as far as i know?

d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby ThePermster » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:37 pm

Loved it. I think it's great that a director like Nolan hasn't simply stagnated after his first great success like so many before him and has in fact gotten stronger and even greater with every successive release! Ever since Batman Begins he's definitely been on my directors/writers-to-watch list.

I've gotta concur with Ryan that this film just doesn't stop! Often it's said that the greatest power of any action thriller is to have you constantly on the edge of your seat but I'm not sure about that any more 'cause I couldn't sit down at all it was that gripping!

Anyone noticed how in the last few Nolan films the musical score just doesn't settle down? Even through the heart-warming or gentle character development moments it's still going in the background, hinting like there's a bomb around every corner.
It makes me wish I'd taken some kind of cinematography class so that I could identify all the other subtle (or not so subtle) nuances Nolan used to keep his audience so engrossed!

One criticism I could make of the film though, which I actually needed to be pointed out to me by a friend before I noticed it, was that even though it takes place in dreams, much of the things that occur just aren't fantastical enough. Yes they definitely have that fitting aspect of surrealism but just not enough to be like actual dreams.
But that's really just a criticism of the artistic license that the film pulls and it's so nit-picky that I even regret it's mention!

Personally I still prefer Dark Knight too, but that's only because I prefer the order/chaos dichotomy over the dream, subconscious thing. And that's not really a testament to either film's worth because they're both just great, just just great, damn great.
ThePermster

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Return to Movies