Impeccable with Words

Not just for linguists and logophiles (word lovers)
The exploring, discovering and discussing of words, language & communication from different perspectives.

Impeccable with Words

Postby Sabina » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:32 pm

While researching the word "word" I came across this article Your Word: How Powerful!

Jacqui Neurauter wrote:In his book The Four Agreements, Don Miguel Ruiz asks us to be "impeccable with our word." The root of impeccable is the Latin peccare, meaning “sin”; impeccable means “without sin.” This refers not only to what we do against others but what we do against ourselves in the form of judgment, blame, guilt or self-rejection. Could this be the root of what is referred to as "evil" in the world?

For me this was an interesting question, especially as I do agree that being impeccable with words is very important, in the same way as it is important to use any tool well. If you don't use a tool well enough, you can hurt yourself and others... :)
It's common sense actually.

However, I haven't elaborated on the concept to the point of it being the root of what is referred to (nicely worded) as "evil" in the world.

What are your thoughts?

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Impeccable with Words

Postby mirjana » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Talking about what a reference to a certain word is quite a tricky thing, as words themselves are that.
Look at the word Lucifer.
In Milton's Paradise Lost Satan is also called Lucifer, on his way to bring about the downfall of Adam.
Lucifer is a Latin word that means "light-bearer". In Latin language it is used as a name for the appearance of the planet Venus at dawn, heralding daylight, although a more common expression is "Day Star" or "Morning Star".
And, although the name Lucifer is not applied in the New Testament in reference to Satan and in the old Testament it was also in use in reference to the Morning Star, in the post-New testament and over the time it became quite a common word for Satan.
And what we have is that people gave a very nice word to something which is not that at all. Or, is it a way to express symbolically that light will not be possible to see if not being aware of darkness?
I do not know, but it is interesting...

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Words & Language