I'm Full of Beans!

By Agate

I'm Full of Beans!

Postby Agate » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:48 pm

And I do mean that title literally. You see, I'm a fledgling vegetarian...and yeah. I've been eating a LOT of beans lately. (Part of that is due to my budget and that fact that beans are about as cheap as the dirt they grow in, but I digress!)

So...yeah. I haven't told many people about this yet because I know the reaction I'm going to get. Pretty much everyone in my circle is likely to go "Mmmhmm. Okay, she's got another bee in her bonnet. Let's see how long this one lasts." With most of them the over and under would probably be around 3 weeks before I cave in and pig out on pork.

No. Not gonna happen. This feels so right, as if for the first time ever I'm fully on the right path. I've gotten close before, but never before has everything felt so totally in alignment.

The idea of going vegetarian has been subtly simmering in the back of my mind for years now. A few days I kind of at random Googled "beginning vegetarian" and started wandering through websites. The more I saw, the more right it felt. Yeah, this is what I need to do, this is what I need to be.

The weird part is that every beginner site I saw recommended a gradual transition period from omnivore to herbivore. Initially that was my plan. But somewhere along the line, there was a sensation of something clicking and I realized that I didn't need to make a slow shift. In that one click my mind made the leap that (I assume) the transition period helps most folks bumble through. I don't need a lengthy transition period because I am already where I need to be.

It's a strange, heady sensation. I haven't been this happy for this long ever before. All a sudden I'm excited about food again, spending time browsing recipe websites and planning meals. For years on end I've only cooked because I had to, eaten because my body demanded food. Now I'm cooking for the joy of it, excited by the promise of challenge.

There will be challenges, I know. I may be naive, but I'm not THAT naive. I know all the anti-veggie rhetoric and have used most of it at one time or another. Thing is, I really don't care. For the first time in my life, I know I'm doing the right thing...and am finally strong enough to brush off the naysayers.

This is gonna be fun!
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Re: I'm Full of Beans!

Postby mirjana » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:44 pm

=0) I understand what you mean. I have also been vegetarian last 15 years and it really feels good.
I have always enjoyed cooking and it was one of my creative places, but after becoming a vegetarian it became even more interesting. This brought a lot of other interesting information about food and the whole approach toward nutrition has changed for the better.
From my personal experience I can only welcome your decision and wish you to stay on that path.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Agate » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:04 pm

As this section is described as "members' diaries, journals, etc" I figured here was the place to verbally sort through this rather drastic change in myself. I do tend to stay inside my own head far too much...and anyway, for some reason just writing in my notebooks didn't feel right for this one.

It's a very odd sensation to be both drastically changed yet essentially the same. Logically I know that the only substantive thing that has altered is dietary. Okay, so I no longer eat meat. So what? From the outside it looks like such a small change, yet I can feel the difference in the marrow of my bones.

To date, Daisy is the only one of my inner circle who knows about this change. Supportive though she is, she's also confused. Just last night she asked me "Well, why can't you take a day off, enjoy a steak dinner once in a while?" She didn't seem to believe me when I told her that the mere thought turns my stomach. Even though she doesn't really understand, she's ready and wiling to be supportive. That's the main reason I told her first, because the rest of said circle is not likely to be as easily convinced that this is going to stick.

How do I explain to my incredibly pragmatic family that I'm doing this because "it just feels right"? I suppose I could trot out all the standard reasons for going veggie; better health, more eco-friendly, etc. Problem with that is that valid as all those reasons are, they're not MY reason. I'm doing this because of a gut feeling, and as such my reasoning is invalid in their eyes.

I've got a small wager going inside my head on this. If I choose to not-tell my parents, let them see the changes on their own, I figure it'll be nearly Halloween before either of them notice. (Specific date is Oct. 11, Mom's birthday.) I'm choosing to remain silent because I don't want or need their negativity. By successfully living this way for 5 months, I'll be able to prove to them that yes, this is a real, valid, change. By that point, the habit will be so ingrained that they can be as negative as they want; it's not going to make me change course. That's probably true now...but I'd really rather not put it to the test yet!

Oh, and lest I forget, thanks for the welcome, Mirjana. Even in the short time I've been following this path I've seen positive changes in myself. I don't believe I've ever felt this kind of joy before...and that was and is the dominant emotion I associate with this change. This is too good a feeling to relinquish, so this is the road I stay upon!
Agate

Postby dermot » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Beans, Marrow, Meat, Bones, Daisy, Daisy & steak(!)(?), Stomach, Gut, Co(a)urse, Fledgling, Vegetarian, Bee, Pig, Pork, Omnivore, Herbivore.

Hmmm, interesting....the bare bones of a romantic love poem methnks.
d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Kudos: 52

Postby Agate » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:27 am

dermot wrote:Beans, Marrow, Meat, Bones, Daisy, Daisy & steak(!)(?), Stomach, Gut, Co(a)urse, Fledgling, Vegetarian, Bee, Pig, Pork, Omnivore, Herbivore.

Hmmm, interesting....the bare bones of a romantic love poem methnks.
d.

Um. Not too sure about that one, Dermot...but there are seeds of a grate protest song! Mind you, my dad does not yet know that I'm a vegetarian now, and he sent me this! I'm laughing so hard I can barely breathe!!

(I'm having trouble getting the YouTube clip to embed, so please bear with me!)

... r_embedded
Agate

Postby Ryan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:14 am

Sorry, couldn't watch the video as the URL is incomplete...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby Sabina » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:28 am

Agate wrote:As this section is described as "members' diaries, journals, etc" I figured here was the place to verbally sort through this rather drastic change in myself. I do tend to stay inside my own head far too much...and anyway, for some reason just writing in my notebooks didn't feel right for this one.

Agate,
Would you like to start a DS journal about your journey towards herbivorism?
It could be a forum like these others in DS Breeze: The Cloggernaugh West Diaries, Somewhere in Between, etc.
The title for your journal is up to you.

__4__

As for the Youtube video, to add a simple link, use the little "globe" button: Image
It's safer, and it ensures that the link won't change.

When you click it, the following code will appear:
Code: Select all
[url][/url]

You can either place the web address between the opening and closing tags:
[url]WEBADDRESSHERE[/url]

Or, you can do something like this:
[url=LINKTITLEHERE]WEBADDRESSHERE[/url]
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Agate » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:32 pm

I would LOVE to have a DS journal for this journey, Sabina! Thanks! And thanks for the tips on embedding videos. Once I get some coffee into my system I'll take a deeper look.
Agate

Postby Agate » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:15 pm

Ok, I'm gonna work on getting that video embedded, but just in case it doesn't work, I'll post the lyrics. The song is called "Carrot Juice Is Murder" by the Arrogant Worms.

Listen up brothers and sisters,
come hear my desperate tale.
I speak of our friends of nature,
trapped in the dirt like a jail.

Vegetables live in oppression,
served on our tables each night.
This killing of veggies is madness,
I say we take up the fight.

Salads are only for murderers,
coleslaw's a fascist regime.
Don't think that they don't have feelings,
just cause a radish can't scream.

Chorus:
I've heard the screams of the vegetables (scream, scream, scream)
Watching their skins being peeled (having their insides revealed)
Grated and steamed with no mercy (burning off calories)
How do you think that feels (bet it hurts really bad)
Carrot juice constitutes murder (and that's a real crime)
Greenhouses prisons for slaves (let my vegetables go)
It's time to stop all this gardening (it's dirty as hell)
Let's call a spade a spade (is a spade is a spade is a spade)

I saw a man eating celery,
so I beat him black and blue.
If he ever touches a sprout again,
I'll bite him clean in two.

I'm a political prisoner,
trapped in a windowless cage.
Cause I stopped the slaughter of turnips
by killing five men in a rage

I told the judge when he sentenced me,
This is my finest hour,
I'd kill those farmers again
just to save one more cauliflower

Chorus

How low as people do we dare to stoop,
Making young broccolis bleed in the soup?
Untie your beans, uncage your tomatoes
Let potted plants free, don't mash that potato!

I've heard the screams of the vegetables (scream, scream, scream)
Watching their skins being peeled (fates in the stirfry are sealed)
Grated and steamed with no mercy (you fat gormet slob)
How do you think that feels? (leave them out in the field)
Carrot juice constitutes murder (V8's genocide)
Greenhouses prisons for slaves (yes, your composts are graves)
It's time to stop all this gardening (take up macrame)
Let's call a spade a spade (is a spade, is a spade, is a spade, is a spade.....
Agate

Return to Full of Beans