How You came to be You

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Re: How You came to be You

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:44 pm

Old spirits handle spirits better! =0@
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:48 pm

So it has a lot to do with how we handle change and emotions.
GenerousGeorge

Postby Sabina » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:55 pm

George,

It's about how we handle life in general I think. Change, emotions, unhappy events, nuisances,.. pretty much everything.
Also, what we want out of life.
Where is the focus... and is it our own focus, or have we been completely brainwashed to truly just (think we) want what we are told we should want.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Alvino » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Where is the focus... and is it our own focus, or have we been completely brainwashed to truly just (think we) want what we are told we should want.

Folks, Quote I have an incrediable strong belief that most of what the majority of what YOU HUMANS ARE / BELIEVE / DO / or have PASSIONS for was SEEDED by LIES OUR PARENTS/elders told us and FERTILIZED by our possible fear of working out of the ruts that
these lies placed us in.. Unquote.
motivated for most of our early years (1 to 42 or so)

Again, I say because we were young in most cases we misinterpreted what we seen our
parents/elders say or do .
example DO NOT USE PEOPLE = and they added you are bad / evil if you USE OTHERS.
This is at least 82 percent a LIE.

ADDED all humans are biased and own prejudices during most of our lifes =

again i repeat NUTURE is the major cause for what we are = loving parents cause us to make choices - strive to fulfill their wishes for us and parents who hate or appear to hate us cause us to make choices = chose the character or interests that will force us to our BECOMING work
or our BEING achievements.
we all have BECOMING traits and BEING traits.
these Terms may be related to that guy who created the Hiarchy of Needs
must rush off to Mass = due to 1000's of years of Family forces or teachings.
Alvino

State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

Postby Randall » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:31 pm

Why are you you?
To which degree do you believe you have been influenced by your genes, your upbringing, your education and social surroundings?
How much of you is the way it is due to past life experiences and what is in the "stars"?
Are the two connected (if you at all believe in reincarnation)?
What do you base your conclusions on?

This isn't about what is proven, or what you "know beyond doubt", but rather what you think and/or feel.

That’s a difficult question. The more I watch and observe the more this idea of how much we are influenced and by what changes. Several years ago I was able to see first hand just how strong genes are. When I was 27 I learned that I had a niece that was only 11 months younger than I am. I learned of this because she had tracked down her mother and from her she had found my parents, her grand-parents. She was given up for adoption by my oldest sister at birth and no one in the family ever spoke of it, one of those wonderful family secrets you hear about. At any rate, she had grown up in another part of the country with adoptive parents in another family. When we all first met each other it was amazing for all of us. The way she looked and moved, her pattern of speech and thought, even her personality, to a very large degree was remarkably similar to her mothers. It left no doubt to any of us that she was definitely family. Genetics are huge, much greater than I would have ever given credit if I’d never had an experience like this.

But, as you point out, there are other factors as well that contribute to things. It seems to me that there are things that are easier to over-ride than others. I’ve met several people that have changed over the years. You could see how relevant their “stars” where in their personality, how relevant their upbringing or surroundings had been, and then there were things that just didn’t seem to belong to their genes or their stars nor their social surroundings and as time progressed they went beyond these parts of their personality.

To my way of thinking its our soul that is the predominate factor. I think we choose our birth before we come to this plane of existence, we choose our parents (genetics) the social surroundings and the time of our birth etc so that we stand the best chance of remembering who we are and why we are. Our spirit or soul is always at the helm, directing us toward a greater understanding, however I don’t believe that it’s a singular understanding we come here to live solely, but rather a group understanding that drives us forward in our growth. We come here for each other as much as for self.
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 17

Postby mirjana » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:35 pm

I agree with George that how we handle change and emotions is very important part of understanding all answers we answered in regard to Sabina's question. In that sense this topic interacts with the new one Randal has opened: vortices-p2576.html#p2576
as well as with one about water or any other where we have discussed our personal approach to that how to understand our negative emotions and how to approach them in order to transform them into their opposite.

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Metatron » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Ah reincarnation. I don't know if I do or do not want to believe in it and whether it matters at all or not. It surely does make sense; after all, I have a consciousness, I have my mind, I have my ego. If there is no Heaven, or any other kind of afterlife, then reincarnation would make sense, it's easier for me to imagine that than to believe I cease to exist. But in that sense, my fantastic view of the world that I am trying to express in my book makes sense to me too, it is still not a reason for me to believe in it...

So in my answer I am going to ignore reincarnation, as that would be speculation and I try to avoid that when possible. Some of you have read my intro, two of you know me better than the rest ;0) , so those will be familiar with some or all of the things I am going to write. It was my "three moms" who have had the most significant influence on my life. My Christian grandmother had given me my sense of morality, and pretty much made me into a softy. Whether that is a good or a bad thing I'm not quite sure of. My mom made it easy for me to ask questions. Whatever question I had, no matter what it was, she would answer me. And my other grandmother made sure I had an overall good life with everything I need. My grand -jerk - father taught me of the negative side of alcohol, in the most unpleasant way, but in the end it was of benefit. And my bisexuality has given me an understanding for people, for those who are unfortunate (or fortunate?) to be different than the rest.

My genes I think, have influenced me a lot too. My mom keeps telling me that I am a lot like my father. I believe this to be because of genes, since he's never had a significant role in my life. I am usually flegmatic, I don't like it when people try to walk over me and I always make that very clear, no matter who it is or what the consequences may be. I've heard my father is like that too.

As far as "the stars" are concerned, I rather give myself the credit for who I am, be it positive or negative attributes. I don't know how they affect me and I don't think I want to either. It makes me feel more like me, instead of just a character in a role playing PC game.
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Postby Heidi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:09 am

Whatever we are now, the way we feel and act, our ideas and feelings are all of our own choice. A choice that was made before we were born. Just like actors, we choose the role we want to play on this stage and the other actors in the same play come to be our friends and family.

It doesn't matter if the character we play is of the hero or the villain because it's just a role. Just like actors we collect the experience from many different roles until we become so good at acting, as to win the Oscar Award!

I absolutely believe in reincarnation. Each of our lifetimes takes us closer to our ultimate goal, whatever that is. For me it's self realization and God realization, which may seem as two different things but in fact they are one.
Heidi

State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 17

Postby GenerousGeorge » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:01 pm

I understand what everyone is saying and instinctively I think there is a lot of truth in it. But, what do you think about learning in the moment and "It is always the moment". Past lives infers that time is real when I suspect it is an illusion of change. I seem to get closer to "how it really is" when I think about it without reference to time, but just change.

Even though I cannot really get my mind around it. =0o
GenerousGeorge

Postby Sabina » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:30 pm

George,

The video clip from the movie "Waking Life" (I already posted it in the "Time as a limitation" topic) addresses what you are talking about, I think, and provides an interesting theory on time, and us in time. Have a look:

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology