How to be Fearless

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

How to be Fearless

Postby Sabina » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:14 am

We may be born fearless, but not everyone ends up as a fearless adult.
Inspired by our definition of FEAR topic, I thought we could dedicate a thread to various methods of getting rid of fear - for those who are at all interested in that.

__11__

Method 1: EFT

I came across something called EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), which is kind of like acupuncture but without the needles. It falls in the category of alternative psychotherapy.

The theory of EFT is that fear and negative emotions are caused by disturbances in the body's energy field.

The idea is that by tapping on the appropriate meridian points on your body you release energy blockages that can cause negative emotions, hence neutralizing your fear.

It is something you can do yourself, so there is no price tag attached, as far as I know. I haven't tried this personally. It is said that it can help with fear, trauma, PTSD, pain, addictions, allergies, blood pressure, and other things.

Sabina

PS: Deepak Chopra supposedly said that "EFT offers great healing benefits". At any rate, it does seem worth a try. Here is an extensive (and free) PDF manual on how exactly you can help yourself:
eftmanual.pdf
(616.83 KiB) Downloaded 1323 times

__11__

Method 2: Sedona

The Sedona method seems to be more simple than EFT, and it is also a self-help-tool. Basically it is about asking yourself a few specific though simple questions.
They say that "the Sedona method liberates you without you needing to feel more pain and without having to figure out why".
However, the drawback to this one is that it is not free, while EFT (above) is free.

__11__

My Suggestion

Fear is something we all deal with eventually, and we usually do so in different ways. It could possibly be helpful to someone if we all offer our individual ways of dealing with fear.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Atisha Breathing Method

Postby mirjana » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:28 am

I would also recommend the EFT method for long lasting fears that have developed into phobias. I am quite familiar with EFT and use it personally and in my work with clients, as well as the more developed version of that which is PEAT. It has gone further in the sense to treat not only an effect which is a concrete manifestation of fear, but it reveals the reason behind it, or the cause of it and solves it in its core. Peat (Basic, Deep and DP4) is not for free when one is treated by a therapist, but it is also a method that can be learned in workshops and after that regularly applied as a personal spiritual cleansing tool for solving self problems as well the problems of others whom we want to help.

Aside of these, there is another very simple tool, which is Atisha breathing method.
It is to be used for shortcomings, for rush or sudden fear attacks and it is quite efficient for such cases.
So-called positive thinkers of the west when talking about breathing say "When you breathe out, throw out all your misery and negativity; and when you breathe in, breathe in joy, positivity, happiness, cheerfulness". It proved to be wrong, as by running away from the problem we only cause it to persist.
Atisha is the opposite. When you breathe in, breathe in your concrete manifestation of fear, which means define it precisely. And when you breathe out, breathe out the opposite of the fear manifestation.
For example, I have a fear of meeting somebody. I define it precisely, like;”I am afraid to meet this…”
Then I chose the feeling which is the opposite of the first one, like:”I am happy (relax…) to meet this…”
When breathing in I say in my mind the first statement:” I am afraid to meet this…”
When breathing out I say in my mind the second:” I am happy (relax or something else you figure as your opposite) to meet this…”
This breathing exercise is then practiced for few minutes.
It brings magical results.

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: How to be Fearless

Postby mirjana » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:53 pm

There are natural ways to address anxiety. Try the following:

1.Avoid coffee and other forms of caffeine as they can heighten anxiety.

2.Passionflower is known as a natural, mild sedative that is safer than pharmaceuticals.
The recommended dosage for adults are:
Infusions: 2.5g, 3 to 4 times daily
Teas: Tea made from 4 to 8g of dried herb, daily
Liquid Extract: 10 to 30 drops, 3 times daily
Tincture: 10 to 60 drops, 3 times daily
As with any natural supplement, you should read the product label and discuss appropriate dosages with a qualified health care provider.

4.Supplements with B vitamins and magnesium are sometimes helpful in dealing with the symptoms of anxiety.

5.If nothing of these help, consider seeking professional therapy in order to be slowly introduce to the specific situations you fear. I can highly recommend PEAT as very efficient in different cases of anxiety.
mirjana

Postby Rachel » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:13 pm

I agree with the B vitamin supplements, mirjana. Also the passionflower, lovely to see extensive knowledge about the natural world treating human symptoms.

Hypericum (St John's Wort) has also been clinically trialled as a very effective natural anti depressant. A cautionary word does precede this - if a person is being treated with a course of anti depressents (SSRIs, MAOIs) it is mandatory to take ONE or the other as to consume both concurrently may have severe physical consequences.

Happy to go into more depth about the chemical efficacy of both the pharmaceutical and natural remedies mentioned if anyone wants.
Rachel

Favorite book: The Last Battle - C.S.Lewis
Favorite movie: Dogma
Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 3

Postby mirjana » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi Rachel,

I am, very much. =0) So, what else about it you can tell us?
As it seems you are also interested in natural healing and remedies, there are another two forums: Natural Healing and Gifts of Nature where you also can post useful information.
mirjana

Postby Rachel » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Thanks mirjana, I'll post in the relevant forum =0)
Rachel

Favorite book: The Last Battle - C.S.Lewis
Favorite movie: Dogma
Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 3

Return to Psychology