How much is your soul worth

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

How much is your soul worth

Postby Sabina » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:22 pm

George posted a video of a girl singing. She has an amazing voice, however after her performance she was told:
"Change your hair, change your dress, change you shoes, and you will win this tournament"

That upset me... a lot.

George said she took the advice and won the whole thing. That made me sad.

Pat added:
"Sabina entertainment is never about the real person but what they can turn you into... "

..and Mirjana added to that:
"This girl is amazing. Thank you George. It is clear that she will be a great star.
I agree with Sabina, but those seem to be rules in this show business world and not much can be done to change them. Pat explained it well."

I was inspired to reply to Mirjana there, but this has nothing anymore to do with stimulating music, so therefore the new topic.

How much is your soul worth?

That's what this is to me. What I find especially confusing are statements like "She is amazing".
How so?
Her voice may be amazing.. that's true.
But the moment she agrees to becoming a puppet, it's gone... there is nothing amazing about her anymore. What, an amazing puppet? Big deal... puppets are for sale.. and when you admire a puppet, you actually admire the artist who is behind it, and not the doll itself.

What are your thoughts?

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: How much is your soul worth

Postby Ryan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:15 pm

When you speak about the truly great performers I don't believe they are the one's that market themselves based upon public opinion. The Doors performing "Light My Fire" on the Ed Sullivan Show and not giving in to changing their lyrics. Elvis Presley when television shows wouldn't film him dancing below the waist because it was "perverse". Those are the ones that have something to say and to whom others listen. Those are the ones that will stand the tests of time and even have rumors of still being alive... They are the special ones... those that don't fall into that 60 percentile.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby Sabina » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:24 pm

Right... and you are kind of proving my point. By agreeing to such a start, by selling herself out this girl, for example, gave up the possibility to be something before it even started.
So, the best she can be is yet another forgettable pop star, like these...

=0/
S.
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby mirjana » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Sabina wrote:..and Mirjana added to that:
"This girl is amazing. Thank you George. It is clear that she will be a great star.
I agree with Sabina, but those seem to be rules in this show business world and not much can be done to change them. Pat explained it well."

I was inspired to reply to Mirjana there, but this has nothing anymore to do with stimulating music, so therefore the new topic...

I would like first to address this one.
I am happy that I "inspired" you Sabina to put this topic because it opens an interesting question and it is possible that it will bring some insightful thoughts about one strange and quite frightening phenomenon.
Sabina wrote:
How much is your soul worth?

That's what this is to me. What I find especially confusing are statements like "She is amazing".
How so?
Her voice may be amazing.. that's true.
But the moment she agrees to becoming a puppet, it's gone... there is nothing amazing about her anymore. What, an amazing puppet? Big deal... puppets are for sale.. and when you admire a puppet, you actually admire the artist who is behind it, and not the doll itself.

As about my words "She is amazing", I stay by this. She is 11, and according to her words she wants to sing. She is amazing already for knowing what she wants and following that desire. Being only 11 I can hardly believe that she could oppose her parents , even if thinking differently. They are her mentors for the time of such age. Your critic is more for them than for her. To judge her that she will become like the dolls in this video is too hard as she has just started and maybe she will be completely different in the most positive way. The time will show that.

Sabina wrote:What are your thoughts?
Sabina

Well, however this world of show influences the growing of young people in many bad ways, by forcing values that are not to be forced, there are other aspects of life, like education system, or the whole medical/pharmacology system that influence the whole generation in much worse way .
That what one bad professor or physician can do to many generations, is much worse that the impact of one pop star.
I see life as a pendulum and therefore do believe and hope that whatever course it has taken for the time being, even if it doesn't seem to be the most promising to me, it will take then another one and in that swinging it will find the golden middle. I do not consider myself though competent to judge which course has been happening at this time, but I am sure that somehow it serves the purpose of the whole cycles of change.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:53 pm

My criticism is of the guy who said that, of all those who support it, of her parents and of her as well. I openly criticize all of them.
=0o

Mirjana wrote:That what one bad professor or physician can do to many generations, is much worse that the impact of one pop star.

The topic isn't about the impact of a pop star.

Mirjana wrote:I see life as a pendulum and therefore do believe and hope that whatever course it has taken for the time being, even if it doesn't seem to be the most promising to me, it will take then another one and in that swinging it will find the golden middle. I do not consider myself though competent to judge which course has been happening at this time, but I am sure that somehow it serves the purpose of the whole cycles of change.

80|
What you wrote, to me, sounds like you are saying that everything is as it should be... which means, we can just sit back passively and do nothing, yes?

In another topic you mentioned the proverb...
"There are none so blind as those, that will not see"

That applies with everything in life - everything! This included.

Sabina
Sabina

Postby mirjana » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Sabina wrote:What you wrote, to me, sounds like you are saying that everything is as it should be... which means, we can just sit back passively and do nothing, yes?

I meant it in the sence that if it weren't like it is, it would be different, wouldn' t it?
Sabina wrote:In another topic you mentioned the proverb...
"There are none so blind as those, that will not see"

That applies with everything in life - everything! This included.
Sabina

Yes, Sabina, and because I also thought that we have thought about everything in life, I mentioned other things that are connected with selling the soul. Impact is connected with selling the soul. Young people are tempted to do so because of the way how indoctrinated they are which is the result of somebody's work. Therefore I mentioned some other works where people, who are involved, not only sell their soul because of money, but influence the world by that and not in the good way.
What is the meaning of your question? What did you want to reveal by that?
mirjana

Postby dermot » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:45 pm

Oh dear, this topic is as wide as the gates of heaven are narrow.

To me its more about 'Stardom' and media led popularity....both of which set out to market the 'next big thing'. The 'next big thing' needs a hook, something finite which will capture an audience (money), and not hang around too long so the 'next big thing' can have its impact.

Maybe there is another level to consider?

Should anyone of a tender age be singled out for media exposure or adulation. Does it help them or hinder them. Is it for their benefit or someone else's benefit.

Are we all born equal, do we all have the possibility to shine, on our own terms, at a time that suits our wishes, or not at all if we so desire.
At such a young stage in our development, should we not be learning the value of true humility, of how service to others is part of our fundamental needs, rather than which celebrity look a like we should become?

Its obvious to me that our children, are being sold out to lowest common denominator influences, in terms of behaviour, fashion, expectation and potential.
Yeah its great that a kid has a beautiful voice, it can become a poisoned chalice as easily as the one handed to neglected children by their parents/guardians.

I KNOW....lets have a reality tv show where neglected children are followed by a camera crew for a few years, then we get the 'highlights' distilled down into a neat bite sized weekly window.
Or should that read Mirror.

My soul is worth at least as much as anyone else's, its probably not a marketable commodity though, maybe im one of the lucky ones!!!!????
d
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby mirjana » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:17 pm

dermot wrote:...

Maybe there is another level to consider?

Should anyone of a tender age be singled out for media exposure or adulation. Does it help them or hinder them. Is it for their benefit or someone else's benefit.

I do not believe that it helps them. It hinders them as it influences unifications and destroys personality and originality of each persona.
dermot wrote:Are we all born equal, do we all have the possibility to shine, on our own terms, at a time that suits our wishes, or not at all if we so desire.
At such a young stage in our development, should we not be learning the value of true humility, of how service to others is part of our fundamental needs, rather than which celebrity look a like we should become?

That is the reason I was talking about fatal influence in schools and education. If schools would give motivating and creative support to individuality everything would be easier. The movie “Dead Poet Society" has shown all aspects of this phenomenon (good teacher, the meaningful influence of the true education, power of grey eminency). According to this move, one boy killed himself, another acted accordingly. Does it mean that things stay as they are or change so slowly that it almost hurts?

dermot wrote:Its obvious to me that our children, are being sold out to lowest common denominator influences, in terms of behaviour, fashion, expectation and potential.
Yeah its great that a kid has a beautiful voice, it can become a poisoned chalice as easily as the one handed to neglected children by their parents/guardians.

I KNOW....lets have a reality tv show where neglected children are followed by a camera crew for a few years, then we get the 'highlights' distilled down into a neat bite sized weekly window.
Or should that read Mirror.

My soul is worth at least as much as anyone else's, its probably not a marketable commodity though, maybe im one of the lucky ones!!!!????
d

I cannot agree more, Dermot. But, most common behavior is to follow celebrities and talk, walk, sing, dress and ...as they do. =0(
If this media would give half of this attention to true values, we would have a different world. But, they are the right hand of those who needs followers and do their best to produce the huge number of brain washed followers who have forgotten who they really are.
mirjana

Postby GenerousGeorge » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:37 am

Hmmmmm...... I have a different "take" on this than the others who have commented so far....Sabina maybe you find what your looking for to some degree. This is entertainment television........ Entertainment is not just about the girls singing voice, it is about her total presentation. Part of what he said and how he said it was for entertainment purposes, however that does not make them wrong or out of place. (particularly if they were true) However, I could also tell from the expression on his face during the performance that he was entranced by the performance and had nothing but good will for the contestant.

Therefore, I did not take those remarks as "hostile" or "demeaning". I took them to mean......."You are amazing, I loved your voice, enthusiam and presentation. I do not think your clothes are doing your amazing talent justice. Fix that component of the total entertainment presentation and you will win the competition." (she did win it by the way.) B0)

I judge things like this from what I perceive the intention of the person to be, the totality of his comments,the spirit in which it's given and my perceived intention of what he was trying to do.

I have the advantage of having watched this fellow comment on a couple dozen contestants, so I have a better feel for the kind of person he is and what he meant by those remarks,

He did not ask her to "Sell her soul!" =0o LOL......just change the style of her clothing to one more appropriate for her style of singing. you seemed to be (a little anyway =0/ ) looking for an issue to "fix". At least that's my impression. 80S

I think a balanced perspective is important and felt your take on this was a little harsh, out of balance and unfair to the intentions of the judge based on my overall total impression I had from this particular judge. <3
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Sabina » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:43 pm

=0) George,
Whether he was "entranced by the performance" or not has nothing to do with this. The fact that this is entertainment television changes the relevance of his comment how exactly? Does something that is wrong become right simply because its goal is to appeal to the masses and entertain them?

GenerousGeorge wrote:He did not ask her to "Sell her soul!" =0o LOL......just change the style of her clothing to one more appropriate for her style of singing. you seemed to be (a little anyway =0/ ) looking for an issue to "fix". At least that's my impression. 80S

=0@
Hmmm... so what does it mean for you to "sell one's soul"? With what does it begin? What act does it take so you can say "this person has now sold their soul"?

Sabina
Sabina

Next

Return to Spirited Debate