House-Tree-Person Test

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

House-Tree-Person Test

Postby Sabina » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:30 pm

The house-tree-person test is a famous projective personality test (see below), it can be used to test anyone over the age of three.

A projective test, in psychology, is a personality test designed to let a person respond to ambiguous stimuli, presumably revealing hidden emotions and internal conflicts. This is different from an "objective test" in which responses are analyzed according to a universal standard (for example, a multiple choice exam). Projective tests have their origins in psychoanalytic psychology, which argues that humans have conscious and unconscious attitudes and motivations that are beyond or hidden from conscious awareness.

The HTP test begins by giving the person one sheet of plain paper, asking them to draw a house, as good as they can. When they are done, you present them with questions, such as: Who lives in the house, how do they feel, are they happy, do people visit there, etc.

Next you give them a second piece of paper, asking them to draw a tree, as good as they can. Upon completion of the tree drawing, again questions: How old is this tree, what kind of tree is it, who waters the tree, does it get enough sunshine, etc.

Finally you give them a third and last piece of paper, asking them to draw a person. The drawing is again followed by question about the person: Who is the person, how old are they, how do they feel, what does the person love to do, what does the person not like, who takes care of them, and so on.

The way the pictures are drawn can be interpreted and the answers to the questions provide additional insight. Interpreting the HTP is difficult and is supposed to be done by properly trained individuals, however, if you are aware that you are not (properly trained), but think you are equipped with open-mindedness and love of exploration, it could be entertaining to improvise.
Results should, especially in that case, not be used for any kind of judgment.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: House-Tree-Person Test

Postby mirjana » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:16 pm

I can imagine that this kind of psychological exercises must be valuable when working with children as it could help in recognizing what motivate their choices and how they observe people around them.
I shall play it with my grandchildren.

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Psychology