Heaven and Hell

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Heaven and Hell

Postby elephantman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:51 pm

Heaven & Hell,

Where are they? do they truly exist or are they the carrot and stick for the children of mankind.

Still for most of man heaven and hell have there purpose.

I for one in my sixty's have completely drifted away form this concept.

Where do you Stand and why?
elephantman

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Jane Ayre
Favorite movie: onion field
Things I like: Books, Music, the outdoors, friends, cooking, tennis, horses,
State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 0

Re: Heaven and Hell

Postby mirjana » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:05 pm

I have never been into the religious concept of heaven and hell and I am grateful for growing up without this doctrine.
But, psychologically, literally or mythologically(and we all have been exposed to the teachings and influences of these kind), I think that we are creators of our personal heaven and hell here and now depending what kind of dominant mental or emotional state we put ourselves in.
One of movies that describes beautifully our personal ability to create whatever we want, regardless the outside world is "Life Is Beautiful",(Italian: La vita è bella), Italian film made in 1997 which tells the story of a Jewish Italian, Guido Orefice, whose imagination and creative force and love helped his family during their internment in a Nazi concentration camp. Roberto Benigni directed this film and co-wrote it. He also played the main role.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby dermot » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi and welcome Eplephant man....

Heaven and Hell are words, just words, they dont mean anything other than the context they are used in.
Growing up in the Catholic church gave me an intense dislike of anything stated in negative terms. Fear was the underlying threat around the heaven and hell myth.

It should be enough to go within and feel what is the best way to be, rather than have a designated stranger tell us how to be or how to behave. I think humanity struggles to identify Love, and this is because we have been given mixed messages. Because we dont identify with Love, we dont use it as the natural way to be in any situation...and we stumble from one hurt to causing another.

For me, i have to act from the heart and not use anothers words as reasons to walk away from my own Truth..

d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby mirjana » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:10 am

dermot wrote:Hi and welcome Eplephant man....

Heaven and Hell are words, just words, they dont mean anything other than the context they are used in.
Growing up in the Catholic church gave me an intense dislike of anything stated in negative terms. Fear was the underlying threat around the heaven and hell myth.

It should be enough to go within and feel what is the best way to be, rather than have a designated stranger tell us how to be or how to behave. I think humanity struggles to identify Love, and this is because we have been given mixed messages. Because we dont identify with Love, we dont use it as the natural way to be in any situation...and we stumble from one hurt to causing another.

For me, i have to act from the heart and not use anothers words as reasons to walk away from my own Truth..

d.

[El]
Great answer.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Return to Spirited Debate