Healing Herbs - Calcium Herbs

Discuss natural remedies, the knowledge of herbs,
magic potions and strengthening brews.

Healing Herbs - Calcium Herbs

Postby mirjana » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:30 am

I belong to people who believe in the healing properties of herbs and have always applied them since I took care of my family and myself consciously. Before that time, during my youth I have been fascinated with my grandfathers natural treatments and over time I have learned a lot from him. Later, when I married, my husband's mother taught me a lot. She was a sage when using herbs and very good in giving her knowledge and experience further. I learned many recipes from her and I have been applying them since then, giving forward this precious knowledge to my own children.
In this beautiful forum Gifts of Nature, I shall give some of this hoping that this will help other people as much as it helped me and my family.

One of basic information when using herbs is to know which one serves the best for the particular purpose, categorized the way we are use to in daily life. So instead to buy calcium pills, why not first give a try to one of natural sources of calcium. Have in mind that cultivated vegetables generally have less calcium than wild plants.

Calcium Herbs and other sources of Calcium
Being in nature you can easily find many of them.
Chamomile, Chives, Tormentil root, Dill, Horsetail, Colts foot...carrots, cauliflower, seaweeds(kelp, wakame, hijiki), nuts and seeds (almonds, sesame...), beans, figs, oranges, quinoa, amaranth, okra, broccoli,blackstrap molasses, and of course milk.
A very good source of calcium, not so much known is eggshell, which can be ground into a powder and mixed into food or a glass of water and taken as the first thing in the morning.

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: Healing Herbs - Calcium Herbs

Postby Sabina » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:44 pm

I was curious to see which food is the richest in calcium and while the exact amounts per measure seem to vary depending on the source, they all generally agree that milk is the most potent source of calcium, followed by cheese and yogurt.

As for non dairy foods, the best seem to be sesame seeds, spinach and collard greens.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Some more information about Calcium

Postby mirjana » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:03 pm

From all minerals the most we have in our body is calcium.
Almost all of it is in our bones and teeth.
Calcium and Phosphor are responsible for the healthy condition of our bones and teeth. In the healthy organism They are in the relation 2 units of Calcium and 1 Phosphor unit. It is good to know that for the case when one takes supplements.
Calcium and Magnesium are responsible for the healthy condition of our Cardio vascular system. It is here the same principle like with Calcium and Phosphor. When one takes supplements, it should be 2 units of Calcium and one unit of Magnesium.

Useful information
Lot of fat, lot of chocolate and lot of wheat stop total absorption of calcium. Too much of Phosphor decreases Calcium.
For the good absorption of Calcium we should have enough of Vitamin D
The best know as natural Calcium source is Dolomit.Dolomit is a natural combination of Calcium and Magnesium and for the assimilation it is not necessary to have vitamin D like with other Calcium supplements. Only, in this case, what should be checked is the reliability of a producer, as Dolomite could have lot of Lead. It is recommended to make an analysis in order to be sure.

Some symptoms that could be sign of lack of Calcium
Back pain
Menstrual Syndromes
Young people who are in the process of growing and feel body aches
Sleeplessness
Nervos reactions

Mirjana
mirjana

Re: Healing Herbs - Calcium Herbs

Postby mirjana » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:12 pm

Sabina wrote:I was curious to see which food is the richest in calcium and while the exact amounts per measure seem to vary depending on the source, they all generally agree that milk is the most potent source of calcium, followed by cheese and yogurt.

As for non dairy foods, the best seem to be sesame seeds, spinach and collard greens.
Sabina

Everage need of cacium in mg for people between the ages of 25 and 50 is 1000 mg of calcium daily. Older or younger need more than that. It is very important mineral for our our diet. Therefore it us useful to know where to find the best calcium sources. It is already quite well known that eating almonds, chestnuts, walnuts, sesame seeds, or sunflower seeds can also increase the amount of calcium.

Food Sources of Calcium

Almonds, Asparagus (http://www.deepspirits.com/exploration/istria-terra-magica-t413.html#p4153 ), Avocados, Brewer’s yeast, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carob, Cheese, Milk(cow and goat), Dandelion greens, Dulse, Figs, Green leafy vegetables, Kale, Oats, Prunes, Salmon, Sardines, Seafood,Soybeans, Tofu, Whey, Yougurt

Herb sources of Calcium

Cayenne, Chamomile,Flafseed, Fennel seed, Horsetail, Nettle, Oat straw, Paprika, Parsley, Peppermint, Raspberry leaves, Red clover, Rose hips...
mirjana

Return to Gifts of Nature