Happy Songs

That ancient art form whose medium is sound.
Melody, harmony, rhythm and inspiration.

Happy Songs

Postby Sabina » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Daywhite mentioned somewhere that he has never been one for happy songs, and I think Dermot and I once also had a similar chat, and I am sure others here can sympathize (judging by what we post "on average"), however... there is some music that makes me happy. Music that always transforms my mood for the better, and I thought it would be interesting to see what such songs are for each of us.

I will begin with "Hasta siempre" by Compay Segundo.. Cuban music, yes.
It is neither fast-paced nor "happy" per se, but it does have the above described effect on me.

"Mondo Bongo", by Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros

"Assassin's Tango", by John Powell

"Candela" by Buena Vista Social Club

I will add more, for certain, but I look forward to your choices in the mean time!
<3
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Happy Songs

Postby mirjana » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Happy Songs, yes we needed that too. <3
Your choice could be mine too. This kind of music awakes the most authentic part of me which is sensuality and passion and I love music that reminds me how beautiful is to be alive and to live the life to the fullest.
To yours there are few mine that I can remember at this very moment.
This Nina Simone is brilliant but esepcially in connection to this great movie scene.

Great movie scene and happy music

Again good swing at the right place in the movie I like very much, not to mention Johnny Depp

And this swingdance is pure happiness

and this one =0) =0D =0@
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Daywhite » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:30 pm

I had to do some pondering, scanning the inter-webs for possibilities, but I did come up with a few songs that simply make me feel good.

I know it's a Beatles' song, and I love the Beatles, but this is my favorite version of this song.
Nina Simone -- Here Comes the Sun

Didn't really intend to add multiple songs by Nina, but I so love this one. When the horns first come in at about :40, oh my, yes. The kind of song that makes me want to jump out of the car at a red-light, and simply dance, some way to release the joy hearing this song brings me.
Nina Simone -- I'm Feeling Good

How can anyone feel bad when listening to Bob? I was out shopping a couple of years ago, and I heard the sound of "Bob" in the distance, some car in the parking lot. I don't remember the song, Three Little Birds, One Love, whatever, but I remember thinking whoever it was in the car couldn't be a bad guy; I couldn't imagine anyone listening to Bob and not feeling they were an essential part of humanity.
Bob Marley -- One Love

I have other songs by Elton that may be favorites, but this is a great feel-good song. Posting this particular video version because they seem to be having so much fun.
Elton John -- I'm Still Standing

This song makes me happy for many reasons. I'm a big Melissa Etheridge fan, she's a cancer survivor, and so many have been affected by that. When I hear this song, I think of my mother, who survived, and my best friend, who didn't, and all the others who continue to fight, who continue to run for life.
Melissa Etheridge-- I Run for Life

I think it would be almost impossible to listen to this song, this version, and not feel good. There's more information about The Langley Schools Music Project on the internet, http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/l/langleyschools-innocence.shtml I have this cd, and love listening to the kids' voices, the beautiful harmony. This is one of the happiest.
Langley Schools Music Project -- I'm Into Something Good

"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby Daywhite » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Mirjana,

I should have known you were a Nina Simone fan, too. Also, Bare Necessities is definitely a true feel good classic. Thanks for adding these. Always nice to share a smile with a friend. =0)
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby Sabina » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:54 am

Siouxsie Sioux About to Happen

No explanation for the above song, but.. it reminded me of Peek-a-boo, which I always loved. A few years ago my children confiscated it. Each time the song would come on, the two of them would start dancing and jumping around, or they would occasionally even ask for it. So.. now it's there's (and mine).

Siouxsie & The Banshees Peek-a-boo

Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Return to Music